VOGONS

TIE Fighter

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just want to thank the author for writing this piece of software. It is simply amazing. I think WinXP now has better DOS Audio support than DOS did!

I admit there are some quirks to getting everything working, but it really wasn't much. Heck there wasn't even any rebooting (ie DOS DAYS!!!!)

I just played TIE Fighter CD and X-Wing CD with a 50MB Soundfont. OMG!!!!! Time to dig up the Fluid soundfont so I can run some games with a 150MB soundfont!!! I also forced on some EAX in the Creative mixer. Wow, DOS games sound good now 😀

Lately I'd been thinking of looking up a AWE64 Gold and rigging it up with massive amounts of sample RAM so I could have one helluva DOS rig. Now my main rig is the best I can imagine!

Reply 2 of 10, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, you can just get 'em from http://www.hammersound.net

just go to sounds/soundfont library/collections. I haven't gotten anything from there for a long time so there may be some new stuff but my favs are the Synergi 8MB (cuz it sounds awesome for the size) and the 50MB Taji Generation 4 SE (there are some variants on this one.) Fluid Rev3 is also up on there, it's like 160MB total but it's not THAT much better than Taji.

But please do try some others and let me know if they kick ass.

Dusty

Reply 3 of 10, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm, can't seem to edit my last post....

Anyway, has anyone gotten TIE Fighter CD to run at 640x480? All I get is a bunch of garbled nonsense (which does garble around if i move the joystick, so it is doing something)

Man, if this thing had good VESA support it would be nearly the end-all to the need for DOS and Win98!!!

Reply 4 of 10, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've been having problems on and off with TIE Fighter using General MIDI. Sometimes it loads, sometimes it won't (sometimes it's 1 in 50 tries it will work). I've found that disabling music in the setup program fixes the problem so it must be a problem with the MIDI emulation. I'm using all the default MIDI settings.

I also tried different sized soundfonts to be sure that wasn't the issue, and I tried disabling Adlib support in VDMsound.

AthlonXP 2000+
512MB DDR
Radeon 8500
SBLive with 7/02 drivers

Reply 5 of 10, by Rela

User metadata
swaaye wrote:

Hmm, can't seem to edit my last post....

Anyway, has anyone gotten TIE Fighter CD to run at 640x480? All I get is a bunch of garbled nonsense (which does garble around if i move the joystick, so it is doing something)

I have. I'm running Win2kpro SP2. I've found that TIE won't detect VESA unless the dos box is ALREADY full screen when you start it. (IE open a dos box, alt-enter, run dosdrv, then run tie). Then it runs fine in it's 'hi-res' mode. It looks great, too. =)

Reply 7 of 10, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My main problem is really with the sound. I'm having a very difficult time getting it to start. It seems random, sometimes it just runs and works 100%. The other 30 tries, it just sits there with DOS4GW loading. Here's the log:

@I - 10:23:48.158 - JoystickController
Polling thread cancelled
@I - 10:23:48.158 - JoystickController
JoystickCtl released
@I - 10:23:48.158 - MPU401Controller
MPU401Ctl released
@I - 10:23:48.158 - SBController
SBCompatCtl released
@I - 10:23:48.288 - SBWavePlayer
WaveOut released
@I - 10:23:48.298 - AdLibController
Playback thread cancelled
@I - 10:23:48.298 - AdLibController
AdLibCtl released
@I - 10:23:48.428 - AdLibWavePlayer
WaveOut released
@I - 10:23:48.428 - DMATransferManager
Transfer Manager thread cancelled
@I - 10:23:48.428 - DMATransferManager
TransferMgr released
@I - 10:23:48.428 - MIDIPlayer
Garbage collector thread cancelled
@I - 10:23:48.428 - MIDIPlayer
MIDIOut released
@I - 10:23:48.428 - SysExIndicator
ActivityLights released
@I - 10:23:48.428 - VDMServicesProvider
VDMServices released

As for the VESA stuff. I'm beginning to think my Radeon 8500 is the problem. I couldn't even get TIE to run SVGA in REAL Dos mode on my older Radeon 32DDR (it would lock up solid when it entered high rez gameplay). I'm thinking the scrambling could be the VESA BIOS on this 8500. Also, whenever TIE quits in XP, the desktop is all scrambled. I can fix this with a resolution change but I've read that the newest Radeon drivers have issues with Windows and VESA modes.

Reply 8 of 10, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Snover wrote:

That's strange. VDMSound, when VESA is enabled, SHOULD be opening the window fullscreen BEFORE the game runs. Vlaaaaaaaad?

Yeah, I noticed this kind of weird behaviour with another VESA game (Legend's DeathGate), i.e. running the game in full-screen won't do (even opening a DOS box, putting it in full-screen, then running dosdrv.exe + game doesn't work), you really have to hit Alt+Enter while the DOSDRV license is being shown. Yet another NTVDM.EXE feature, i expect (i.e. VESA support somehow conditional on someone pressing Alt+Enter after the first 16-bit program loads).

V.

Reply 10 of 10, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'll look into it. Either "Alt+Enter" or another DOS program that triggers full-screen. TBD.

V.

Snover wrote:

Emulate Alt+Enter keypresses by DOSDRV? (Or would that be impossible without that nasty IO DLL which makes VDMSound defunct?)