VOGONS

Duke Nukem 3D on Win2K

Topic actions

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

I try to run Duke Nukem 3D (1.13) on Windows 2000.
After installing the sounds emulator, it work fine.

Duke starts, and in the opening screen, the two big BOOMS are hearable 😀

Now, I choose "New Game" .. and a level and stuff, and the game starts....

Now I see several numbers in the screen, then it goes blank, and it's all over 🙁

I installed 2.04, the 2.04 update, and the GUI.
Settings are correct (sounds works fine in the opening).

If I choose "NO SOUND" in Duke Nukem 3D, the games runs fine, but I miss the nice "HEHEHE WASTED !, COME GET SOME !" etc sound effects.

Anyone ?

Thanks,

Maikel van der Hulst
hulst628@hotmail.com

Reply 1 of 23, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There is no way to get Duke 3D with SFX in 2000. Yes there is the hack CLI2NOP but it doesn't work well with Duke 3D. Your only option is Connectix Virtual PC or "upgrade" to XP...but even wtih XP you'll get lousy sound effects and no VESA.

So really your only options are Connectix Virtual PC or real DOS.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 23, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So really your only options are Connectix Virtual PC or real DOS.

DosFreak basically covered this, but I will add that setting up an Dual-Boot with Windows 2000 and a DOS-based OS (DOS, Win9x,etc...) is your best answer for now.

Reply 4 of 23, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

Sounds like a problem with DOS/4GW more than anything else.

No, it's just like he said. No audio at 320x200, no problem. Try to use anything like SoundBlaster, and it's "Crash City".

Reply 5 of 23, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

But those numbers he describes are reminiscent of DOS/4GW overflow errors I've received in the past (not just on my 2K system), which is why I suggested it.
If my memory serves me, the visual quality in Duke Nukem 3D didn't improve with the increase of resolution (at least not noticably), so 320x240 should be fine.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 6 of 23, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

...the visual quality in Duke Nukem 3D didn't improve with the increase of resolution (at least not noticably), so 320x240 should be fine.

Ack. This isn't a problem so long as you're at the "optimum" distance and angle from the object/image.

Get any closer and they all get pixelated. Nothing we can do about that (unless someone comes up with a whole new engine that performs some on-the-fly smoothing on the images).

However, put any real distance between yourself and the image/object and it turns into an amorphous blob. This is mostly noticeable in any big, open areas.

If you can try DOOM (or some other 2.5 D game with high-res options) and find a big, open area with lots of things at varying distances from you. Actually, Heretic would be a better example as it also allows up/down looking and has lots of wide open areas on it's maps.

When you're playing, it makes it a lot easier to identify far-away things.

I need to make some snapshots for examples, but right now I'm trying to rebuild my computer (again) after a nasty system crash.

Reply 7 of 23, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

...unless someone comes up with a whole new engine that performs some on-the-fly smoothing on the images...

It's called "anisotropic filtering". 😉

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 9 of 23, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

Erm...Yeah *rolls eyes*

Now all you need is to find the "Super-Secret" options menu in "Duke Nukem" to turn it on. 😜

Hey, man, you said "a whole new engine".

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 10 of 23, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

Hey, man, you said "a whole new engine".

Ok, misunderstood. Anisotropic filtering is really more for jaggies everywhere, I was thinking more like something that would perform a type of averaging, but only for images that have been zoomed in upon (Woof. That am bad English).

Something like the sprite "smoothing" in JDOOM, only a little less blurry.

Reply 11 of 23, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In that case... trilinear filtering! 😉

Seriously, though. You're not going to have very good looking textures. I mean, even in a game like Quake 3, if you go up really close to a wall you see the same thing (though less, due to texture filtering like I've said and larger tiles (do they use 512x512 now?))

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 12 of 23, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

...the visual quality in Duke Nukem 3D didn't improve with the increase of resolution (at least not noticably), so 320x240 should be fine.

Off-the-original-subject, but one game that desperately needs higher resolutions is "Rise of the Triad".

I can live with Wolfenstein3D room limitations and no 3D re-builds, but could somebody please come up with a way to run this at 640x400 or higher. Fun to play, but almost painful to look at... (nothing quite like using a "Super-Bark" while in DOG MODE).

Reply 13 of 23, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

...Quake 3, if you go up really close to a wall you see the same thing (though less, due to texture filtering like I've said and larger tiles (do they use 512x512 now?))

Think so, but like you said it's a lot less obvious on more modern games.

BTW, Jaako added 512x512 texture support for JDOOM/Heretic/Hexen.

Reply 14 of 23, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yep, ROT was great for LAN gaming....sigh. Too bad the Wolf engine was never designed for such a thing. 🙁

The author of WolfGL could probably add support for ROT....

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 16 of 23, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

Too hard to find servers. Ho, hum...

Servers? The single-player game alone makes it worth preserving. How many other games can you make all visible enemies explode with a really big howl?

Reply 17 of 23, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

Ok, misunderstood. Anisotropic filtering is really more for jaggies everywhere, I was thinking more like something that would perform a type of averaging, but only for images that have been zoomed in upon (Woof. That am bad English).

Something like the sprite "smoothing" in JDOOM, only a little less blurry.

Like EAGLE/Super Eagle/etc as used in SNES emulators et. al.?

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 18 of 23, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stiletto wrote:

Like EAGLE/Super Eagle/etc as used in SNES emulators et. al.?

Possibly. The examples of those that I saw were all for 2D console games where I think using that kind of "averaging" makes the graphics look worse. Thinking twice on this. It might be pretty difficult to only process certain portions of the image. May not be worth the bother.

Reply 19 of 23, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I love the Super Eagle engine. It's great. It has edge detection, and then smoothes it. Look at any game's title screen on the SNES, for example. Some modes it doesn't work on (Mode 7) but for the most part it rules.

Yes, it’s my fault.