VOGONS

Win98? PLEASE?????!

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 63, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Also for those who want to keep a dedicated 9x box until full emulation of 9x in all it's "glory" can be accomplished. 😀

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 41 of 63, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
LSD wrote:

Seriously though, at the end of the day, whats the difference? The OPL chip gets emulated either way making his claim debatable either way.

Not all "cards" emulate the OPL (i.e. the stuff that comes built into most MoBo's, I'm pretty sure, doesn't). And I have doubts about the accuracy of the EMU's OPL emulation.

As for the "point", you're not the one writing the VxD, so what do you care? 😜

V.

Reply 42 of 63, by LSD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vladr wrote:

Not all "cards" emulate the OPL (i.e. the stuff that comes built into most MoBo's, I'm pretty sure, doesn't). And I have doubts about the accuracy of the EMU's OPL emulation.

As for the "point", you're not the one writing the VxD, so what do you care? 😜

V.

eh? I think someones mixed two seperate discussions here...

The point about the OPL was that certain cards emulated it long before he wrote his VxD so him claiming that he's the first to hear emulated AdLib on a 9x system is debatable at best.

Wasurenaide...
...watashi ga iru koto o.
Itsudatte soba ni iru yo.

Gentoo. Because everything else is just shit. 😁
Registered Linux user #319839

Reply 43 of 63, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Allow me to quote myself this time:

By emulated he meant software emulated, BTW, not EMU8000 (hardware) emulated.

So from this point of view Chris is 100% right. Please be reasonable and do not reply just for the sake of having the last word -- I have a ton of things to do and spending time replying to each other's "but..." replies only makes the ton of things get bigger.

V.

Reply 44 of 63, by LSD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vladr wrote:

Please be reasonable and do not reply just for the sake of having the last word -- I have a ton of things to do and spending time replying to each other's "but..." replies only makes the ton of things get bigger.

(I know, I know but this has to be said) Funny thing is, theres nothing forcing you to do that other than wanting the "last word" so the same argument could be made against you but, since you're an admin, thats perfectly acceptable.

I'll "be reasonable" and shut up now.

Wasurenaide...
...watashi ga iru koto o.
Itsudatte soba ni iru yo.

Gentoo. Because everything else is just shit. 😁
Registered Linux user #319839

Reply 45 of 63, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was going to post a reply, something about how VDMSound's SB emulation _should_be_ better than any of the other software or hardware emulation solutions out there, from a true audiophile's standpoint, but I changed my mind. 😜 Just ignore me. 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 46 of 63, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vladr wrote:

Last time I talked to Chris (one week ago) VDMSound was working relatively well on Win98 with full SB and AdLib support.

Awesome. Tell Chris to keep us posted on progress. 😀

Stiletto

Reply 47 of 63, by ValiantX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@LSD and other NO-voters: Problem is that WinXP sometimes got worse DOS-emulation, in some specific cases. For example the stated mouse-problem in MadTV 1. By the way, I think the mouse problems I'm encountering in "Elder Scrolls I: Arena" are the same. On some screens (not on all of them), the mouse will only move if I click around with every mouse button available, and even then very badly and I always click buttons I don't want to click but pass while click-moving the mouse 😠 someone told me to set the mouse to "Exclusive Mode" but it didn't help.

Reply 48 of 63, by jez

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

To the above post: preeeeeecisely. That's the main reason I started this whole thread off. Boy there's been a lot of discussion since my last post, wonder why I didn't get an e-mail informing me of this. Is the system working???

Anyway, to add to the discussion...

It would be a *very* good thing is VDMsound was ported to Win9x. Many DOS games work better under Windows 9x, and it's not just mouse problems. When I run Acid Tetris in WinXP with VDMsound, for example, there is a lagtime between me pressing the key and a movement occuring, making the game virtually unplayable. Lots of little things which are the result of XP or 2k not being designed to be DOS-compatible.

Isn't the whole point of VDMsound to allow old DOS stuff (usually games) which use the sound card to still work with modern systems? And if there's an OS which works better with DOS than XP, surely it would be more desirable to have VDMsound on that OS, so as to obtain maximum DOS compatibility, whilst at the same time having working sound? That's why I have my dual-boot.

😀

== Jez ==

Reply 49 of 63, by ValiantX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just what I wanted to say 😉 !! So who's in charge of the port now? I heard someone is working on it.

The notification system is working, it informed me of your post. Maybe you should check your e-mail in the control panel of the forum.

Reply 50 of 63, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ValiantX wrote:

Just what I wanted to say 😉 !! So who's in charge of the port now? I heard someone is working on it.

There's a guy named Chris who's been working on it - although we haven't heard from him in a few weeks. Some changes have been made in the VDMSound CVS on SourceForge, but they're not final/completely working yet, supposedly.

Stiletto

Reply 51 of 63, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, I e-mailed Chris yesterday, hopefully he's not too busy with exams or whatever and he'll be able to answer this weekend. VDMSound as it stands now in CVS, I think, is OK -- there were mainly some problems with the VxD or VxD communication (the system would lock up occasionally), and a very weird one (DirectSound would not work properly). I've been bugging Chris to send me the source-code -- this way I'd be able to test it in VmWare and so on, but then he got all busy and have yet to hear from him.

V.

Reply 56 of 63, by Marauder

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I asked and got a reply from Creative, there is absolutely no dos support in their new Audigy 2 soundcard. Even the SB16 emulation under Win98 is gone. So the Win98 version from VDMSound would be crucial because some games just refuse to work in XP/2000.

Reply 58 of 63, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The mass abandonment of DOS is well underway. The last group of Philip's soundcards gave full support "across-the-board": DOS, Win95, Win98, Win98SE, WinME, Win2K, WinXP. For DOS, they even specified support for both DOS "sessions" (within Win9x) and "REAL" mode.

Their most recent soundcards show no support for anything earlier than Win98.

Reply 59 of 63, by jez

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh come on, I mean I don't mean to be rude but the last few posts have been pretty clueless 😀 We all know that the mass abandonment of DOS is underway, that's why we support VDMsound, especially the Win9x version!

== Jez ==