VOGONS

First post, by kevingpo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I notice that the usual VDMSound website URL doesn't work anymore.

What is the new VDMSound website URL?

Reply 2 of 13, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

the homepage seems to be down for good.
the urls above are not to the homepage. The first one is only the sf project page and the second one is rather pointless when the question is already posed here...

Reply 5 of 13, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Topic has been raised before. Vlad left the company where he worked and the site was hosted at and they reorganised it .... into the land of 404. This happened some time shortly after Christmas IIRC.

I think Vlad had said that the CVS was in fact V2.1.0 (or at least the latest) so that's 'safe' at least. However, as many will already know, once people move to WinXP64 VDMSound will become an unusable solution 🙁

Vlad's page was terribly out of date anyway since this forum was set up on VOGONS 😀

2.1.0 is as much a beta as 2.0.4 IMO 😉

Reply 6 of 13, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

AFAIR Vlad doesn't see VDMS not as important anymore since Dosbox does most of the things way better than VDMS ever could (and that on Win9x as well).
A nice little website on his SF webspace wouldn't hurt though...

Reply 7 of 13, by kevingpo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dominus wrote:

AFAIR Vlad doesn't see VDMS not as important anymore since Dosbox does most of the things way better than VDMS ever could (and that on Win9x as well).
A nice little website on his SF webspace wouldn't hurt though...

You see, DOSBox is slow to run heavy old DOS games like Blood, Shadow Warrior, Duke Nukem 3D, etc. We needed VDMSound to get DOS sound blaster working for these ancient games that only supported the really old DOS-days sound cards (SB, etc.).

It's a shame that VDMS stopped. I wonder if Vlad still checks his emails and whether he will pass the VDMS project on to someone... like me..

Reply 8 of 13, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What exactly do you want (more than what it does already) from VDMSound? It's difficult to see what [major] improvements could be made that would be worthwhile.

VLAD will not put any more effort into it. However he has not stopped anyone else grabbing the CVS and doing what they like with it either!

DOSBox is indeed [too] heavy for most games but everyone should choose the 'right tool' for the job and in that case it means DOSBox for some, VDMSound for others, Virtual PC for the few 😀

Last but not least. Microsoft have removed all 16bit capability from WinXP64 so VDMSound will not be of any use - as none of the games will run anyways! DOSBox (and the like) will be the only choice. Mind you anyone with 64bit hardware will not have any issue with DOSBox 😉

Reply 9 of 13, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As great as VDMS is, its usefulness is nearing an end. With the coming 64 bit era and the end of NTVDM, DOSBox will have to used for all that we now use VDMS for.
BTW, DOSBox runs great in WinXP64. It seems to place far less of a load on the CPU in 64 bit Windows than in regular XP on my dual boot computer.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 11 of 13, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

From Microsoft 😀 AMD64 and the recent Intel x64 hardware is supported. There are also 'special' Itanium chip variants of some Windows OS's as well. Unelss you're into huge data processing it's a waste of time and money. There are some tasks where more bits count but not that many that affect people in the real world. Watch the dust settle and price drop (as with any 'new' tech).

Reply 12 of 13, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Also there are ports for Duke Nukem 3D and Shadow Warrior (still being worked on), there is also a port for Blood based on Jonof's work but since there is no source code the port is going kind of slow.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 13 of 13, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I'd also say if you go for 64bit use the AMD. AFAIK it is actually better than the Intel one.
But yeah, right now it is a waste of money.