VOGONS

First post, by askpcguy100

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ahh finally some work being done with VDMsound on windows 98.

Here is my setup first.
AMD Athlon XP 1800+ or 1.5Ghz
ASUS A7A266 with the ALi magik chipset
Hercules Prophet III geforce 3 with 64MB ddr
I got 256MB PC2100 DDR sys RAM
a 30GB hard drive

And a sound blaster LIVE!

I've crawled the web in search of dos drivers for that LIVE! card. I managed to locate some, and got partial sound. Much to the amazement of Creative's technicians.

Then I found this, and tried the exact steps vlad listed.
I got no tip error box and nothing worked. So I read the entire forum, and got latest.zip.

I used that, followed the directions, and got the tip error. Tried it with hexen, no music or sound. Tried with heretic and experienced laggy music and no sound. Same with Doom2.

This is the best DOS sound I have heard since using the onboard C-MEDIA CMI8738SX 3D which does have DOS Support and fully works.

Thanks again to everyone working hard on this project.

HA HA HA thats me.

Reply 1 of 6, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by askpcguy100 Ahh finally some work being done with VDMsound on windows 98.

ermm...It's actually been stagnant since March.

I've crawled the web in search of dos drivers for that LIVE! card. I managed to locate some, and got partial sound. Much to the amazement of Creative's technicians.

If you're using the later (WDM) versions I could see why, I'm guessing that you're using the VXD version.

I used that, followed the directions, and got the tip error. Tried it with hexen, no music or sound. Tried with heretic and experienced laggy music and no sound. Same with Doom2.

Wow. I thought everyone was aware of the Source Ports by now...apparently not. In all honesty, save yourself some headaches and use a source port instead. You will save yourself (and us) a world of grief. I personally prefer JDOOM/ JHeretic/JHexen but tastes vary... (note: I go for the version that doesn't use the 3D model replacements).

This is the best DOS sound I have heard since using the onboard C-MEDIA CMI8738SX 3D which does have DOS Support and fully works.

Then you had better luck with it than me...

Reply 2 of 6, by askpcguy100

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes I wish I could use the newer OpenGL versions. However I am a purist and those ports junk up the music. They do look wonderful though.

Been stangent since march.. nooo the project must be carried on. I wish there was something I could do to raise awareness on this project and bring on fresh recruits for it.

HA HA HA thats me.

Reply 4 of 6, by askpcguy100

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Then download the MP3 soundtrack and use it instead.

Thank you, I've seen those MP3 tracks, however they are all remixes. The reason I persist on this is because I believe someone out there can make it work. I am faced with using my onboard audio and having DOS Support. But at the cost of a lower quality sound processor. If I stick with the SB Live! I get no dos support and the best sound processing.

I will still browse the web for any VXD programming sites and forums, looking for people who might be intrested in working on it.

HA HA HA thats me.

Reply 5 of 6, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by askpcguy100 Thank you, I've seen those MP3 tracks, however they are all remixes.

Actually, the tracks by "Mr. Chris" are the original MIDI tunes, but they are being played by a soundcard that obviously uses a different wavetable than yours. I can sympathize. I originally played DOOM using a GUS card, so I want everything to sound like the GUS version.

From what I understand, the MP2 versions here (or better...here under "Ultimate Doom) are the closest to what the original musician intended the music to sound like...

I'm sure there's a way to use the MP2's instead...but it would be probably difficult. The best way would be to change the MIDI output from the DOOMSDAY machine to use a wavetable of your choosing.

I'm still using an older JDOOM, so I'm not sure how that's done in the newer version of the engine.

Reply 6 of 6, by askpcguy100

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So it looks like VDMSOUND cannot let me use my newer sound blaster with old dos games. If I want to play those, I have to setup my rig to use the onboard and play them, then when done, go back to the LIVE card. What a mess.

Thanks for your help Nicht Sehr Gut.

I appreciate it.

HA HA HA thats me.