VOGONS

First post, by Guest

User metadata

VDMsound can run Ultima Underworld and manages to make the music sound the same as it did in DOS (i.e. the same instruments). However, midi files of the music sound different. Is this because they have been programmed again from scratch? In that case is the original music only available inside the game (so you can't get an exact-sounding midi file)?

Reply 1 of 6, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

MIDI means "Musical Instrument Digital Interface". It's a definition about how musical instruments talks with another instruments and computers.

VDMSound takes the MIDI notes from the game and it passes through the MIDI synthetizer of your card.

You have a Sound Blaster Pro? You get crap.
You have an integrated sound card? Still, you get crap 😦
You have an Audigy? It sounds better, but...
You have an Audigy with some 32 megs sound bank? Awesome!!!
You have a 1 million $ external synthetizer? Yeah, and I got and Orchestra at home...

Quality of MIDI output depends on your card... Maybe if you can plug your old synthetizer or sound card...

Reply 2 of 6, by Guest

User metadata

The same sound card is used for both types of music, in-game and separate files, so I'm not sure what you mean. Winamp playing .mid files sounds different to the in-game music... this is probably because the .mid files were made separately. What I'm getting at is how do you get the same sounds in Winamp (or whatever) as in the game? A different way of interpreting the midi or what? I love the way the original music sounds and the .mid files are just not the same!

Reply 3 of 6, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Zup means exactly what s/he says. MIDI sound is a collection of "electronic notes" that says soimething like "Flute - give me an short A", "Clarinet - give me a long F-sharp", "Organ - give me a really deep C". And this is what VDMSound passes to the Windows MIDI driver. So whatever sound you hear, depends on how Windows/DirectX/Sound Driver/Card converts those instructions to audible tones.

I *think* you can configre VDMSound to use different Windows-MIDI's. Check the settings in the LaunchPad. It might make a difference.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 5 of 6, by Guest

User metadata

Yeah, disabling MPU401 emulation in VDMSound has no effect, but both Soundblaster and Adlib must be enabled otherwise I can't hear any sound. I guess this means the sounds in the game are inaccessible from outside but in any case what I would really like is a way of playing my (external) .mid files so they sound the same as in game... probably up to Winamp to sort this out.