WCPrivateer in WinXP

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 39, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

Anything like that possible for 2000/XP?

Supporting other file-systems vie third-party add-ons? Yes, probably.

Installing it as a drag-and-drop file addition/replacement? No, I don't think so.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 21 of 39, by Unregistered Ulli K

User metadata

I got a cheap P200 MHz last week and Privateer works fine under DOS. There was a little problem to have at least 571K free memory but after 3 hours i got a perfekt autoexec and config 61oK free 😮))).
Another question ...how to install the Speechpack for Privateer??
I have the Speechpack in a ZIP-File including a Speech.exe and a Speech.pak. Unzip into Privateer folder and run speech.exe under DOS or in a new Folder? Can you help me?
Greetings Ulli

Reply 22 of 39, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Stiletto wrote:

The last I checked, it did. But true, I'm not sure how far I'd trust it.

About as far as you can throw it. 😉 It's a fine program but ALWAYS have a backup and build your sytem right the first time if possible.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 23 of 39, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Unregistered Ulli K wrote:

Another question ...how to install the Speechpack for Privateer??
I have the Speechpack in a ZIP-File including a Speech.exe and a Speech.pak. Unzip into Privateer folder and run speech.exe under DOS or in a new Folder? Can you help me?
Greetings Ulli

I don't know, I don't own this game. Probably into Privateer folder.

Had you purchased this, it would have come with an installation guide. *hint hint*

Stiletto

Reply 24 of 39, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DosFreak wrote:

About as far as you can throw it. 😉 It's a fine program but ALWAYS have a backup and build your sytem right the first time if possible.

Heh. Yeah. A friend of mine once cautioned me about using it, the way it monkeys with the MBR made him nervous. I wish I knew what he was on about, lots of utilities do that. Hmm...

Stiletto

Reply 25 of 39, by Unregistered Guest (Joey)

User metadata

Hey, I just wanted to make a suggestion based on my experiences with Privateer 1 besides the kickass difficult dogfights.

Number one, privateer is good in the fact that it does not have speed timing issues. It works just fine on my olden K6 266mhz machine and it works at the same speed as my really old 486/66. The only thing I've seen that speeds up the game is when you use a joystick. It boosts the speed about 15% or so (it's quite noticable but makes the action more intense)

Ulli's box seems like a little custom rig so it probably has an EMU10K based sound card (SB Live!, Audigy). Except for Creative sound cards, I've had crappy luck with PCI sound cards.
Also, trusty dusty ISA sound cards have lots of issues with getting IRQ's on new motherboards (P-MMX's and up), but you might get lucky.

If you did the decent thing and got the CD version instead of crappy speechless floppies, it might be handy to copy the speech files to the hard disk to save on memory gobbled up by mscdex (it's faster too). The speech files (priv.tre and rf.tre) take up 154 mb's. Simply copy the files to the privater directory and edit the priv.cfg and rf.cfg so:

=D:priv.tre

becomes

=C:\privater\priv.tre

(or whatever your path might be)

Make sure you edit the rf.cfg using rf.tre instead.

Using CuteMouse cand save memory if you need you mouse and there are mscdex alternatives out there to save even more memory.

Good Luck!

Reply 26 of 39, by Unregistered Ulli K

User metadata

Yes i copied the Speech pack into the Privateer Folder and installed it under DOS and it works fine, but you say 154mb no its only, the speech.pak 5,48 mb + speech.exe some KBs. It was in a zip.file downloaded from http://www.theunderdogs.org/ !!!
The Soundcard in the old Junker P200 is a Terratech Base1 ISA Slot and it works, sometimes strange noises but who cares.
The complete Privateer is on my HD and runs from HD i didnt install it from Disks it was a complete ZIP File from the underdogs.org.

Greetings Ulli

Reply 28 of 39, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Unregistered Ulli K wrote:

Yes i copied the Speech pack into the Privateer Folder and installed it under DOS and it works fine, but you say 154mb no its only, the speech.pak 5,48 mb + speech.exe some KBs. It was in a zip.file downloaded from http://www.theunderdogs.org/ !!!

Dude. That's a PACKAGED FILE. You have to run the exe to UNPACK it. No wonder your sound isn't working!!!

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 29 of 39, by Ulli K

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm, good but how to UNPACK this speech.pak File. I runned the speech.exe in DOS, next was a screen " Install Speech Pack with this Options?" YES----> succesfull installed......
How can i unpack this speech.pak File in a other way to get a 154 mb speech file??
May be iam total wrong.
Greetings Ulli-->be patient with me:D 😁

Reply 30 of 39, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, what was/were the file(s) that were extracted? (Keep an explorer window open in the game's directory if you're uncertain. Faster and simpler than DIFFing between two dir listings.)

