VOGONS

First post, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've just tried v. 1.39 with VDos32 0.7 on Windows Vista :
it works, but when I try to remap the Look key (NumPad 0) like I used to do with e.g. v. 1.34 on WinXP, it freezes.

When I go to user keys, then arrow down to "Look", then hit enter to select Look/NumPad 0, not only it hangs, but I had to reboot to get over the block.
An issue with 1.39, or with Vista maybe ?

Reply 1 of 2, by laracroft.netraider

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!

I'm playing TR1 with Glidos 1_40 and VDOS32 0_8 under Windows Vista.

I have the same problem, except it's not just the Look key but all keys that cause TR1 to hang when trying to remap them: upon pressing Enter after selecting the key I want to change in the User Defined section, the little selection box moves to the corresponding keyboard key and the game freezes. The only way out short of re-booting is to use ctrl+esc and right-click on Glidos on the taskbar and Close it.

So I thought, Never mind, I'll use the Default Keys instead. Unfortunately, when using the Default Keys (basically arrows and ctrl-alt-shift), alt gr seems to function both as action and jump key: when I press it (without pressing ctrl) Lara will jump and shoot at the same time if her weapon is drawn out, climb out of the water if she's swimming near the ledge, pull a lever underwater upon swimming to it*.
Of course I could use the left ctrl/alt/shift keys, but I find the right hand ones more handy (plus I've really got used to them as these are the ones I used in TR 1-6 and I would have great difficulties adapting -and Lara, many accidents!).

Is that a Glidos-related problem, by any chance? (I seem to recall having had no difficulties at all remapping the User Keys when playing TR1 without Glidos -a while ago, yes...)

* Re underwater levers: I've started re-playing TR1 from scratch with Glidos and have systematically had great difficulties pulling underwater levers (City of Vilcabamba, St Francis's Folly). Again, I don't recall that happening from TR1 without Glidos, but it just occurred to me that it might just be related to the alt gr double function problem. Indeed, might alt gr and ctrl then not cancel each other's action effect? (That would explain the sudden difficulties -and deaths- I've experienced grabbing ledges, pulling underwater levers etc.)

--
"I'm not interrupting, am I?" -Lara Croft, Tomb Raider - Adventures of Lara Croft

Reply 2 of 2, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Doubtful that its anything to do with Glidos (possible but doubtful). Could easily be a problem with VDos32. The interpreting of key codes isn't trivial.
I'll see what I can find out.