VOGONS

VDMSound + Albion = doesn't work

Topic actions

First post, by [vEX]

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,
I'm trying to get Albion running in WinXP but can't get it to work with my soundcard.
I've tried both VDMsound & SoundFX and none of them have worked, all I get is a message telling me "Digital sound hardware not found".
Albion uses the program "setsound.exe" also seen in old Lucas Arts games if I'm not mistaken.
Any ideas ?

Specs:
AMD K6-2 400MHz
448MB SDram
40GB HDD
Voodoo 3 2000 PCI
Voyetra Turtle Beach Montego II
Windows XP Professional

Antec P182B | Asus P8Z77-V PRO | Intel i5 3570k | 16GB DDR3 | 4TB HDD | Pioneer BDR-207D | Asus Xonar DX | Altec Lansing CS21 | Eizo EV2736W-BK | Arch Linux (64-bit/x86_64)

Reply 1 of 84, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
[vEX] wrote:

...all I get is a message telling me "Digital sound hardware not found".

Is the sound setup program trying to pick the card for you automatically? If so, try manually selecting SoundBlaster.
Also, were you running VDMSound on the sound setup program? (If you don't, it will attempt to use XP's built-in emulation).

Albion uses the program "setsound.exe" also seen in old Lucas Arts games if I'm not mistaken.

They may have the same name, but sound setup programs vary quite a bit...

Reply 3 of 84, by Harekiet

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Yep program uses miles audio system, but i tried it here works fine in detecting the SB-16 and adlib or general midi for music. Afterwards the game plays fine too.

So might just be a wrong install of vdmsound on his machine, i don't know.

Reply 4 of 84, by [vEX]

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi again,
I run VDMS (and I have the update for 2.04) on the setsound.exe but I still can't select any card for "Digital Audio" only for "MIDI music" any ideas on what I might be doing wrong ?

Antec P182B | Asus P8Z77-V PRO | Intel i5 3570k | 16GB DDR3 | 4TB HDD | Pioneer BDR-207D | Asus Xonar DX | Altec Lansing CS21 | Eizo EV2736W-BK | Arch Linux (64-bit/x86_64)

Reply 5 of 84, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maybe the game doesn't have digital sound support. Make sure you're running the SETSOUND program with "Run with VDMSound" if you're not. If you are, *shrug*, reinstall.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 6 of 84, by [vEX]

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes I choose "Run with VDMS" on the file.
I just tested VDMsound on Warcraft II - Beyond The Dark Portal, same error which leads me to think I must have installed/configured it wrong.

Last edited by [vEX] on 2002-09-16, 13:44. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 84, by Zombie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

IIRC, I managed to run Albion on Windows 2000 with VDMSound and the sound worked just fine, Although I remember playing the game in Windows 98 (which was running it perfectly well).
I think I ran it in Win98 because I couldn't get it to work with VESA under Win2k.
Anyway, if you can't get the sound to work with VDMSound, you may want to try playing with the IRQ's a bit. Other than that, I don't see why it shouldn't work.

Reply 8 of 84, by [vEX]

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just tried a shitload of IRQ's and it still wont work 😒
Any ideas on what might be wrong ?

(BTW, using the launchpad & I've got the 2.0.4 update1)

Reply 9 of 84, by [vEX]

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, I've tried all different ways that I can think of (and even more that I've seen suggested on the forums) to get this game to work but it doesn't work at all. Running the SETSOUND.EXE with VDMSound and trying to select a soundcard gives me the same error no matter what I select. Trying to manually set the settings doesn't help either.

I've been told that it should work with SoundFX2002 but that worked as good as VDMSound (not at all that is).

Anyone can help me get this game working ?

Attachments

• Filename
    error.png
    File size
    16.58 KiB
    Downloads
    497 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 10 of 84, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No progress since this, eh?
showthread.php?s=&threadid=290

Well, I don't own the game, so I'll wait to see if Harekiet or someone replies again. Sorry to not be of help...

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 11 of 84, by [vEX]

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nope, and I thought I should post in here instead since it most likely is a VDMSound issue.

Reply 12 of 84, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
[vEX] wrote:

Nope, and I thought I should post in here instead since it most likely is a VDMSound issue.

If you're going to post on the same game/issue, please post to the original thread. That keeps us from having to waste time asking questions, performing checks,etc... If you can't find it, at least make a referral to it at the top of your post, in case we might be able to find it and extract any helpful information from the post.

I'm not sure what to tell you here. I managed to find my CD and it works just fine. Tried SoundBlaster and SoundBlaster 16 for the "Digital Audio", tried MPU-401 MIDI and SoundBlaster for the music. All worked fine. Also tried this using native XP SoundBlaster emulation, it worked too.

I never did find out if you tried this using native XP SoundBlaster emulation. Did you?

The only thing I could possibly think of, would be a conflict if you had set VDMSound to use an IRQ of 5. That could possibly freak out a DOS program as it would be seeing two SoundBlasters on the same IRQ.

Reply 13 of 84, by [vEX]

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nicht Sehr Gut: Ok, noted.
I think I tried XP native sb emulation, but I aint sure, going to try again (not that I think it will work).

Nope, that didn't work either.
Any ideas on what can be wrong ? Could it be that it (VDMSound) for some odd reason doesn't like me soundcard (Turtle Beach Montego 2) ?

Last edited by [vEX] on 2002-11-02, 11:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 14 of 84, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

VDMSound doesn't care about your soundcard, actually VDSMound should be detected by games even if you have *no* soundcard at all (weird, huh?)

In any case, the problem very likely lies in the interaction between the game and Windows. Funny, beacause all (other) games that use the Miles Sound interface work fine with VDMSound so maybe you've got one of the more recent versions of the interface/library. Try enabling logging in VDMSound and attach the log, see if the game even tries to "handshake" with VDMSound.

V.

Reply 16 of 84, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
[vEX] wrote:

Nicht Sehr Gut: Ok, noted.

Thanks. Besides, you'd hate it when we would turn around and ask the exact same questions as the 1st time around. Heh.

I think I tried XP native sb emulation, but I aint sure, going to try again...Nope, that didn't work either.

Bizarre. I even tried the hacked "CD-Rip" just to be sure and got the exact same results.

Could it be that it (VDMSound) for some odd reason doesn't like me soundcard (Turtle Beach Montego 2) ?

Unless it has some major bug with it's XP drivers, I don't see how. Have you tried other DOS titles with VDMSound in your XP?

Reply 17 of 84, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vladr wrote:

In any case, the problem very likely lies in the interaction between the game and Windows. Funny, beacause all (other) games that use the Miles Sound interface work fine with VDMSound ...

What I find strange is that we're both on XP, yet mine works flawlessly.

Reply 18 of 84, by [vEX]

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

vladr: I enabled logging for errors & warnings only and it didn't create any logs so there is no error, however I set it to log everything and here's the log. (Can't upload .log files so it's renamed to .txt)

I'm going to try something I've should have tried from the start,
uninstall VDMSound & VDMSound Launchpad and then reinstall VDMSound but not install the update nor the launchpad too see what happens.

Attachments

• Filename
    vdms.txt
    File size
    91.16 KiB
    Downloads
    187 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 19 of 84, by [vEX]

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Finally some progress !! 😀
I haven't re-installed update1 (yet) but now I can get some sound.
When selecting MIDI device I tried all the soundblaster ones without any luck so I thought I should try the AdLib one since VDMSound also emulates AdLib soundcards and it works fine, but I still can't get the Digital Sound to work no matter what soundcard I pick.