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 31 of 39, by Unregistered

User metadata

Well, there has been a minor success on the Privateer front.
Apparently, some programming nut has made a JEMM emulator that allows Privateer (Armada and Strike Commander in testing) to run under the Win9x series.

http://www.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/u/rridge/myjemm.html

Besides a sound quirk (gotta press something after every 20 lines of speech or so to continue) it works fine on my EMU10K (Hardware Synth music -- yeah!) and my digital joystick (windows fowards game controllers to DOS programs -- even USB n' stuff).

It goes without saying that you won't need VDMSound under Win9x.

Thanks to the Wing Commander CIC (http://www.wcnews.com)for breaking the story.

Reply 32 of 39, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, I believe Nicht ?? informed of us about this a couple of weeks ago. I believe he may have emailed asking about NT support but I believe that was shot down. Ummm...search the forum the answer should lie there.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 34 of 39, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Unregistered Besides a sound quirk (gotta press something after every 20 lines of speech or so to continue) it works fine on my EMU10K

Lucky you. Attempting to use digital audio on mine basically generated horrid noise and game "pauses" most of the time.

It goes without saying that you won't need VDMSound under Win9x.

That depends entirely on how well your soundcard supports DOS titles within Win9x.

Originally posted by DosFreak Yeah, I believe Nicht ?? informed of us about this a couple of weeks ago.

Yes, and he was ignored. *glares*

I believe he may have emailed asking about NT support but I believe that was shot down. Ummm...search the forum the answer should lie there.

I didn't post it on the public forums as I didn't want to get people's hopes up prematurely.

Basically, these were my results:

Pacific Strike JEMM OVL 4/13/94 19K
Wasn't mentioned in his game list, but I renamed the game's executable to Armada.exe as MyJEMM had parameters for the floppy version of Wing Commander:Armada. Game started and ran the intro fine with MIDI. No Digital audio. Worked fine up until I chose an item from the menu, which caused a crash. Still, not bad considering it wasn't listed and the JEMM version wasn't identical.

Privateer JEMM OVL 2/2/95 18K
Like "Pacific Strike", works fine with MIDI, but no digital audio. Trying to use digital audio results in distinct "pauses" in the game and reduced stability (lockups). Unlike "Pacific Strike", all the options I tried worked fine.

Strike Commander CD JEMM OVL 2/4/95 18K
Couldn't get it to start at all...hrmmm

Wing Commander: Armada CD JEMM OVL 5/5/94 19K
Just like Privateer.

Wings of Glory ?? Can't get accurate datestamp, 19K same as Armada?
Error: EMS driver is not VCPI compliant.
Tried to cheat and use Privateer executable name. Must be too different.

Of course, any attempt to run MyJEMM in XP just caused it to die.

From my email exchange with him:

NTVDM doesn't have the necessary extensions to support remapping memory in the way necessary to emulate JEMM. JEMM is a basically an EMS memory manager and functions like EMM386.EXE, except that it has a number of evil extensions that allow, amongst other things, mapping of EMS pages anywhere in the 0A0000h-100000h linear address range.

I suggested to someone else that the best way to get Privateer running under NT, would be make a custom version of DOSBox...

He also mentioned that he was working on an update, and that (eventually) he might release his source code. He knows of someone attempting to modify DosBox to support Privateer, but doesn't want give any info beyond that...

Reply 35 of 39, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Unregistered So how do you get Virtual PC to load the DOS sound card drivers?

The SB16 emulated within VPC doesn't support DOS drivers. You use the SET command (IE: SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 T6) and that's it. If the game still can't detect it, you're out of luck.

BTW, you can expect Privateer performance in VPC to be poor.

Reply 37 of 39, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have recently converted all my FAT32 partitions into NTFS (Using built-in convert program) and they all have a cluster size of 512b. Running WinXP. Type CONVERT /? to see a list of available options. I think you can even force cluster size. BTW: This operation just took 1-3min under every partition. Quite fast and kept all my data intact.

Reply 38 of 39, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
Agent wrote:

Well, now that the protected mode DOSBox is out, has anyone managed to get Privateer up and running on it? I get the message "Protected mode driver is not responding to EMS function calls." I've got EMS on and at 8MB. Is that Privateer's VCPI usage screwing things up?

Yeps VCPI isn't supported .neither are the other things privateer wants.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 39 of 39, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Off topic: Cluster size. The general advice is to balance cluster-size and file-size. Meaning, if you have a lot of stuff going on and big files on a hd it is no use to have a small cluster-size. Performance of your drive might get a hit if you have too small cluster sizes. he whole speech on this is in German, unfortunately.