VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The textures & menus of Carmageddon & Descent II are both a little screwy-it's sorta like a rainbow, but only with alternating cyan & near-normal-colored-but-darker vertical stripes. It doesn't affect Carma textures-just the HUD-but it's EVERYWHERE on Descent II! Any way I can fix this?

Of course, it wouldn't be such a problem if I could get them to run on my legacy PC with its STB 12 MB Voodoo 2 under Win98SE...but nooooo. They simply refuse.

P.S.-For some reason, the GliDOS logo appears on the 1st level of Descent II. Maybe it's the fact that I had to get an alternate .EXE just to get some use out of this stupid S3 ViRGE-only copy I have.

Reply 2 of 2, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No more texture glitch-but now I get some strange lines dividing the screen into 6 segments. I also seem to get glitches in popup menus & the like.

By "alternate .EXE files", I tried D2X as well as an abandonware copy. Both worked, although the abandonware copy's Setup files wouldn't work & there were no videos. A copy of some files from the S3 version & then getting a cracked 3dfx .EXE nets me a nice-looking but slightly-iffy-running Descent II. I'd assume that stupid logo has something to do with it. I'd fork over $10 right now if it weren't for my lack of a credit card...

BTW, are you going to answer me on my "DOS Glide games don't seem to utilize my Voodoo 2" issue?

EDIT: I noticed more weird glitches in Carmageddon, not pertaining to the HUD though. I fixed it by using the old OpenGLid.ini.