VOGONS

First post, by Ling

User metadata

Hi
I tried the Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes on my PC. Previously, it only run only when all sounds are turned off, but using VDMS, the music works perfect, the only problem is in the game, the mouse seems to be not working when I'm using VDMS. It previously worked before I used VDMS. Keyboard is still OK.
Can anyone tell me what's the possible cause for this?
Thanks!

Reply 1 of 11, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ling wrote:

...but using VDMS, the music works perfect, the only problem is in the game, the mouse seems to be not working when I'm using VDMS.

That doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Are you sure you didn't disable the mouse when you were reconfiguring the audio (both are controlled by the setup program)?

If you have XP you could try the native emulation (read the posting guidelines please...). If not, disable the audio and try it again to see to see if your mouse is still disabled.

In the meantime, from my own entries at Vlad's compatibility database at http://vdmsound.sourceforge.net/compat/ , you should be able to run "Lost Files..." on DosBox v0.55 (v0.56 gave me problems).

Reply 3 of 11, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, I had removed a properly working Sherlock, so I reinstalled and found that the mouse was indeed broken. Actually, I have vague memories of problems in general with the pointer.

I found that switching to keyboard control (only) seems to work, but only sporadically. I'm not sure why this install is behaving from my previous install. Will try to get back to this when I can.

XP emulation appears to be useless (No FM and enabling digital audio seems to cause the program to die during the intro).

Until then, I stick with my original recommendation of DosBox v0.55. About the only thing you lose is the Roland emulation.

Reply 4 of 11, by Spiro

User metadata

Well, this thread is rather old, but...
I made a search throug net and find this:

Bugs and Known Technical Problems

I can't move the mouse pointer around in the first room

This is a limitation of the software. You must use the keyboard to move around in this room. Elsewhere, you be able to use the mouse. EA apologizes for any inconvenience.

Reply 5 of 11, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Spiro Well, this thread is rather old, but...

At least this way, the bug is linked to the question.

This is a limitation of the software. You must use the keyboard to move around in this room. Elsewhere, you be able to use the mouse. EA apologizes for any inconvenience.

I have to admit, this is a strange bug to not bother fixing. Consider that it affects everyone and should've been caught long before it was released.

Reply 7 of 11, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by eL_PuSHeR If you are refering to the serrated scalpel

Yes.

i've got to say it's working for me as long as i am not using extended memory.

Works fine for me with, or without using EMS. However, the mouse doesn't work on the 1st-screen wither way.

Reply 9 of 11, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Marcelo The mouse and sound are working fine with the latest version and patch of DosBox (including on the first screen!)

I presume that you're running it on a CVS release as there has been no official release since the earlier post.

Realize that CVS releases change all the time...what works on one CVS release may be broken on another.