VOGONS

Reply 20 of 28, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Unregistered I've installed Ms. Pac-Em.
Without VDMSound it doesn't detect my sound card...

Oops. My goof. Forgot you were running Win2K. Best you can get without VDMSound would be PC Speaker output.

If I run it with VDMSound, both sound and music works fine

Ok, then your VDMSound is actually working properly. It's just dawned on me, the problem appears to be that this game (like the BUILD games and DOOM, etc...) has a PoPF problem and the work-around for that only exists in XP.

Hrrm...Sounds like you either need to use DosBox if you have the processor power (you didn't tell us what you have), or process the game's executable with Cli2Nop.

DosBox would be preferable as Cli2Nop will decrease the game's stability. BTW, look for this to be supported in ScummVM in the future.

Reply 21 of 28, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

BTW, look for this to be supported in ScummVM in the future.

Sorry to take this thread off-topic, but is this a statement of fact? I ask 'cause the SCUMMVM team are *very* miserable when asked about different engine support. Even more bizarre as they *do* support different engines nowadays!

Reply 23 of 28, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thx for the heads up - ya know I hardly ever read that forum... /me hides 😀

Perhaps if we all start to campaign Sierra to release the source for the AGI & SCI interpreters, in some future year we could be looking at having 80% of adventure games running under SCUMMVM 😀

Whether it's freeware or not, I care not just as long as it runs 😀

Reply 24 of 28, by Unregistered

User metadata
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

Hrrm...Sounds like you either need to use DosBox if you have the processor power (you didn't tell us what you have), or process the game's executable with Cli2Nop.

DosBox would be preferable as Cli2Nop will decrease the game's stability. BTW, look for this to be supported in ScummVM in the future.

I have an Athlon 1800+ with 384Mb of RAM
When I run the game with DOSBox it gives me the "cannot initialize sound driver" error

I also tried to process the executable with cli2nop, but the game freezes after the introductory screen, even using WDMSound

Reply 25 of 28, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

play without sound then 😉 In dosbox it doesn't work with sound.
Without sound it runs fine

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 26 of 28, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Reckless wrote:

Sorry to take this thread off-topic, but is this a statement of fact? I ask 'cause the SCUMMVM team are *very* miserable when asked about different engine support. Even more bizarre as they *do* support different engines nowadays!

Yes, it's a fact (work has already begun); yes, it's frustrating to feel like being rebuffed; but no, they're not acting miserable. ScummVM was originally meant for Scumm games and there's still a lot to do to make non-PC versions work like the DOS ones (C64, Amiga, FM Towns, PC Engine...).

The fact that ScummVM has been totally rewritten in a modular way in order to support different game engines is irrelevant; on the contrary, they need more than ever to get external help for each new engine that is going to be implemented, and they're just fed up of constantly being asked to support such and such game without getting really proposition of help for that to happen.

Basically, if you want Gabriel Knight to be supported in ScummVM, "stop ranting and start coding". It's not a personal attack, it's more of an advert 😉

Reply 27 of 28, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, I've never personally asked for any future game support but I've seen *lots* of very angry responses in their forum on the very same subject! I fully appreciate and understand their position! (I previously sent in a few $'s to add to their donation fund)

It would seem (to me as an outsider) that new platforms are only being supported when a company stumps of the source code (which is a probably a wise move IMO). To reverse engineer the many flavours of AGI and SCI would take a huge amount of very dedicated resource without direct access to the code base. Not impossible but pretty improbable!

A different method of operation could be for Ender to create a thread/poll for the users to indicate which title would be a possible future plan/direction for SCUMMVM. I daren't ask this directly as I'd probably end up in the firing line myself 🙄

Reply 28 of 28, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Qbix In dosbox it doesn't work with sound.
Without sound it runs fine

What are you talking about, QBix? It ran fine in my version. One thing you will have to remember, FotAQ will attempt to save it's configuration file as c:\queen.sav\queen.cfg. So, if you don't have C: mounted, the file won't be saved and audio won't work.

All audio works, including Adlib/Roland music in the last CVS release I checked. Nothing works in the 0.58 public release as it won't run at all because it's a "protected-mode" game.