VOGONS

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

After installing VDMSound, when I tried playing music in WinAmp it becomes distorted and not listenable to... I tried fiddling with the output choices/buffering but that was no help.

I'm running Windows XP Pro. My sound card is a Yamaha ForteMedia powered Phantom 886 Apac DD5.1. If there is any other hardware specs relevant, please ask.

I tried uninstalling VDMSound but that didn't help either... I also reinstalled my sound drivers and changing the output codec selections...

The only workaround I have found is if I leave Windows Media Player running in the background, sound works fine - but as soon as I close WMP, the next song I play is distorted...

I'm willing to help however I can to provide more information and any ideas on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated 😀

Thanks,

- DannoNZ
- ICQ# 20774542

Reply 1 of 4, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is *no* way on earth that VDMSound could cause that. What probably happened is that WinAmp's settings may have been screwed up, try to play with the buffer size and try swicthing back and forth between DirectSound and WaveOut.

Reply 3 of 4, by NoGood

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

just a guess ...

if winamp is set to 'available sound device' (or maybe it's called different, i have a dutch version of windows), it will use the primary device.
If in WMP a certain device is selected, it may kick winamp away from the primary sound device. Thus winamp has to use another sound device, that DOES play without problems ...
So I think you might want to try every device, in every output mode ...

I know it's a long shot, but that seems logical to me!

Reply 4 of 4, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

NoGood, your theory seems the most logical to me.
You may want to use waveOut instead of DirectSound, or vice-versa depending on what you've got selected. Since it's non-time-critical audio, you shouldn't have any problems ramping up the prebuffer if it resolves the problem. 😀

Yes, it’s my fault.