VOGONS

First post, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A load of Nathan McCree's music got left out of the PC port of Tomb Raider, and worse the Sold Out Software version left out the ambient sounds. I've just released version 1.29 of Glidos, which can recognise scenes and trigger audio tracks when they appear. There's also an audio pack that has the triggers and tracks for the first three levels, and the ambient sounds for all levels.

Reply 1 of 20, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

(T_T)

Gonna have to test this right now 😁

Reply 2 of 20, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Put simply, this is expialidocious. I had almost forgotten about the great soundtrack of the PSX version. Now we get the best of both worlds. Fantastic stuff! Kudos to you and Vince for the tremendous amount of work put into this feature. The 32-bit support works great. Oh, and thank you for making possible to disable the built-in Redbook emu 😀

A couple of things:

1. Wouldn't Vorbis be a better alternative to MP3? I'm thinking about license issues and all. Not mentioning the fact that you can get smaller files (at setting 4, about 128 Kbps) with no quality loss. That means a lighter audio pack.

2. The music files don't stop during a video cutscene (example, when you start a new game).

3. When you switch any option to No in the config file and then run Glidos, the option line itself is deleted by Glidos when you quit the program. This is an old behaviour which is a bit annoying when you need to regularly switch, say, TextureOverride from Yes to No and vice-versa.

Keep up the good work!

Reply 3 of 20, by slube

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Vince here - thanks for the kind words, and though I've done it in email, I thank Paul publicly for making it work even better than I had envisioned. This way, we don't need to make Hybrid music cd's, which would be somewhat cumbersome.

I've tried it out myself, and it's great to hear this fantastic music with the enhanced graphics.

Reply 4 of 20, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No, thank you Vince. Such a great help to have all the positions tabulated.

Reply 5 of 20, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi Kaminari,
Hadn't thought of vorbis. I'm just using Direct Show, so anything for which there is a direct show filter should work. For vorbis, users would have to download the filter. I think any copyright problems are with Core/Eidos rather than to do with format.

That running on through the cutscenes, I just noticed after releasing it. I'll need to have a fiddle with that.

The disappearing config lines in glidos.ini are a real pain in the neck. The only easy way to do it, would make every config option appear with one or other value on every game... actually I might have just figured a neat way to do it without much code change.

Reply 6 of 20, by Guest

User metadata

Yeeeeeeha!!!! That's really good news!

Just one question: I've got both PC and PCX CD-ROMs, what setup do I need in order to trigger PCX version's soundtrack while playing with PC version and Glidos? "Audio packs" section in Docs says nothing about it.

Reply 7 of 20, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, that's the point. You play at the PC version with the combined soundtracks of the PC and PSX versions, which are contained in the audio pack. All you need is the original PC CD and the audio pack.

Reply 8 of 20, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm.... doesn't work for me. I get the new incidental stuff, but none of the original themes or ambient tracks play. I'm using it in conjunction with BIN/CUE of the original PC CD which contains the original ambient tracks (NOT the sold out version). If I rename the Audio folder to something else, I don't get anything at all. (I would expect to get the original CD audio)

Going back to v1.28, the CD audio tracks on my BIN/CUE image play fine. So presumably you've disabled the CD audio completely in this new version? That seems like a retrograde step to me.

Even if you have disabled the CD-Audio support, I would have expected to get the new MP3 versions of the main menu theme and the background ambient music, but I get nothing at all.

Can we get the best of both worlds, ie use the CD-Audio if it's available, and only downlod the missing extra stuff?

Reply 9 of 20, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Change Mp3BackgroundSounds to No in Glidos.ini and it should pick them up from the CD like it used to. I expect the problem is in the differences between the released TR versions. There are about three different ways the textures are grouped. Although its strange for it to fail on all levels. How many levels have you tried?

Reply 10 of 20, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Doh. Silly me. I copied my TR settings from v1.28 to v1.29 before checking if there were any new values! I always do that to carry over my texture capture settings....

I can hear all the sounds now.

If you have both RedBook and MP3 set to yes, which takes precedence?

Reply 11 of 20, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ah! You didn't have Mp3BackgroundSounds set. Good so it does work.

Mp3 takes precedence provided the Audio folder exists.

The Mp3BackgroundSound setting controls only the ambient
sounds, not the new effects. The setting is there so that you
can turn it off for W98: Glidos doesn't control redbook under
W98.

The redbook setting is for those who want to use SAPUCDEX thingy.

Reply 12 of 20, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Kaminari, I've cured the dissappearing-default-settings problem, but it'll be a little while before I expect to release a new version.

Reply 13 of 20, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, it's me again, the guest guy who asked about PSX CD-ROM.

