VOGONS

First post, by crash.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Greetings,

I'm trying to install on a Windows98se system with a Voodoo5. It is an Athlon 2100+ with 512mb of ram, an Aureal Vortex2 sound card, and a Leadtek 7350KDA motherboard.

Glidos and Carmageddon work much better here and much faster that on my XP system, although now there are green vertical lines covering all of the bitmapped screen items such as title screens, menus, and dashboard features.

Can anyone suggest what this could be caused by? I've adjusted a number of the settings on the Voodo5 control panel OpenGL settings, with no effect so far.

The fact that the lines do not appear on the 3D objects in the game, but only on the overlayed bitmapped items seems to be significant.

Reply 1 of 7, by crash.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here's what I mean...

I tried running a version of GLsetup that I could find on the Internet, but it informed me that it was outdated and might not work. When it finished there seemed to be no change.

Reply 3 of 7, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You can also try MesaFX, an Opengl 1.2 compliant driver for Voodoo5.

http://www.falconfly.de/mesafx.htm

It supports some advanced features as Radeon R3x0's "Temporal Antialiasing"

Reply 4 of 7, by crash.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hmmm... Well Mesafx does not seem to have Glide2x.dll so I don't think that this will help in this case. I will have a look though, and compare it to WickedGL which I already own.

I'm honestly much happier with the Voodoo5 6000's super-sampling FSAA than I could be with the ATI "edge only" multi-sampling AA method. I have both, and prefer the Voodoo5.

Cheers!

Reply 5 of 7, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The other thing you can do, only with a Voodoo card, is to delete (or rename) Glide2x.dll, and then the Glidos app will use the glide drivers for the card itself (provided they are installed); this avoids OpenGL altogether.

Reply 6 of 7, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
crash. wrote:

Hmmm... Well Mesafx does not seem to have Glide2x.dll so I don't think that this will help in this case. I will have a look though, and compare it to WickedGL which I already own.

MesaFX DOES have its own Glide dll (but glide3x instead of glide2x). The point is that, with Glidos and Voodoo5, you would be using Paul's Glide2x.dll to wrap Glide calls into OpenGL driver (MesaFX in this case), and MesaFX uses Glide3x.dll rasterizer to render graphics (What a mess!). WickedGL and 3dfx's ICD will do exactly the same, so bypassing OpenGL, as Paul said, could be a nice idea. It worked on me with Tomb Raider and Voodoo2, you can read the post here: TR + Glidos + 3dfx glide2x.dll won't work

crash. wrote:

I'm honestly much happier with the Voodoo5 6000's super-sampling FSAA than I could be with the ATI "edge only" multi-sampling AA method. I have both, and prefer the Voodoo5.

Yep, supersampling gives smoother texture antialiasing than multisampling, but temporal antialiasing has nothing to do with multisampling, nor with supersampling. According to the technical implementation of the method, it is more of a motion blur effect that gives the illusion of antialiasing than a pure AA effect. And you can use both Voodoo5's supersampling FSAA and MesaFX's temporal AA simultaneously, but that's another story. I mentioned it just as an example of MesaFX's additional, state-of-the-art features.