VOGONS

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

OK, I'm using Windows 2000, SB Live! Value. I'm trying desperately to get the music working as it should in Day of the Tentacle.

I've tried identity, gm2mt (or whatever those files are called), and no matter what, the sound never sounds right. The music always seems too instrumental, and the bird (in the opening scene) never sounds right. I've tried a lot of combinations of Roland, MIDI, which .map file, etc, but I really don't know what else to do. I clearly remember, a year back or so, I got it to work (that was before I reinstalled windows and lost VDMSound), and now I don't know how I had it all set up.

Just so I am entirely certain, the bird in the intro is supposed to be 'honking', right? Not a 'twinkling', or anything bizarre, correct?

Now, I've read that Adlib doesn't work with dott due to some sort of machine-speed timeout on the old forum, but does that mean that DOTT only has good-sounding music with Adlib? Is there some way to get Adlib to work (Ie, slowdown program)? Can I make the sound be as it should on my current hardware/software?

Thanks.

Reply 2 of 6, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Unregistered wrote:
OK, I'm using Windows 2000, SB Live! Value. I'm trying desperately to get the music working as it should in Day of the Tentacle […]
Show full quote

OK, I'm using Windows 2000, SB Live! Value. I'm trying desperately to get the music working as it should in Day of the Tentacle.

I've tried identity, gm2mt (or whatever those files are called), and no matter what, the sound never sounds right. The music always seems too instrumental, and the bird (in the opening scene) never sounds right. I've tried a lot of combinations of Roland, MIDI, which .map file, etc, but I really don't know what else to do. I clearly remember, a year back or so, I got it to work (that was before I reinstalled windows and lost VDMSound), and now I don't know how I had it all set up.

Just so I am entirely certain, the bird in the intro is supposed to be 'honking', right? Not a 'twinkling', or anything bizarre, correct?

Now, I've read that Adlib doesn't work with dott due to some sort of machine-speed timeout on the old forum, but does that mean that DOTT only has good-sounding music with Adlib? Is there some way to get Adlib to work (Ie, slowdown program)? Can I make the sound be as it should on my current hardware/software?

Thanks.

The bird *is* supposed to be chirping (not honking).
In DOTT's setup make sure to select General MIDI (not Roland). Then use the identity mapping. Also make your default MIDI device (in Control Panel, [Sounds & ]Multimedia) is the Microsoft GS SoftSynth for most accurate results (unless you own a SoundCanvas module/card, inc which case select that one). Thenm what you hear is what the game waas meant to sound like by Lucas, no kidding.

An updated vesrion of SPEEDSET may also be able to slow down the game sufficiently for it to detect AdLib.

Also try DosBox for AdLib sound.

V.

Reply 5 of 6, by edelbeb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You'll probably want these patches from lucas arts:

http://support.lucasarts.com/patches/patchdet … sp?Selection=12

VDMS needs the Roland patch (even if you are using the CD version) if you want music.

If you have any other problems, you might try the following program:

http://www.mixnmojo.com/temp/quickandeasy3.exe

(A major thank you goes to Bgbennyboy for writing the quickandeasy program and making it available!)

Reply 6 of 6, by bgbennyboy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Adlib detection (without the patch) in DOTT will work if you use the floppy interpreter (the exe) to run it.
You'll probably need to use a large buffer to get voice working properly eg 'tentacle.exe a s220/7/50'