VOGONS

First post, by Guest

User metadata

Recently I've been fiddling around with some old Lucasarts titles (they all use imuse). I've made some curious observations. I doubt this is a universal problem, but I figured I would throw this out here anyways:

1.) General MIDI only seems to function for me when VESA support is enabled, even if the program in question doesn't use VESA (ie. the imuse config program, imuse.exe, or Dark Forces). Without basic VESA support, attempting to use General MIDI makes the application hang indefinitely. (This happens in TIE Fighter and Dark Forces, as well as various incarnations of imuse.exe)

2.) The timing is off when I initially get General MIDI working. Everything plays at about half the speed, including digital sound effects. If I rapidly move my cursor on and off the DOS window, or hit keys rapidly, it accelerates the sound to (almost) a normal rate. Fubar message loop?

3.) The sound returns to a normal rate after reducing the app to a window, then restoring it to fullscreen. This only works for text mode programs, however. Games (such as Dark Forces or TIE Fighter), of course, cannot be viewed as a window, so this 'solution' doesn't work.

Here's my system, although I doubt it would provide any useful information:
Asus A7V266-E; Athlon XP 2000+ (1.6 GHz); 1.5 GB PC-2100 RAM; GeForce4 Ti4600; Audigy 2 Platinum; Windows XP Pro.

I've observed the above while using both 2.0.4 and the new public beta.

Any ideas? 😀

Reply 1 of 11, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

#1: game probably locks up way befoe it tries to play music just because it is not in full-screen mode.

#2: idle sensitivity in the default .pif (if not using "Run with VDMS") - timer goes low when nothing happens in the window with those settings.

#3: combination of #2 above and definitely Windows' timer emulation - speeds up for a while if window is kept frozen for a few seconds/minutes; speedset will help with this issue as long as the game isn't prtected mode.

Reply 2 of 11, by Guest

User metadata

1: imuse.exe is text mode, it can run in a window and sound still works (although the timing is slow)

2.) It's using run with VDMS.

3.) I don't think this explains why it only works with VESA activated, or why it works normally if I switch between windowed and fullscreen. Speedset does not help, I've tried. 😀

Reply 3 of 11, by Guest

User metadata

I should say, I use VDMS Launchpad feature. I also can't get General MIDI to work with a DOS box + dosdrv, even if I replace all of my config files with the launchpad temp files.

In addition: With VESA support activated, *all* sound is slow until I do the fullscreen->window->fullscreen dance. Then it works normally. But, again, without VESA support active, General MIDI use causes the app to hang (which makes no sense to me).

Reply 4 of 11, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

All "vesa suport"means in LaunchPad is that the app is started in full-screen mode. If you don't use that and manually switch to full-screen (Alt+Enter) as the game is starting you may hear MIDI *and* not have the slowness problem (bug in XP if you're using XP).

Cheers,
V.

Reply 5 of 11, by Guest

User metadata

I am using XP... I said I was in my original post.

While I was searching for a resolution to this issue I noticed that several others have experienced this problem too, but I don't think you understood the issue as they presented it. All you've managed to do is tell me information that I already provided in my original post.

Reply 6 of 11, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

1. run imuse in windows without vdmsound
2. dark forces works perfectly for me with vdmsound, general midi without using svga basic support (in winxp) (while dark forces is loading hit alt+enter to switch it to full screen - it will gain speed)

Edit: Imuse works perfectly with vdmsound too

Reply 7 of 11, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

All you've managed to do is tell me information that I already provided in my original post.

Suit yourself. I urge you, however, to read my previous post again, and try what was suggested there. I think I understand the problem more than you think I do.

Perhaps I was not clear, so let me rephrase: there is a bug in XP; when "full screen" is specified in a .pif (i.e. when so-called "VESA support" is enabled in LaunchPad) timer problems arise. Therefore do *not* use that checkbox (this is where I might have been too vague) and switch manually to fulls-screen using Alt+Enter (that does not trigger the bug.)

V.

Reply 8 of 11, by MajorGrubert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Vlad, I believe it's worth mentioning that the "Enable basic VESA support" option does nothing more than switching the VDM into full screen mode. It does not provide any extra VESA functions that would not be available otherwise. You loose nothing by switching int full screen with Alt-Enter manually.

Regards,

Major Grubert

Athlon 64 3200+/Asus K8V-X/1GB DDR400/GeForce FX 5700/SB Live! 5.1

Reply 10 of 11, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try this:
make a test.bat file:
pause
dark.exe

run test.bat file with vdmsound with "basic svga support" enabled
hit alt+enter to shring it to window and again to make it back fullscreen
hit space

Reply 11 of 11, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I found out that in the .pif file there is a slider responsible for CPU usage by the program. Program uses less CPU if you move it to the right. Start in fullscreen option affect this slider by moving it to the right (actually it moves the scale to the left and the slider stays in the same position). That is why game is slower if you check "start fullscreen". But you can speed the game up by moving slider to the left.