VOGONS

First post, by Maccas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay on winxp sp1

-I have installed both windows version and dos version

-running windows version works fine except for hyper-speed text and no speech
-running dos version in vdmsound 2.1.0 I get "can't find sound driver please run install"
-running dos version normally yields same result

Now I think the text thing may have something to do with the whole cpu-cycle programming that sierra did back then but it played fine on my 1.4Ghz in win98 a couple of years ago when I was using speech.

I know about the police station puzzle but I have a save just after that point.

I remember a Quest for Glory 1 VGA thread that discussed this problem I had in vdmsound but I can't find the thread now.

Does anyone have any ideas?

edit - the post was on the same page in the same forum as this, I'll post if I have any luck.

edit - neither solution worked in that thread, GK1 has different sound drivers than QFG1VGA

Last edited by Maccas on 2003-10-16, 11:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 10, by Malko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm using WinXP, too. Until now I only got the game running up to the sierra logo, than it crashes back to win 🙁

What are the correct attributes for vdmsound? Do I have to use compatibility mode?

Malko

Life is an adventure!

Reply 4 of 10, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't think you'll get GK1 working under 2K/XP. I'm sure there have been posts here that say the game doesn't work (do a search). The Windows version works (with known issues) so that's your best option.

Reply 6 of 10, by Kyl3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Depending on you're computer speed.. Kaminari coughed right 😀.. I have a Piv 1.7 (not a fast one, 133 fsb dram e.d.) and I can barely run it. Find it on sourceforge and download it from the north american mirror (others seem broken a.t.m.)