Well, I guess Glidos doesn't support original PSX version, just ripped audio packs. That's a pity because it forces me to download a soundtrack that I already own.

Paul, could you publish the specs of the audio packs that Glidos 1.29 is expecting to find in the audio folder? I mean, the steps we need to follow if we want to rip our own audio packs from PSX CD-ROM and use them with Glidos.

Reply 14 of 20, by SYS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

...a voice from the darkness.....

Paul, this new step is excellent. GliDOS is not "just a glide wrapper", and it's more true from this time. I tried this newest feature, and it works great! I myself never heard the PSX-soundtrack earlier, although I knew it has more audios. The musics simply rock... 😎

However, I also have a problem. This problem exists with both TR1+Gold, and it's an annoying thing. The game is running fine for about 10 seconds, and then it stops for a half second (the framerate lowers to about 25-26 FPS from 30 FPS), and then it's good again for about 10 seconds, and then it stops again, and so on... It's still playable, but these slowdowns are really annoying, and make harder to controlling Lara. It seems like when something disturbes it from the background. But it was okay with GliDOS 1.28, and before I updated my videocard and soundcard drivers. I use only PowerStrip what never disturbes it. I have tips though: I installed the latest Catalyst 4.8 driver (ATI Radeon 9000 Pro 64 MB card) and a newer driver for my Audigy1-soundcard - perhaps they cause the problem? Or I should try to change the ControlJudderFix? I have these tips right now, but if possible, I don't want to downgrade my drivers. So, if You have any advices, then just drop me with them, please... 😀 Thank You!

SYS "Still alive Ms Croft. You are resilient."

Reply 15 of 20, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No problem, Paul. That's good news 😀

Reply 16 of 20, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Two things about audio packs:

1) Can you make a smaller one that ONLY includes what's necessary to get the EXTRA stuff from the PSX -- I don't need to download a massive file with all the themes and ambient stuff because I have it on the CD already. Connected to this, is the Main Menu Theme also considered a background sound, ie, if I set Mp3BackgroundSounds to no, does the theme play? How does this work in connection with the CD Audio? Basically I'm confused: I want to play the new MP3 sounds that have come from the PSX but play all the existing stuff from the CD -- how best to set this up?

2) Can you clarify how triggers work as I'm getting some odd behaviour. For example, I have a save game of the caves, after I've already killed the second two wolves in the big vine room and heard their 'theme'. Loading the save game, if I run to the wall near the switch and climb up onto that platform and then look straight down at the plant, the wolf theme starts! Weird...

Reply 17 of 20, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

1) Someone else asked for that. I think its more hassle than its worth. You have to rip both CDs, and then carefully rename each track. You're likely to have one or two ending up with typos in the name, and hence have missing sounds. It will definitely be quicker to download the whole thing.

Can't imagine why you would want the new sounds from MP3 and the background from the CD, unless you are using Windows 98 (the CD support stalls the game for 1/2 a sec every couple of minutes; you lose that witht he MP3s). You can turn it off by setting Mp3BackgroundSounds to No, in which case the CD support is activated. On Win98 the CD sounds work without Glidos, so you end up with CD and MP3; that's why I put the mp3BackgorundSounds settin in.

2) Again Glidos cannot see what level TR1 is in, or where within a level. The triggers work by recognising combinations of certain textures being used at certain sizes and places on the screen, triggering on the first occasion of a match. It is extremely difficult to find a way to distinguish the one case where the sound should play. There will I'm sure be lots of cases of spurious triggering, although it should be possible to refine the definitions of the triggers to reduce this.

Reply 18 of 20, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Glidos wrote:

On Win98 the CD sounds work without Glidos, so you end up with CD and MP3; that's why I put the mp3BackgorundSounds settin in.

Sorry that's not clear is it. On Windows 98, both the CD and mp3 play simultaneously, giving echos. You can't turn off the CD because TR1 controls it directly, so I put in the setting to allow mp3 to be turned off.

Reply 19 of 20, by Tyranix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

and worse the Sold Out Software version left out the ambient sounds. I've just released version 1.29 of Glidos, which can recognise scenes and trigger audio tracks when they appear. There's also an audio pack that has the triggers and tracks for the first three levels, and the ambient sounds for all levels.

I was amazed to find the sold out software version I purchased left out the background music, not sure what they were smoking but to leave that out destroys half the atmosphere! I was so glad when I found you had included that!

As for the PSX 'trigger' music, that was fantastic, are the full 'trigger' sounds all included in the current audio pack? Which still need to be coded? Or have they been left out for now until the trigger coding for all levels is complete? I'm really looking forward to having the full PSX and PC Sound!

Extremely cool, thanks to all that contribute to this.

😉