VOGONS

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

I seem to be having quite a bit of trouble getting tyrian 2000 to run properly. I got it to recognize an SB16 for the SFX, and either FM Sound or the first MIDI port listed, but the music hangs often, and as soon as I enter a level, the game crashes. I have not yet tried any manual config, but I will soon. If anyone else has this problem or has a solution to the problem, please e-mail me (timsapio@commspeed.net) as I will probably forget to check this forum again until about a month from now...

I got a couple of replies to this, but they were sorta confusing. anyone the wants to reply can still view them on the old forum

Reply 1 of 7, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know that someone actually went so far as to contact the company who developed Tyrian2k, and got a very discouraging answer (i.e. yes, there is a problem with the game under NT/2k/XP, but they don't intend to provide a workaround [yet], etc. [IIRC]). I e-mailed the person who cotacted the Tyrian guys, and hopefully he'll answer here as well. 😀

Reply 3 of 7, by Dominus

User metadata

ok, to get Tyrian2k running you need to do a cli2nop on file file0001.exe. The reason it crashed is the voice that starts as soon as you enter a level. but after you "cli2nop"ed it it works fine.
BUT NEVER install the SB-Live! update. After installing it it will never run on a NT based OS again.

It was me who contacted the company who did Tyrian 2k and they answered nicely (to troubleshoot my problem) and after I found at least that the main problem was installing the SBLive! patch they answered:
"I'm glad to hear that you were able to discover the source of your Tyrian2K problem. The reason that the SB Live patch does not run in Windows 2000 is because Tyrian 2K is not compatible in Windows 2000, only Windows 95/98. If there is a stronger need in the future, we might develope a patch for Tyrian 2K that is
compatible with Windows 2000, but right now, there are no plans to do so. Thank you for working with me to resolve this issue, and enjoy!"

So don't hold your breath.

Reply 5 of 7, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by NoGood What's cli2nop?

In the future, try using the "Quick Search" at the top of the page. You would find Cli2Nop is a pretty common discussion item.

The most detailed info is here:
showthread.php?threadid=31

Reply 6 of 7, by SA Tequila

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, Tyrian works on my system (win XP) but I can't get sound effects to work, MIDI works just fine tho. I tried installing the patch (before I read that I wasn't supposed to) and setup was able to correctly detect my SBLive card within setup but I couldn't get the program to run afterwards. Anyone find a way to get this game working properly?

Reply 7 of 7, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by SA Tequila Ok, Tyrian works on my system (win XP) but I can't get sound effects to work, MIDI works just fine tho.

Place TYRIAN into the quick search box near the top of the page and see this one has a history...a bad one. Basically this thread sums it up:
showthread.php?threadid=783&highlight=Tyrian

Even if you get it running in XP with digital sound, performance will be terrible. Other than setting up a dual-boot with Win9x or just living with poor performance, there's not a lot you can do...

This isn't even considering the use of a joystick.