VOGONS

Freeze in TR1

Topic actions

First post, by McMurphy

User metadata

Im running TR1 on my W2k system and the game i running great but i have one problem..

When i hit the esc key or the F5 key the game freezes for 5 - 10 seconds before i can get to the inventory ring or the save box...

this is a bit anoying when you stand in front of a keyhole and press action or if you suddenly run out of energy and have to heal yourself i the middle of a battle....

i have nothing running in the background that would create this problem..

my specs are

p4 1.8 asus board with sis 646 chipset
Matrox parhelia 128
W2k sp4

Reply 1 of 11, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sorry I don't know. W2K certainly isn't a problem. The Matrox is a bit of an unknown.

Reply 2 of 11, by SYS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

...a voice from the darkness.....

Hmm, it's interesting: I have exactly the same problem with my ATI Radeon 9000 Pro card. But as far as I remember, I always had that (with different cards and settings), so I always thought it's normal... 🙄

SYS "Still alive Ms Croft. You are resilient."

Reply 3 of 11, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My X800 xt shows a bit more delay when pressing ESC than my old GF3ti500, although its no more than a second. I'm about to completly restructure the threading in Glidos. That might help.

Reply 4 of 11, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This seems to be because ATI's implementation of ReadPixels is really slow. If you add "DisableLfbReads: Yes" to the TR section of glidos.ini it speeds up, but you don't see the dimmed screem shot behind the ring menu.

Reply 5 of 11, by Guest

User metadata

Hey Paul..

That "DisableLfbReads: Yes" trick did it for me. Now the game is running smoothly on my machine with a Matrox Parhelia..

thanks for the great job you are doing helping us to be able to play one of the best games ever made the TR1!!!!!!

Reply 6 of 11, by SYS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Many thanks Paul! I tried it, and it worked. 😎 The blank screen is not a problem: if I want it back, I just simply change that option... And it's still very fast, anyway. By the way, is there a list somewhere about the possible options what You can set in Glidos.ini? Some of them may be useful sometimes...

And my problem also exists: the game lags in about every 10 seconds. It seems that it skips frames, but it stops for a millisecond in about every 10 seconds. It's very annoying, so if someone has tips, hit me with them please. Thanks! 😀

Reply 7 of 11, by artie150

User metadata

I agree with Sys that a list of available options should be made available so that those of us that can use them will know what they are for and what effects they produce.
For instance, I am running Glidos 1.29 and have two additions to my Glidos.ini file-
Mp3BackroundSounds: Yes
RedbookEmulation: Yes
I have no idea where these additions came from or what they do.
I also had an addition in earlier versions of "EnableMMX" and got no answer as to what if anything it does.
Thanks for doing such a great job Paul and keep up the good work.

Reply 8 of 11, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes I must explain the options. I'll try to get around to that soon.

The 10 second glitch: sounds like something running in the background - maybe a motherboard monitor (tempature fan speed, that sort of thing).

Reply 9 of 11, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In the meantime... 😀

1. Mp3BackgroundSounds: option to play optional MP3 tracks in TR instead of Redbook (CD) tracks.
2. RedbookEmulation: enables or disables the built-in CD support in Glidos (it's useful to disable it if you're using an MSCDEX driver replacement like SAPUCDEX).
3. EnableMMX: enables MMX instructions (CPU optimization). I believe this option is located in OpenGlide.ini, not Glidos.ini.

Reply 10 of 11, by SYS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Paul, I have no idea about what was the problem with the previous version, but I've just installed and tried version 1.30. And the result: TR1 runs smoother and faster than ever with no lags at all! Thank You! 😀

I also increased the texture memory size and the frame buffer size to the maximum in OpenGLid.ini, and I also set the wrapper priority to 3..but I don't know if this cured my previous annoying problem (since TR1 was smooth earlier), or the new version of GliDOS. Anyway I know, there wasn't anything running in the background what could disturb GliDOS (I had this problem earlier though, with the ATI TaskBar Utility, and that result was different). All in all, it's perfect again, and that's point... 😎 I haven't tested TR1Gold, but I'm sure it works nicely too...

Reply 11 of 11, by Guest

User metadata

Great! In v1.30, I've changed the way threading is used. This was in response to a problems with Descent II running on ATI cards (I have an ATI card now). I didn't realise the problem affected TR also.