VOGONS

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

Hi everyone
I have some trouble in running this fantastic game under Win2k with SP3
I've already red the previous post about this game (titled "Flight of the Amazon Queen"), but disabling EMS and adding those lines in the troubleshooting box doesn't work for me.
I receive this parsing error:

Symbol redefinition (C:\.......\temp\~VLP27DE.INI:9):
The entry 'fixPOPF' was already defined (see C:\.......\temp\~VLP27DE.INI:2)

and then in the DOS box appears "Error: Cannot initialize requested sound driver"

Reply 1 of 28, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Originally posted by Unregistered Symbol redefinition (C:\.......\temp\~VLP27DE.INI:9): The entry 'fixPOPF' was already defined […]
Show full quote

Originally posted by Unregistered Symbol redefinition (C:\.......\temp\~VLP27DE.INI:9):
The entry 'fixPOPF' was already defined (see C:\.......\temp\~VLP27DE.INI:2)

and then in the DOS box appears "Error: Cannot initialize requested sound driver"

*sigh*
Will probably need Vlad for this...Are you using v2.04 of VDMSound or 2.10?

Reply 3 of 28, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Unregistered I tried both versions... same error

Which version are you running now?... and please tell me you uninstalled VDMSound 2.04 before installing v2.10.

Reply 5 of 28, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Unregistered yes,
first I installed v2.0.4
then I installed v2.1.0

Still didn't tell me if you uninstalled 2.04 before installing 2.10. I'm suspecting a mangled install. From the list of known issues with VDMSound 2.10:

Old installations may not be correctly detected and removed.

Also, the message of 'fixPOPF' being already defined seems indicate this as well. Might check with Snover on the best route to take now...

Reply 7 of 28, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Unregistered I also tried to unistall and install 2.10 with no results

Until Vlad or someone else with Win2K becomes available...about the only thing left to check is if you were running with full administrator's rights when you installed.

Otherwise, there's something about 2000 with SP3 that was a problem, but I can't recall. Maybe it's related to one of these:
showthread.php?s=&threadid=1521&highlight=SP3
showthread.php?s=&threadid=1914&highlight=SP3

Reply 8 of 28, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just checked the game out myself... I also run Win2K (SP4). I get exactly the same symptons. 1st the game doesn't have enough conventional memory so you remove EMS. Then it hangs after the 2nd splash (Warner Games). If you add the fixpop line in as a custom config you get a duplicate entry and looking at the temporary ini file created, indeed it is already placed in there so the entry is definitely a duplicate.

I'm running v2.10 of VDMSound

I previously had uninstalled v2.04. I'm an admistrator of the machine and I had no issues uninstalling v2.04 or installing the latest version.

Reply 9 of 28, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Reckless I just checked the game out myself... I also run Win2K (SP4). I get exactly the same symptons.

So this is a game-specific issue?

1st the game doesn't have enough conventional memory so you remove EMS.

Apparently, even when it has plenty of conventional memory, it's a troublemaker. Note: Even though the supposedly official specs say it needs only 582k conventional memory, I've seen multiple references stating it needs 610K or more.

So apparently, you need >610k conventional + EMS + mouse driver, etc...

Might seriously consider using the CVS version of DosBox instead.

If you add the fixpop line in as a custom config you get a duplicate entry and looking at the temporary ini file created, indeed it is already placed in there so the entry is definitely a duplicate.

So, does this program actually need the fixPoP to work?

Reply 10 of 28, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It does look like a game specific issues - I usually don't have too many issues running stuff with VDMSound.

Deffo a conventional memory hog. I can disable both music and sfx and I can get the game to run OK. Sorta misses the point tho 😀

DOSBox and my soundcard (Live!Value) haven't gotten on that well - lots of static/garbled sounds out of one channel only?! I've had it happen very very occasionaly using Winamp but I've no idea why! I've not tried the CVS tho.

Reply 12 of 28, by Unregistered

User metadata

I've removed the 'fixPOPF' lines

I run the setup program (with VDMSound), I choose the sound card, I test the music and it works, but when I test the sound effects I hear clearly "I'm Joe King, p..." then nothing.

I save the changes and I run the game, but it hangs right after the title screen

if I choose No music and no sound effects in the setup program, the game works properly.

I've got a soundblaster 128 with the leatest driver available.

Reply 17 of 28, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you cannot set sound card parameters with the setup routine, use standard SB parameters in VDMSound (A220, I7, D1) and select a plain vanilla SB as sound card in program's setup. It could be worth changing IRQ to 5 too under VDMSound if IRQ doesn't work.

Reply 18 of 28, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Snover *blink* Someone tell me this isn't true.

Snapshot from the setup program below (snapshots feature wasn't working properly).

I'm suspecting that his problems are related to something other than VDMSound as sound effects and music work fine for me. One thing I will say is that, if you choose SoundBlaster for music, it will attempt to use OPL3 for music...which won't work. Go to your AdLib tab on your VDMSound shortcut (under the Advanced button) and change the chip setup from "Automatic" to "Dual-OPL2".

Also, while the setup works for sound with or without fixPoPf, the game requires it or it will lock up on the introductory screens.

I'm suspecting there's some software allowing direct-to-hard-ware issues. Suggest that you try this:

Download Ms. Pac-Em from this thread:
showthr...p?threadid=1542

Use either installer and run MSPACEM.EXE with and without VDMSound. Without should give you poor audio and (probably) no music when starting the game. With VDMSound, should give you good quality sound effects and music.

Does it work properly?

Attachments

• fotaq.gif
    Filename
    fotaq.gif
    File size
    40.43 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception