VOGONS

First post, by PatrickWarner

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In the readme it states that the driver giveio.sys will cause problems for VDMSound.

I don't find that driver on my system.

It also implies that there may be other drivers which could do same but does not give the names. Does anyone know what other offending software or drivers I need to get rid of if I am having problems with VDMSound?

What I am seeing is that the sound is working exactly the same (i.e. with same problems) whether or not I load the VDMS program. See the thread on Airline Simulator 2 posted earlier today for the example I am looking at right now.

On my previous PC (this one is new), when using VDMS with old programs I typically saw at least some difference with / without VDMS running even if it didn't resolve the problem completely.

Is there any way to prove that VDMS is running correctly other than the change in sound in the programs you are using?

thanks
Patrick.

MSI K8N Neo 2 Planinum
Athlon FX-55, 1GB Ram, Radeon X800Pro
Audigy 2 ZS Pro
WinXPPro

Reply 1 of 8, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

WinXP comes with a fairly nasty SB emulation built into NTVDM (DOS virtual machine). Your 1st challange is to find out if you're actually using VDMSound or if the MS driver is being used instead? Maybe VDMSound is never being used given the sounds are alike (with/out VDMSound being loaded). I run Win2K so no next to nothing about the built in SB emulation layer of WinXP.

Reply 2 of 8, by PatrickWarner

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok thanks

How to I work out whether the Microsoft emulation or the VDMsound emulation is being used then?

MSI K8N Neo 2 Planinum
Audigy 2 ZS Pro
WinXPPro

Reply 4 of 8, by PatrickWarner

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You mean by putting A0 as the base port address?

If I do that won't it also cause a problem for the game I am trying to run as the blaster environment variable will be set wrong?

MSI K8N Neo 2 Planinum
Audigy 2 ZS Pro
WinXPPro

Reply 5 of 8, by PatrickWarner

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have tried putting SET BLASTER=A0 as the blaster variable to disable the XP emulation.

However, I get no sound in the game. This doesn't surprise me as the game is probably using A0 as the blaster address.

However if I then try to change the Blaster variable from within my dos session, I still get no sound, and after quitting the game the blaster variable has automatically reverted to A0.

Therefore I'm not quite following how I can disable the XP SB emulation whilst still succesfully using VDMSound.
cheers

MSI K8N Neo 2 Planinum
Audigy 2 ZS Pro
WinXPPro

Reply 6 of 8, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Patrick - I am not sure if this will work, but I think you can do this:

1) In AUTOEXEC.NT do the "SET BLASTER=A0" trick. This should prevent the NTVDM SoundBlaster emulation from working.

2) In the VDMSound LaunchPad, go to "Advanced..", then "Troubleshooting" tab. Enable "Diagnostic log" and log Everything for the VDMSound SoundBlaster emulation. You might also want to enable logging for all the other stuff in there.

3) You can also try to add a "SET BLASTER=some valid values" in the "Custom configuration" field of the "Troubleshooting" tab.

Now run the game, and see if you can locate the log-file. I am nor sure where VDMSound creates the file, so go crazy with the search function & "modified in the last 1 days". If the game is going through the SoundBlaster emulation provided by VDMSound, you should see *something* in the log.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 7 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

When using the "Run with VDMS" shortcut, the environment variable BLASTER is set via VDMS.INI in the VDMSound directory.

You can verify this by using "Run with VDMS" on command.com in the system32 directory. Run it, type in SET and you should see: "BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H5 P330 T6"

Whereas just running cmd.exe, autoexec.nt uses: BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 P330 T3

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 8 of 8, by PatrickWarner

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have created the VDMS log file and it does say that the SB emulation was initialised. It is full of performance warnings about DMA updates too infrequent.

Is that an indication that VDMSound is running correctly then?

MSI K8N Neo 2 Planinum
Audigy 2 ZS Pro
WinXPPro