VOGONS

First post, by guest

User metadata

😕
Hello there. I have several questions both about vdmsound and dosbox.
the last official version of vdm sound appears to be 2.10. Will there be any updates at all, or has the development been stopped for good?
I hear that dosbox is still under development though. Can I run dosbox using some old hardware attached to com2?
I am totally blind and require the use of special text to speech hardware to read the screen. Some of the old dos games I am able to play worked well with speech, but is dosbox able to emulate a com port? I want to be able attach the hardware to the serial port and run the speech software tsr along with my dos game.

Reply 1 of 5, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

vdmsound is indeed dead. at least for the moment. but considering the introduction of 64 processors it will probably stay dead.

0.63 has some functionality when it comes to communicating with external com ports. This is still in a very early stage and one of the forum regulars has improved it (quite) a bit. I've heard many positive things of it.
You can find this executable + sourcecode in a newly created forum called dosbox patches.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 5, by whocrazy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello there. Unfortunately, I tried the patch and it doesn't work, at least my speech program won't run. it says unhandled int call 1. I am also using the dosbox front end d-fend, Maybe I've set something wrong? are you able to tell me the right settings to put in? should I turn on the virtual modem or allow direct serial port connection, my speech hardware is attached to com2, should I make the virtual com port the same as the real com port?
Thanks

Reply 3 of 5, by whocrazy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there. I really hope that someone is able to help. I would love to be able to play all my old classics.. btw: I have windows xp sp2. I understand com port access is severely limited under this operating system. Once again, is anyone able to help get my com port setup through dos box properly?
Thanks

Reply 4 of 5, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think you should allow direct serial port connection:
directserial=true
Also try to attach your speech hardware to com1 (i suppose configurating may be easier)
You should also try to ask on a DosBox (not vdmsound) forum with a proper title.