VOGONS

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

Has anybody experienced the above?

The game starts running very smooth, then after 10 mins or so the performance slows to a crawl. It smacks of some sort of memory 'bleed' somewhere.

My system/specs: Athlon 700, 384 MB ram, GF4 MX440 64 MB
Win98. I have tried Dets 29.42, 41.09 and 42.30. with the same prob on each. I have tried the latest Glide2x.dll file.

AA and AF are turned off, have tried full/windowed mode, different resolutions, all of this to no avail.

Sometimes reloading a save game will 'reset' the performance, but more often than not I have to exit the game and restart it from the desktop. This sorts the problem for another 10 mins or so. It gets frustrating after a while. Only cos it tempts me back with the great graphics (for TR anyway).

Anyone have any suggestions?

Tony.

Reply 1 of 16, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Weird! Never heard of anything like that. Do you have anything unusual running in the background? Mother board monitor, say?

Reply 2 of 16, by Unregistered

User metadata

I've tried closing down all tsr's before running Glidos (only Systray and Explorer left running) all to no avail.

I agree it *is* weird.

I'm all out of things to try I think.

Tony.

Reply 3 of 16, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Windows slows down the clock for DOS windows running in the background, but I can't see why you would see this problem and no one else.

Reply 4 of 16, by Unregistered

User metadata

To try and explain what actually happens more descriptively:

The game will start off running very smooth, then after 10-15 minutes, the game starts 'stuttering'. The transition is almost instantaneous. I have tried to pin down if there is something that I do in game that triggers it, but it seems erratic. If I end the game and go back to the desktop, and restart it, the game will be fine for another 10 mins or so.

The first time it happened, I remember jumping into a new area and thought that jumping was the problem, but then it happened while I wasn't jumping later, and then I thought that caching a new area into the memory is what causes it, but like I said I cannot pinpoint it with any accuracy.

I do find it strange that nobody else has experienced it, or at least not mentioned it here.

BTW I will try it on my other PC, and let you know whether I get it on there as well, thanks for the attempt at helping.

Also I presume that the unlock code(s) only work on the machine you quote the GlidosID for? If so, bummer. I should have played the game for longer than 10 mins the first time *sigh* I checked the saving and loading and they worked beautifully. Oh well, such is life.

Tony.

Reply 5 of 16, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Send new unlock request. 😀

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 6 of 16, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, no problem getting an unlock for a second machine or OS. Obviously people could abuse this, but they don't tend to.

Reply 7 of 16, by Tonedude

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you, I will send a new unlock request...

I have not yet had a chance to try it on my other machine yet, but will let you know soon how I get on....(am working nightshifts this week)

Thanks again.

Tony.

Reply 8 of 16, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just a foolish guess: is your screensaver activated?

Reply 9 of 16, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hey, that's an idea. Ten minutes - hmmm you never know.

Reply 10 of 16, by Tonedude

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

IRT Kaminari,

Hey! That's a damn good suggestion, not foolish at all, they might be enabled..I'll have to check. Why oh why I didn't think of this meself is completely beyond me *slaps forehead*

I'm quite technically minded, and I have tried just about everything else, considerably more complex than this. I'll howl with frustration (and delight) if this is what solves the problem.

Let's not get carried away though...I'll check soon. These nightshifts (12 hours) are killing me.

Tony.

Last edited by Tonedude on 2003-03-14, 04:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 16, by Tonedude

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks Kaminari, good call. Yep it was the screensaver that was causing the problem. And there's me looking at all the technical possibilities first 😜

Thanks again all, I can now enjoy TR to its fullest.

Tony.

Reply 12 of 16, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

heh, wow. Impressive.
*cough*
heh
Screensavers are pretty much useless nowadays. There's pretty much no risk of burn-in on any monitor, and they're just there for the prettiness. I recommend saving energy and just shutting off your monitor.. I'm not sure how/why your screensaver would turn on if you were inputting shit though...

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 13 of 16, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sometimes the most evident solution isn't the one we think about first... Happens to me all the time 😁

The problem with screensavers under Windows is that they only check for keyboard and mouse inputs - not for gaming devices (digital or analog). It's pretty silly but it has been like that since the early days of Windows. I often have to remember disabling my United Devices screensaver before playing for an extended period of time at any game requiring a gamepad (say, TR).

Reply 14 of 16, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ah, you're using a GAMEPAD. Well that's silly, since games like this were made for keyboard and mouse... but hey, whatever floats your boat.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 15 of 16, by Tonedude

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I first played TR to death for months (1996) on the Sega Saturn, and loved it, so it wouldn't 'feel' like TR if I didn't play it on a gamepad! 😀

Ahh sweet memories..I'm nearly on Palace Midas level...(1024x768x32) Those graphics are sw-eet.

Tony.

Reply 16 of 16, by rennervision

User metadata

I know this topic is old, but I just had to comment. The original posters may never read this, but for what it's worth I am very thankful I found this thread. I was having the EXACT same problem with Tomb Raider's frame rate dropping to as low as 15 FPS after playing for about 10 minutes.

At first I thought my video card was overheating, but I eliminated that possibility since it has no problems playing any of my other games at the highest resolution. Then I thought there was a problem with my RAM, since the game works fine once you restart it or reload it from a previously saved point. Then I read this thread and saw the suggestion of turning off your screensaver. I instantly slapped my head because as simple as it was, it made perfect sense. Sure enough - everything's running fine now!