VOGONS

First post, by Guest

User metadata

Hello all,

I'm currently trying to get Tomb Raider (the original) to run on my laptop. It's a Packard Bell iGo 2000 series with the following spec:

Athlon XP 1800+
256MB PC133 RAM
DVD/CD-RW Drive as Q:
Avance AC97 Audio
Savage S3 Graphics

Running: Windows XP Home 2002 Version

NOTE: I am using the Sold Out version of Tomb Raider.

OK, so, a while back I installed TR for the first time. It ran, but there was no sound. Did a search, and quickly found the page over at TR Forums with the patches for the various operating systems, and a link to VDMSound.

Downloaded one of the (now) old versions and installed it. Ran TR. No music, but there were gunshots, etc. That'll do me, I thought. I then had a shitload of work for about a month, and TR was forgotten. Until yesterday.

I've now played up to a point in the game where there is a cutscene. This cutscene has no sound. This is very annoying. I came back and downloaded the new VDMS, having been told that something called SAPUCDEX could solve my problem.

So, here's what I've done so far:

I right clicked the INSTALL.EXE file on the CD, and selected "Run with VDMS." It autodetected the sound settings and installed just fine, but crashed on exit.

I went into the TR directory on the HDD, and right-clicked the TOMB.EXE file, selecting "Run with VDMS" as I had before, It crashed right after the Eidos logo, I think. When I exited, I got hold of the VDMS shortcut, having read another thread on here, and did this:

Enabled low-level (MSCDEX) CD-ROM support.
Disabled joystick emulation.
Disabled CLI/POPF workaround.
Specified "SAPUCDEX" in the Dos Environment tab under "additional options."

Then I ran it. No success. The game itself works, but there's no music or cutscene dialogue. Annoying thing is that on both the menus and in-game, the CD indicator LED is going nuts, showing that the drive is being accessed, but nothing is coming out. And I cannot play the CD audio tracks in WMP. They sound blank.

So where am I going wrong? Any help that can be given on this would be much appreciated. I am desperate to get this working properly.

Tanthalas

Reply 2 of 6, by Guest

User metadata
robertmo wrote:

sold out version has no audio tracks - so no music, no sound in cutscenes

Really, are you sure? When I put the CD in and tried to play it through WMP, it definitely displayed 10 tracks, although I couldn't hear them.

If that's true...damn, that's annoying. I bought the first 4 TR games as a bundle, and they're all Sold Out versions. Will I get similar problems with the others?

Reply 3 of 6, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you see those audio tracks that's a different story 😉
Try getting any other audio cd to work (hear) first.
Check whether playing digital sound from the cd is turned on in your cd drive otions.

Reply 4 of 6, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous wrote:

it definitely displayed 10 tracks, although I couldn't hear them.

The Sold Out edition has no audio track. What you see is probably the original index (so that TR1 can't complain about missing tracks) but the tracks themselves are blank. Only TR1 is concerned, TR2 (which also uses audio CD) is complete though.

Why did they wipe out the music in TR1 is a mystery (and a dumb decision).

Reply 5 of 6, by Guest

User metadata
Kaminari wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

it definitely displayed 10 tracks, although I couldn't hear them.

The Sold Out edition has no audio track. What you see is probably the original index (so that TR1 can't complain about missing tracks) but the tracks themselves are blank. Only TR1 is concerned, TR2 (which also uses audio CD) is complete though.

Why did they wipe out the music in TR1 is a mystery (and a dumb decision).

Crap! Oh, well. Thanks for your help. Doing the last of my Christmas shopping tomorrow, so I'll keep an eye out for a copy of TR Gold.

Reply 6 of 6, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My sold out version has no index (i see no audio tracks in WMP, and cd is not used whlie playing cutscenes. Tomb raider doesn't require any index cause it works without problems even when I make image.iso (which doesn't have audio tracks)