VOGONS

TRx Texture Feedback

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 193, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Please offer constructive criticism. "I don't like" is not constructive. Tell me why you don't like it, what's wrong, and I will review your suggestions. Thanks!

Reply 41 of 193, by Markus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I don't like the face either - it's nice, but not Lara.
Here eyes should be tilted a little bit and the mouth shouldn't be smiling, the eyebrows should be set a little bit higher.

In face1.jpg you can see, what I mean; I took your picture and overlayed it with the relevant characteristics from the original image.
Face2.jpg is something what it could look like.

Reply 42 of 193, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just remember the famous expression "you can't plase everyone all of the time".

Reply 43 of 193, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I see what you mean, but the reason I changed it is exactly what you've pointed out: Lara's mouth in the original game looks like she's been hit in the face with a halibut; I wanted something a little more demure. Having the eyes tilted does look better though, I'll see what I can do there.

Reply 44 of 193, by MDF

User metadata

Ay, the good, old Halibut. You can't beat 'em!!

The working being done by Gambit37 is splendid! Thankyou!

However may I add a note of sobriety? Concentrate on her bottom... That's all I get to see most of the time! Trying to turn her, or get her backed into a corner just so I can examine the line of her jaw, doesn't happen very often. I'd be happy for the fizzog as per Last Revelation.

The leap made from standard non-accelerated graphics to the present state of loveliness, is a joy to behold. Keep up the good work guys!
😁

Reply 45 of 193, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I made another variation of the eyes -- needs a bit of tidying up, but feedback on the overall expression would be useful:

face_compare_2.jpg

Reply 46 of 193, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I like both. Probably go for "Newest" if I was forced to choose.

Reply 47 of 193, by SYS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

...a voice from the darkness.....

I also like all (including the original, 🤣), but I definitely vote for the Newest - that meets with my earlier thoughts... 😀 Nice work, Gambit!

SYS "Still alive Ms Croft. You are resilient."

Reply 48 of 193, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Newest is good 😎

Reply 49 of 193, by Guest

User metadata

I like Markus' face 2 above all. It captures an iciness that sometimes underlies Lara's personality, while remaining beautiful and feminine. There is nothing that stands out as "disturbing" or "off". Wish I had made that myself. : P

As for which picture stays truest to the original TR1 Lara, it would be the one entitled "Newest". The in-game TR1 Lara bore a stern expression, almost like a (stereotypical) school-marm; and it isn't very pleasing to the eye. "Newest" captures that same sterness, while (thankfully) incorporating a bit more softness in her countenance.

Also, the dimensions and angles of her features in "Newest" are very much like the original: (e.g., the slant and size of the eyes is virtually identical to the original, only more realistic and fringed with "real" lashes).

Reply 50 of 193, by Lux_Veritatis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry, I posted above; thought I was logged in.

Reply 51 of 193, by Wanderfalke

User metadata

i like the middel one! looks more like a real face then the third with this odd eyes

Reply 52 of 193, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just goes to show you can't keep everyone happy! The middle one was my preferred. I did 'Newest' to see how a more cartoon face would look, in keeping with the original.

Not sure which one I'll use yet, might offer both.

Reply 53 of 193, by Guest

User metadata

Newbee Question: Will there be an Update (Main Page, Textures) soon?

Reply 54 of 193, by Senuf@MatchStix.ca

User metadata

Hi.

Nice work on Lara's face. You're right about the spacing on the eyes. Facial reconstructions use a reference for both horizontal and vertical spacing of facial features: horizontally, the face should be divided into 5 equal parts across the widest part of the face. Ideally, each of the 5 parts should be equivalent to the width of one eye; the space between the eyes should also be one eye-width (the width of the nostrils is the same), and obviously the last two parts measure from the outside corner of the eye to the outermost part of the face. Vertically, the face is divided into three equal parts: from hairline to bottom of the innermost curve of the eyebrow is one; from there to the bottom of the nose (vertically, don't slant to reach the nose, just drop straight down), is the 2nd third, and from the bottom of the nose to the bottom of the chin is the 3rd part. The ratio between the two: the width of the face should be equal to 2/3s the height. Note this is for the "visible" part of the face e.g. if you're bald, you still measure from the natural hairline. By the way; the only thing I'm not fond of on Lara's face (the original, too!), is the ultra-arched eyebrows. It makes her look like someone's pulling her hair back with way too much force - and thus makes her way-too-open eyes look artificial beyond any natural or cartoon-acceptable imagery. But that's just my opinion, and, admittedly, I am also not a proponent of the excessively large chest. It may supply ballast for the endless backpack, but I've always thought it made her look deformed. Don't suppose you could give her natural curves instead of painful ones? Thanks for the work. I'll look forward to further updates. Cheers. S

Reply 55 of 193, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm aware of facial construction, but it doesn't apply in this case: the proportions of the actual polygons used to draw Lara's face is deformed and is virtually impossible to fit into the traditional facial model. That's why it's been hard to get it looking correct, and why -- when I did so -- everyone complained that it didn't look like the Lara they knew and loved, even though the original is deformed!

Anyway, face aside, boobs have been worked on and are not right yet, mainly due to the same low polygon count on the original model. Very hard to get them looking right from many angles... this whole thing will be a compromise.

Hope that makes sense to those of you looking for perfection in this project -- you can't have it!

Reply 56 of 193, by Guest

User metadata

If i Remember correctly, laras Boobs is part1 are only a Triangle or Pyramid shape thing!
I understand that it is nearly impossible to make them look right and my advise is: Sometimes LESS is MORE!

Don´t waste time on make somthing look Perfekt when the Polycont dosent fit 😉

Again, thanks for your Work

Wanderfalke

Reply 57 of 193, by Guest

User metadata

I don't particually like "Newest" simply because the eyes are way too heavy and dont match Lara. However, the lips in the Newest are rather nice as the rounded off feel makes it look better. I think if you slant the eyes like Markus did..maybe make them a bit smaller/more narrowed and use the the 'newest' lips it'll be perfect. Core's texturing on Lara in the first game was never really the greatest and I do agree that looking back she seemed kind of deformed (the halibut lips).

I just feel that right now, with the large eyes she looks a little unnatural. You've done great work to make her look more smooth and realistic than Core ever has, so if the eyes are smaller, slanted and possibly more narrowed I believe it'd look great.

The eyeshadow thing was a good idea, but it should be light like in AOD. It was enough to make her look 'darker' yet at the same time it was a tiny amount.

Good luck, Hopefully you'll take my suggestions and the model will look great.

Reply 58 of 193, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous wrote:

it should be light like in AOD

Yuck! (/me throws up)

Reply 59 of 193, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Er, the lips in Newest are the same as Previous, and the eyes *are* slanted! Anyway, I have no time (again!) to work on TRX for the forseeable future, so when I do the work will be on other things besides Lara as she's pretty much complete to my satisfaction.

Screenshots of her at some point, not for a while though!