VOGONS

First post, by Harekiet

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

[vladr: this has been spawned from the "Sauro Puccini releases MSCDEX replacement for WinNT/2k/XP" thread in "Announcements"]

What special features does it have over the standard win2k one?

Reply 2 of 94, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

NOTE: It WILL. It's not there yet. At the moment, it's just a replacement. Sez SaPu (edited a bit):

The current source has very few differences from the MS one. I just changed a little few points where data was not returned exa […]
Show full quote

The current source has very few differences from the MS one.
I just changed a little few points where data was not returned exactly like the DOS mscdex version.
In detail:
- the version number returned was 2.21 (now is 2.23).
- the AUDIO_TRACK_INFO and AUDIO_Q_CHANNEL_INFO commands returned the
Control/Address field in inverted order (now i hope it's ok, but i'm not 100% sure).
- the UPC_CODE command returned data was in ASCII format (now is binary).

Except for this, there aren't more relevant changes.

In order to have a valid feedback from the 'testing' version, i also added a feature to enable logging of 'unimplemented requests' into the file "c:\vcdex.log".

If you can try it with 'not working' DOS applications, and they still don't work, check the log file ("c:\vcdex.log").

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 3 of 94, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So, for right now, test out those DOS CD games! If your game runs into an unimplemented function, post the vcdex.log and the name of the game, details, etc. In the future, we will try to implement the missing functions.

Thanks to Vlad and SaPu for all their hard work!

Harekiet, talk to Vlad if you'd like to see the WIP sourcecode. We were talking about what DOSBOX could do to implement this, anyhow.

(I had some ideas for spot-on CD images using Daemon Tools and Pete Bernert's SBI/M3S patch files for reading subchannel info - if needed, but best to talk to Vlad.)

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 5 of 94, by Harekiet

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Hehe yeah i'm having a talk with Vlad. Still have to implement mscdex with dosbox. Kinda sux with the cross platfrom support for direct cd access though, i'll have to see for some new cross platform libraries to support ioctl commands.
Same with midi support, there should be some cross platform midi support libraries too 😀

Reply 6 of 94, by Fisu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As requested I tested SUPACDEX with dos game that doesn't work correctly with mscdex. With mscdex the game works otherwise flawlesly, but cd-audio does not work.

With SUPACDEX result is blank screen and this in .log:

UNSUPPORTED SERVICE 1234
UNSUPPORTED SERVICE 1500

Game was Fantasy General.

Reply 8 of 94, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

(shouldn't this probably be a new thread?) [vladr: now it is!]

Well, I tried with Wing Commander 3 and got the same log as Fisu:
20:45:39 UNSUPPORTED SERVICE 1234
20:45:39 UNSUPPORTED SERVICE 1500
(the 1500 service repeated over and over).
But there didn't seem to be an apparent issue with it, meaning the game worked as good as with the mscdexnt.

Reply 9 of 94, by Fisu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

X-com apocalypse:

22:39:38 UNSUPPORTED SERVICE 1500
22:39:38 UNSUPPORTED SERVICE 150c
22:39:38 UNSUPPORTED SERVICE 150b
22:39:38 UNSUPPORTED SERVICE 150d
22:39:38 UNSUPPORTED SERVICE 1501
22:39:38 UNSUPPORTED SERVICE 150f
22:39:38 UNSUPPORTED SERVICE 150f

Screamer Rally 3:

22:23:18 UNSUPPORTED SERVICE 1500
22:23:18 UNSUPPORTED SERVICE 1500
22:23:18 UNSUPPORTED SERVICE 1501
22:23:18 UNSUPPORTED SERVICE 1510
22:23:18 UNSUPPORTED DEVICE REQUEST d
22:23:18 UNSUPPORTED DEVICE REQUEST 80

repeat
22:23:19 UNSUPPORTED DEVICE REQUEST 80
22:23:19 UNSUPPORTED SERVICE 1510
while i<200

repeat
22:23:24 UNSUPPORTED SERVICE 1510

Neither of which worked, but Xcomapoc doesn't work with mscdex either. It's problem with something else. Hopefully this will be enough 😀

Reply 10 of 94, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wowwers. This is so great! Sauro! You rule, dude!! We're all singing your praises here!

(Someone forward this to him and tell him to get his butt over here and posting! 😉)

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 12 of 94, by SaPu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oops...
It seems this version has a 'little' bug: it can log as 'UNSUPPORTED SERVICE nnnn' also the supported ones !!!
A new version will be released soon, but in the meantime you'll need to ignore every messages with 'nnnn' equal to one of the following values:
1234, 1500, 1501, 150b, 150c, 150d, 1510.

Last edited by SaPu on 2002-10-04, 17:22. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 15 of 94, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wha? He didn't say anything about it being FIXED...

any new features in 1.0.0.2? Just the fix? Details are sketchy at best...

and source?? (I'm not trying to sound ungrateful at all, because I'm not. I just think that it is really important for there to be a source release along with this, since it is eventually (hopefully) going to be integrated into AT LEAST VDMSound and also there may be others that would work on it.)

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 16 of 94, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It is up to SaPu to release the source or to allow me to release it or put it in CVS on his behalf. I doubt that it will happen anytime soon since, as SaPu pointed out, there may be some "issues" of a less technical nature. As the code develops, however, those issues may become less important. Once again, it is entriely up to SaPu; SAPUCDEX 1.0.0.1 and 1.0.0.2 have not been released under GPL so there is no obligation.

And yes, 1.0.0.2 only contains the logging fix, but this fix is needed in order to produce accurate debug information.

Cheers,
V.

Reply 19 of 94, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

People have to try the problematic games out and report back here waht went wrong and attach the zipped log file, otherwise SaPu has nothing to change for 1.0.0.3. So people, start testing and submitting! For starters, I know TR1 had a CD problem that is now fixed by GliDos, but if someone can test TR's CD music with an old GliDos or without GliDos, please do so, since that bugfix (as well as others that you guys could find) may fix other games as well.

V.