VOGONS

First post, by crash.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Greetings,

I'm wondering what OpenGL32.dll is recommended for use with Glidos and a Voodoo5. I've tried several, most of which crash the computer horribly. The WickedGL version seems to work correctly except for transparency. None work 100% or allow exiting the game without a hideous crash.

I'm using the Amigamerlin drivers for my Voodoo5 and trying to play Carmageddon.

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 15, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's hard to tell because every third-party Voodoo driver seems to be abandoned sooner or later. The AmigaMerlin 3.1 drivers are the most popular right now, and 3dfxzone.it recommend using them with MesaFX to get proper OpenGL support on a Voodoo 5. I'm still shocked that it's possible to run Halo or even Doom 3 with satisfactory results on such a card (O_o

Reply 2 of 15, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Try MesaFX prerelease:

http://www.geocities.com/dborca/mesa/mesa.html

You can use the dll both as OpenGL32.dll (standalone driver) and 3dfxogl.dll (Installable client driver).

Reply 3 of 15, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Also worth a go with a voodoo card is to skip OpenGL altogether by installing the appropriate version of Glide2x.dll for the card. Sorry, no idea where you should get that from (although for Win 9X, the one that came on the driver CD should work.

You should be able to install the correct Glide2x.dll and then just delete the one in C:\Program Files\Glidos

Reply 5 of 15, by Guest

User metadata

> Also worth a go with a voodoo card is to skip OpenGL altogether by
> installing the appropriate version of Glide2x.dll for the card. Sorry, no idea

> You should be able to install the correct Glide2x.dll and then just delete the > one in C:\Program Files\Glidos

Hmmm... I have replaced the Glide2x.dll with the only one that would behave (one from an Openglide distribution. Still, when I run Carmageddon with Glidos, it requires Opengl32 as well. Originally, the Opengl32 that was installed would cause horrendous crashing, but I replaced this with one from Microsoft or one from a MesaFX distribution.

I was never able to get the Voodoo5 to run the Voodoo2 version of Carmageddon without Glidos.

I don't know how Glidos works, but it seems that Glide2x and Opengl32 are both required.

Reply 6 of 15, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No, that's completely the wrong idea. If you have a voodoo card then you can get a version of Glide2x.dll that drives the card directly. Other than that, its not worth trying. Any OpenGlide distribution is going to reinterpret Glide commands as OpenGl. If you want to go that way, then the one on the Red Baron page of the Glidos site is probably your best bet.

Reply 7 of 15, by crash.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Greetings,

So do you mean to say that I should be able to run hardware accelerated Carmageddon on the Voodoo5 without Glidos?

Thanks!

Reply 8 of 15, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What Paul means is that OpenGlide (note: that's not the same thing as Glidos) is required by graphic cards which don't have native Glide support, in which case OpenGlide translates the Glide calls into OpenGL calls. Owners of Voodoo cards should theorically be able to use Glidos with a native Glide2x library, like the official ones from 3dfx. No need for an extra OpenGL wrapper.

Reply 9 of 15, by crash.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay - now it would be great if I could find a Glide2x that drives the card directly, although I was not able to.

As per my previous thread:

Carmageddon + Glidos + Voodoo5 = Vertical lines

The only way that I was able to resolve my vertical lines issue was by using the Openglide Glide2x. If anyone can recommend or provide the correct version for use with a Voodoo5, I would be most grateful.

I'm using a Voodoo5 6000 with Windows 98se and the AmigaMerlin drivers.

I plan to try the Koolsmokey Glide2x when I get home.

Thanks!

Reply 10 of 15, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For Win98se, the glide drivers should be on the CD that came with the card.

Reply 11 of 15, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Amigamerlin 2.9 Win9x driver comes with Glide2x 2.61.00.0658, this is a suitable dll for Voodoo5, you should find it at \Windows\System\ folder.

The problem may be with the card itself, there are many unstable samples of Voodoo5 6000 out there. Does it also crash when playing other games? I mean, OpenGL or Direct3D games not involving Glide or Glidos.

Reply 12 of 15, by crash.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Fortunately, this Voodoo5 is very stable with other games. When it crashes in relation to Glidos, it is immediate and complete.

I have at least ten different Glide2x.dlls and another handful of OpenGl32.dlls that I have had to test one by one in order to find a combination that worked.

Now I'm being told that I'm putting the display commands through an extra layer of translation which I would be happy to undo.

I tried the Koolsmoky Glide2x although it created a new and catastrophic sort of crash (really wish I could supply screenshots of these masterpieces).

I'll try to verify that I've got the Amigamerlin file in the right place.

Cheers!

Reply 13 of 15, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As I said before, if you are using win98se, then the Glide2x.dll from the driver CD that came with the card has to be a good bet.

Reply 14 of 15, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Failing that, then go back to running it through OpenGL, in which case there are only two versions of Glide2x.dll worth trying, the one that comes with Glidos, and the one from the "Red Baron" page of the Glidos web site.
To test a version of Glide2x.dll, make sure you put it in the Glidos folder.

Reply 15 of 15, by crash.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Regarding the version of Glide2x.dll that came on the CD, since the Voodoo5 6000 was a prototype, it did not include a retail package or CD. I could try one from the Voodoo5 5500 though.

Thanks!