VOGONS

Tyrian

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

please help.
ive been trying to get tyrian working on my pc. it just keeps on having runtime errors when i try to start tyrian.exe, setup.exe and so on, all with various errors(tyrian.exe is runtime error 200 at 0006:374C) it opens up a dos popup window. ive tried running it through dos but the same happens.
my pc is not very new at all. it has win 98 though. 60mhz processor 500 meg HD and 16mb ram so i know it'll run. it does the same on my big pc too. . if you need to see what happens download it from www.bhlegend.com. please help. send me an e-mail to Twinsen2uk@yahoo.com if possible instead of posting a reply (i'll check anyway.)
thanx.
RoBz

Reply 4 of 28, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's REALLY weird. A runtime error 200 on a 60MHz PC? I mean, jesus, a 486/66 is probably the recommended system requirement, and that's 6MHz more! Weird, weird, weird.
Not sure what to say, really. I heard that TPPATCH didn't work for someone and they found a TSR that did the trick. See if you can't find that thread.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 5 of 28, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I found a TSR and tried it - didn't work. Perhaps Tyrian is compressed somehow.

You sure he didn't mean to say 600 Mhz? Hm, not with a 500 MB HD. Damn.

Have you tried Tyrian 2000? It's essentially a direct rewrite of Tyrian.

Check out this great website: http://tyrian2000.cjb.net/

BTW, Colin, Epic recommends Mo'Slo. Since RoBz runs Win98 and DOS, it shouldn't be a problem for him to run MoSlo.
http://www.epicgames.com/faq/tyrtech.htm#RTE200

Get the latest version of MoSlo here: http://www.hpaa.com/moslo/

...i don't know why i was thinking about speedset...

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 8 of 28, by Unregistered

User metadata

hi again
thanx for all the replies, i still havent had n e luck.i could only try a slowdown (Turbo) on a computer running 750mhz (amd athalon) because my floppy disk drive in mine is busted. even when i slowed it down to 1% it didnt work, and my pc is a pentium, sorry!!!

does anybody know if i can get a full version of tyrian2000
from anywhere cos ive looked but with no success, and thanx for the hyperlink to that cool tyrian webpage. i know tyrian 2000 works fine on our more powerfull machine., and also something that may be of interest is ive got another download of it that runs straight off a zip file, but the same happens. it must be the install. other games of a similar age such as traffic dept 2192 work fine. i'll have to burn a disc with turbo and stuff on it (ridiculous i know) im trying moslo as i write this message. ive used it before, but found it a little less user friendly than other progs.
please help!!!
Thankyou all very much for your interest
RoBz
ps. whats a speedset???

Last edited by Unregistered on 2002-09-07, 10:19. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 28, by Unregistered

User metadata

thanx again all.
im trying to download tyrian 2000 now.
somethings changed. now runtime error 200 has gone, only to be replaced with runtime error 005 (this is on the crap pc)
any help!?!!
RoBz
ps. how do i get tyrian2k running, there are 3 files???

Last edited by Unregistered on 2002-09-08, 08:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 12 of 28, by Unregistered

User metadata

how do you mean 3 files?
right after u downloaded it or after you extracted it?

download the 3 files, run the .exe and extract.Overwrite files when asked. Then go to the folder you extracted it to and run setup and then tyrian2k NOT tyrian2.

Don't know what this runtime error 200 means... Didn't happen here.
ace joh

Last edited by Unregistered on 2002-09-08, 18:24. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 13 of 28, by Unregistered

User metadata

hi
i got tyrian 2000 working eventually (thankyou very very very much for the link.) first time i ran it on my crap pc, i got a runtime error 005, but when i actually installed it, it ran fine.
im still trying to get tyrian1 working. is tyrian2k just a rewrite to make it run in windows easier???

