VOGONS

Win98? PLEASE?????!

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 63, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by jez Oh come on, I mean I don't mean to be rude but the last few posts have been pretty clueless

It's only recently come to this situation. Like I said, a few months ago, ALL of Philips soundcards had full support (so you could still go out and buy a brand-name soundcard with proper DOS support). Now, it's almost completely gone.

And yes, we know it's been underway. It's like watching a ship sink. Last I looked, the bow was under water and the stern was lifting into the air. Now, there's only the tip of the stern showing with lots of bubbles all around it.

None of this changes anything, of course. Until that VxD issue is "fixed". You're dead in the water.

Reply 61 of 63, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

*I'm* starting to want VDMS for Win98. My 'intermediary' computer (read: 450MHz Celeron laptop, where my 'old' computer is 486-66DX2 and my 'new' computer is 1533MHz Athlon XP) has a built-in ESS "Maestro" soundcard and its DOS driver program only supports SBPro whereas it most obviously supports 16-bit audio (24-bit potentially, actually, since it decodes Dolby Digital audio).

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 62 of 63, by Marauder

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Next year we will see Win98/ME support gone. New hardware still supports it and I can dual-boot and keep the 98 SE but during next year it will become slowly impossible if there aren't going to be drivers for them. Hopefully by that point dosbox has developed to a point where 98SE is no longer needed for playing few stubborn dos-games...but of course it won't help those W95/98 games that are impossible to get working under XP/2000. Fortunately they are pretty scarce.

Reply 63 of 63, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

When that happens HOPEFULLY. Connectix will come to their sense and either offer a shim for their emulator or emulate a 3D accelerator. A shim is more likely tho.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline