VOGONS

Death Rally & Solar Winds

Topic actions

Reply 22 of 33, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Unregistered ...but when I exit the game, my video display is all "funky" and I have to reboot to clear it up.

Well it's usually related to your hardware...and we have no idea what that is as you haven't told us.

Odds are this is a video driver issue. You shouldn't have to reboot unless it's locked up your system. Have you tried going back to the desktop and changing video modes?

Reply 24 of 33, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Unregistered I've running an ATI 9700 Pro.

I'm not sure that the Radeon needs NOLFB. Have you tried running it without NOLFB? You still haven't mentioned your OS. I'm guessing Win2K or XP, but you shouldn't have to reboot just to clear your video display. Just changing video resolutions temporarily should refresh the desktop. If not, logging off, then back on.

If you're on Win9x, then you should probably reboot anyway to clear your memory.

I've tried various combinations of resolutions and color depths to no avail.

?? Is this "compatibility mode" you are talking about? If so, that only applies to Windows titles, not DOS.

Reply 27 of 33, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Snover ?? That doesn't make any sense...

I've seen numerous corrupted desktop display from DOS titles like this, but it's the first I've heard of on an NT-based OS.

In any case, if NOLFB isn't absolutely necessary, it shouldn't be used.

Reply 29 of 33, by Deledrius

User metadata

Well, I'm not sure about Solar Winds I, as I don't recall having any difficulty with it (but I haven't played it through since back on my 286). Solar Winds II, however, has been giving me the same lock-up problem. I think I may have fixed it, but I'm not sure. The following post contains not answers, but evidence. Hopefully it will help:

I've tried the game in VPC, and in XP natively. No luck. I recently rebuilt by old 486DX2-66 -->
ATI Mach64, SB AWE64, 6gb HD (2 partitions: 2gb fat16, 4gb fat32), MS-DOS 6.2 and Win95b Dual-boot

The first time I set it up, I had the whole drive as a single fat32 partition, using MS-DOS 7 (Win95 OSR2). Solar Winds II still wouldn't work past the first encounter. I think the conjecture that it may somehow be related to digitsed sound may be in the right direction, as the first shot fired always locks it up. Note: I tend to skip the intro, having seen it before, so I was able to get into the game.

So, having that problem and a few others, I decided to wipe the machine and do a decent job of making an old-gaming machine and dual boot. I re-partitioned the drive, and tried running Solar Winds II under MS-DOS 6.2 on a 2gb FAT16 partition. Seems to work now. I got farther than I ever had before, no lock-ups.

I can't be certain that the partition had anything to do with it, but it's the only changed variable that I'm aware of. I've tried the game under MS-DOS 6.2 on VPC, so that's not it. It could also be the partition size, I'm not sure what size virtual drives I used in VPC. This wouldn't be the first old game to "seem" to run on non-FAT16 partitions, but not work quite right (Lemmings 2, etc.).

I wish I could offer an actual solution, but all I have is my observations. Hopefully these will come in handy for someone else. I know how helpful it is to read others' experiences trying to get these games working again.

Reply 31 of 33, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Deledrius Well, I'm not sure about Solar Winds I, as I don't recall having any difficulty with it (but I haven't played it through since back on my 286). Solar Winds II, however, has been giving me the same lock-up problem.

Oddly enough, I'm no longer locking up at the intro with DosBox 0.58. Intro works, so does combat, any attempt at communication seems to lock it up.

The following post contains not answers, but evidence. Hopefully it will help:

Well, it's appreciated, we're working towards a common goal here.

I've tried the game in VPC, and in XP natively. No luck.

It's a picky one, for sure...

I recently rebuilt by old 486DX2-66 -->
ATI Mach64, SB AWE64, 6gb HD (2 partitions: 2gb fat16, 4gb fat32), MS-DOS 6.2 and Win95b Dual-boot

A good setup for old software, but Win95 on a 486-66 is torture.

I think the conjecture that it may somehow be related to digitsed sound may be in the right direction, as the first shot fired always locks it up.

Seems reasonable. I was able to run it in VPC (with DOS 6) and had the same lock-up issues bypassed by disabling Digital audio. Funny, as that is the reverse of the problem I had with DosBox 0.58

Note: I tend to skip the intro, having seen it before, so I was able to get into the game.

Well, previously, that wasn't an option for me. The intro locked, bypassing the intro caused a lock...

I can't be certain that the partition had anything to do with it, but it's the only changed variable that I'm aware of.

It's possible. I haven't heard of any FAT32-intolerant titles out there, but I figure there are at least a few (my main FAT32 problem was large partitions causing the Installers to "freak out").

This wouldn't be the first old game to "seem" to run on non-FAT16 partitions, but not work quite right (Lemmings 2, etc.).

Don't recall hearing about that that one...

Hopefully these will come in handy for someone else. I know how helpful it is to read others' experiences trying to get these games working again.

That's the idea here...

FWIW, the next public release of DosBox should have it working properly...

Reply 32 of 33, by Unregistered

User metadata

Oddly enough, I'm no longer locking up at the intro with DosBox 0.58. Intro works, so does combat, any attempt at communication seems to lock it up.

If you enable the mouse, you can get around the communication lockup. Left mouse button progresses dialog. When Stone's dialog list appears, click the right mouse button to display the yellow highlighter, move the mouse to select desired dialog, and left click to activate.

I think there may be a problem with the mouse cursor not being visible, not sure. But disabling the mouse when starting Solar Winds does lock the game up in communications mode for me. Everything else seems to run fine though.

Reply 33 of 33, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Unregistered I think there may be a problem with the mouse cursor not being visible, not sure. But disabling the mouse when starting Solar Winds does lock the game up in communications mode for me. Everything else seems to run fine though.

Good tip, but if you just can't wait for the next official release of DosBox, try one of the CVS releases. It seems to run fine (no communication/mouse issue).