thanx, and any help on runtime error 200 or 005 will be much apreciated.
RoBz

Reply 14 of 28, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Never heard of Runtime Error 005. Your computer sounds like it's about dead, though. Seriously consider upgrading, even to a P2 266MHz. That said, I don't know much about Tyrian itself, so I can't tell you if Tyrian 2000 is a remake or a separate title. Perhaps you should check MobyGames about it.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 16 of 28, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Unregistered wrote:
hi i got tyrian 2000 working eventually (thankyou very very very much for the link.) first time i ran it on my crap pc, i got a […]
Show full quote

hi
i got tyrian 2000 working eventually (thankyou very very very much for the link.) first time i ran it on my crap pc, i got a runtime error 005, but when i actually installed it, it ran fine.
im still trying to get tyrian1 working. is tyrian2k just a rewrite to make it run in windows easier???

thanx, and any help on runtime error 200 or 005 will be much apreciated.
RoBz

With Runtime Error 005: Try setting all files and folders in the Tyrian 2000 directory to NOT have the Read-Only file attribute. See if that stops the Runtime Error.

There's a thread here about it, but I can't read Polish, and all the machine translators from Polish to English are crap.
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie= … 40news.tpi.pl#s

I could pay to have it translated, but it would cost $45 USD. 🙁

Generally, Runtime Error 005 means "file access denied." In other words, a file is not where it is supposed to be, or it is currently being accessed by another application, or it otherwise has a read-only attribute.

As for your Runtime Error 200 with the original Tyrian, well, I'm working on it.

Reply 17 of 28, by Unregistered

User metadata

Tyrian is made to run on a faster PC than even 66MHz I believe. Certainly I know that it is recommended that one run it on a Pentium (I remember enjoying the transparent clouds and all with my Pentium 90.) As for the speed bug, that appears to occur only when your PC has an effective speed above a certain amount, I guess it was something like 399 MIPS. I had a P2 233 that would cause the bug to occur, but when I underclocked it to 166 nothing would crash due to that bug anymore. However, many things believed it to be a 197MHz cpu (I guess based on 486 abilities) so one has to look out for the fact that a more powerful CPU, even when underclocked, might still be too fast, so might have to be underclocked more than one would think.

I never have tried Tyrian 2K as I couldn't get it when I first got this PC that was so far above the limit and have since just lost interest.

Reply 18 of 28, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks for the info.

Here's a rough translation of that link I posted (courtesy of "dox"):

Dintahlion downlaoded tyrian2k from the web, played it once from hd(without problems) , and burned on cd (all files separate , without zipping). Next time tried to run it from cd .. game crashed in the first level. Copied all files from cd to hd .. and got the same error . It's a long story about stupid ideas (executing fileooo1.exe instead tyrian.exe - runtime error 005) ... The advise from Hawk is to patch the exe files , for removing Pascal common Runtime error x ( that one about divide by 0 , not runtime error 005 (it's file system error)). But Dainthalion found the solution - changed attributes of all files to archiv ( and probably removed read-only attribute)...

So to get rid of runtime error 005, change the file attributes of all files in the Tyrian folder to Archive, and remove Read-Only.

As for Runtime error 200...
I'm trying to get in touch with this guy:
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=37d029f0 … ews.pacbell.net
So far he hasn't answered my emails, but I know his address still works. (And I "Googled" him for his offline contact info.)

Still, even if he never responds, it gives us a clear roadmap to make Runtime error 200 disappear from Tyrian 2.1:
1. Run TPPATCH on setup.exe and shipedit.exe in the Tyrian directory.
(showthread.php?s=&threadid=93)
2. Use the methods described in the TPPATCH documentation to hand-edit the FILE0001.EXE in the Tyrian directory. (Someone will have to do this other than me. Vlad, Colin?)
- or -
2. Find the file he distributed named "tyr21fix.zip"
(http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=37d22b57 … ews.pacbell.net)

Note to Moderators/Admins - if we're willing to do this for other VOGONS readers, I -do- highly recommend IPS as a good way to "patch" binaries. Or one of us who's smart like that could work on a better TPPATCH. 😀

Stiletto

Reply 19 of 28, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

MY Solution: Find a better TPPatch.

ftp://ftp.heise.de/pub/ct/ctsi/ctbppat.zip

There has been a tentative suggestion that >450MHz CPU's could give problems with *some* of the fixes available. This seems to be, at the time of writing, affecting the programs that have used c't magazine fix and related ones which patched the code to set the divisor to 126 instead of 55. C't has now released a new patch that will work above 450MHz.

