VOGONS

First post, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I made some improvements to the navigation of the Compatibility Database. Definitely more browsable now. 😀 http://vdmsound.sourceforge.net/compat/

V.

Reply 2 of 19, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The search can be arranged; what do you mean by "do reports" though?
V.

Stiletto wrote:

Great!
Now I want to search comments, and do reports. 😀

Reply 3 of 19, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

List all games that fail with VDMSound, list all games that work good with DOSBox, etc. etc. with ad nauseum combinations.

A report. I'm thinking about M$ Access when I use that phrase.

But I do so love the improved navigation! THANKS! 😁

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 4 of 19, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Another thing needed is clarification. The database is obviously designed for DOS titles but I'm seeing entries for Windows titles, which doesn't seem to have a purpose.

Windows titles, other than an occasional patch are "go" or "no-go", they're not like DOS titles that might need SAPUCDEX or "low-level CD access and usually don't have sound configuration (other than off/on/volume). Those would probably be better served in a different database (actually all it should need it a 4-field database: name, version, works?, and comment).

Should also mention that people should only check the boxes that apply to the type of emulation involved, IE:

Don't check the "mouse" button for VDMSound testing.
Don't check the "MIDI" button for DosBox testing.

And like I said earlier, DOS titles tested on native Win9x (IE: not using DosBox or VDMSound) are pretty much irrelevant as they were made for DOS.

Reply 5 of 19, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

Windows titles, other than an occasional patch are "go" or "no-go", they're not like DOS titles that might need SAPUCDEX or "low-level CD access and usually don't have sound configuration (other than off/on/volume). Those would probably be better served in a different database (actually all it should need it a 4-field database: name, version, works?, and comment).

[/B]

People should be directed to use NTCompatible for Windows titles, IMHO. Unless people here feel NTCompatible is kinda... flaky... and would rather use something else... The Compat DB should also not be used when the Win9x version of VDMSound is released.

And like I said earlier, DOS titles tested on native Win9x (IE: not using DosBox or VDMSound) are pretty much irrelevant as they were made for DOS.

People have done compatibility testing of DOS games on Win9x (not WinNT) and submitted reports? Who the hell was that? Now, if it were native Windows 2000/XP, that's alright...

Stiletto

Reply 6 of 19, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Stiletto People should be directed to use NTCompatible for Windows titles, IMHO. Unless people here feel NTCompatible is kinda... flaky...

I feel that their database is "adequate", but people put little-to-no effort in their entries and nobody there seems to be trying enforce a standard. Good info there, and a lot of useless info too.

People have done compatibility testing of DOS games on Win9x (not WinNT) and submitted reports? Who the hell was that?

Well I can't find the DOS/Win titles tested on Win9x, but there are other "odd" entries as well (No names, please):

Igor: Objective Uikokahonia
Seems to be claiming a non-working mouse when used with VDMSound. Since VDMSound doesn't emulate a mouse, why is it checked?

X-wing 95 from the Collector series
CD-ROM/DVD distribution
Native support
Windows XP SP1
Tested under Windows XP SP1 using Native support
Compatibility checklist:
PC Speaker: Not supported by application
SoundBlaster: Not tested
FM / AdLib: Not tested
MPU401 / MIDI: Not tested

Looks like he tested everything but just forgot the click the proper buttons.

Grim Fandango v.1.01
CD-ROM/DVD distribution
Native support
Windows XP SP1
Tested under Windows XP SP1 using Native support
Compatibility checklist:
PC Speaker: Not supported by application
SoundBlaster: Not supported by application
FM / AdLib: Not supported by application
MPU401 / MIDI: Not supported by application

This is kind of what I'm talking about Windows titles not "fitting" (all the buttons are based on DOS).

I have a few to fix myself. My main concern is that it does NOT become like "NT-Compatible" with lots of useless entries.

Reply 7 of 19, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Fisu's a regular here. If he doesn't see this message, send him a private message.

Stiletto

Reply 8 of 19, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oops. Didn't mean to leave the name in there. Actually, I think what we might need is a separate Windows database (for now, NT Compatible should suffice as there's not as many specs for a Windows game). Hrrmm. Need to check with Vlad on this.

Reply 9 of 19, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

While Vlad or Colin is in there adding the ability to run reports, I'd also like:
http://vdmsound.sourceforge.net/compat/list.p … pdated&sortasc=

Add the ability to change the number of games displayed, like Colin's DB. (Intervals of 10? 20? something)

Stiletto

Reply 10 of 19, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Random thought - can we limit the Mobygames game name validation to DOS games only? ... Can/Should we force validation? What if a game's not listed in Mobygames? ... How to tell when a game has both a DOS and a Windows version, which a entry is referring to?

Stiletto

Reply 11 of 19, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In regards to the validation issues - just a reminder that I'd like this in the OpenGlide list at some point. 😀

Stiletto

Reply 12 of 19, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh, and Vlad: check MobyGames, see if the basic games list needs updating. It's been a few months. 😀

Stiletto

Reply 15 of 19, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

List any suggestions that you may have for NTCompatible and I'll suggest 'em to Phillip....or better yet post it in the Feedback forum of NTCompatible. Phillip is always up for improvements. I've submitted tons but I'm just one person. 😉

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 16 of 19, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stiletto wrote:

While Vlad or Colin is in there adding the ability to run reports, I'd also like:
http://vdmsound.sourceforge.net/compat/list.p … pdated&sortasc=

Add the ability to change the number of games displayed, like Colin's DB. (Intervals of 10? 20? something)

Yeah, you can do it "manually", e.g. by specifying the "n=" parameter in the URL. I can add that fn. if you want.

Reply 17 of 19, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In VDMSCompatDB validation is "soft" (it just suggests that you search for the name, this way you don't end up with the same game being listed under a million different names, and you get all reports under the same game name heading).
V.

Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

I don't even see the need for a MobyGames connection. If I'm submitting a report, I'm already going to know the game's name.

Reply 18 of 19, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vladr wrote:

Yeah, you can do it "manually", e.g. by specifying the "n=" parameter in the URL. I can add that fn. if you want.

D'OH! Missed that. Well, it would be nice to have in the UI.

Stiletto

Reply 19 of 19, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vladr wrote:

In VDMSCompatDB validation is "soft" (it just suggests that you search for the name, this way you don't end up with the same game being listed under a million different names, and you get all reports under the same game name heading).
V.

Or German users putting in a bug report with the German version of the game... or French users with a French version, etc. etc. Not to mention any number of typos. That's why I'm thinking about whether or not it would be better to make validation "hard", as people still can avoid the "soft" validation.

Stiletto