See this site for more information on this patch versus other patches:
http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/pas-r200.htm

From the readme for ctbppat.zip

ctbppat V1.2 c't (unpublished) Andreas Stiller, April 2000 […]
Show full quote

ctbppat V1.2 c't (unpublished) Andreas Stiller, April 2000

A patchprogramm (DOS) for Borland Pascal (BP 7)-EXE files, which produce run time error 200 on faster systems (starting from PII/III and Athlon 266 MHz, K6-2 525 MHz) because of incorrect initialization of a counter for the Delay function

ctbppat is actually a universal tool for scanning, monitoring and patching EXE files. It supports the usual EXE formats MZ (DOS), NE (OS/2, DPMI, Win 3.x) and PE (32 bit format) and analyzes the files, who probably produced the EXE whether Borland Pascal, Turbo Pascal or who else. Quite nicely, if one scans in such a way with bppatch *.* / s [/p] the directories, to list all the file formats and origins of the EXE files (only 8.3-Namen, no long directories).

With / NE or / MZ or / PE one can restrict the files with the appropriate formats to be listed. With pure DOS and Smartdrive this job runs significantly faster.

If ctbppat finds an EXE file (real and DPMI) of Borland Pascal 7,0 it
examines whether it uses an original or changed CRT-Unit, whether this Unit is already patched and whether the Delay function is called at all (then the incorrect initialization is unnecessary).
Depending upon the result it offers a patch. If the Delay function is used, then ctbppat can delay the code with a small delay routine that the Delay function should function correctly up to approximately 4 GHz Pentium III.
For this the BREAK routine in the CRT-Unit is somewhat shortened and the delay code patched into the free space.

In the other case (no DELAY used) the divisor is simply incremented to 65535. Then DELAY does not operate any longer, but the unit is "waterproof" to 300 GHz Pentium III (however not yet tested!).

If the CRT-Unit is changed, but contains the same incorrect
initialization, then ctbpat can at least modify the faulty divisor (default 255 => 1,3 GHz PIII).

ctbppat analyses only original CRT-Units, routines with similar incorrect code in Tool Boxes remains undiscovered. But with
ctbppat filename /brute
one can force that it searches without further analysis for
incorrect initialization Code and offers to patch a new divisor (default 255, or /brute=xxxx with Divisor xxxx). For patching a new file (ex$) is created and the original EXE file is overwritten if desired.

***** attention, please mak a Backup of the files to patch !!!!!

Although the patch software proceeds quite carefully, a warranty for perfect functioning cannot be given. So programs can use overlay operations (Ovr Files), with which patched programs possibly may not work correctly.

All outputs are done in "international language", in order to make it somewhat simpler for our foreign colleagues (at least I hope so ..) .

As a goodie ctbppat contains for insider a small file monitor, which can dump or disassemble the file content or display the entries and segment lists of the EXE headers (MZ, PE, NE). The disassembler displays file addresses and assigned logical addresses. It supports MMX and 3Dnow!, but not yet ISSE or 3Dnow!+

Call: ctbppat filename / mon

Hint for programmers:
The file ftp://ftp.heise.de/pub/ct/ctsi/bppatch.zip contains a changed version of the unit CRT, which will be good for Pentium up to 300 GHz.

Much fun with the exploration of the files,
Andreas Stiller
as@ct.heise.de

ctbppat ran on Tyrian 2.01 shareware (I used ctbppat *.* and didn't make backups! Hah!). It found setup.exe and could also patch file0001.exe. It also would have worked on shipedit.exe. So, problem solved.

Note for Moderators/Admins - ctbppat is MUCH better than tppatch. Could someone do a nice write-up for Deep Thought? (like converting Andreas' not-quite-perfect English into better English?) Not me...

Stiletto