VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ever since I started playing Descent with my first SpaceOrb a few weeks ago, I don't really want to go back. I'd play on my legacy PC with its V2 1000, but the D2_3dfx.exe either just sits there or crashes, depending on whether I use the FastVoodoo 4.6 or the 3dfx reference glide2x.ovl.

I know it's kind of hard, since the PC using GliDOS runs on WinXP. This means I have to use the HIDSporb drivers, which aren't compatible with DOS games or Windows games that rely on the Spacetec drivers.

Think you can get it to work? I'd really appreciate it.

Reply 2 of 5, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Heh, I just remembered after I posted this some time ago that GliDOS used VDMS...now should I have the topic moved, deleted or kept here for posterity?

Whatever the case, keep up the good work. After all, you seem to have made a DOS Glide wrapper that's MORE compatible than my genuine DOS Glide drivers!(Or my drivers just happen to suck-I don't know. I'd love to run DII under native Glide on my legacy PC...)

Reply 3 of 5, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I always like to hear from DII players. I've put more effort into Glidos for the sake of DII than any other game. Full of problems, DII. But it makes it worth the effort to know its being used.

Reply 5 of 5, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gambit37 wrote:

Slightly OT, but I'd like to play Descent again. I guess it's just a case of searching eBay for a copy right?

That's how I just received my Definitive Collection. For some reason, I got an extra Descent I disc with it.

I might as well sell it & that DII/Destruction Derby S3 ViRGE disc to make up for all the stuff I've bought on eBay(my SpaceOrb, a nice 4-game offer consisting of Descent 3 + the Mercenary expansion as well as Fallout 1 & 2, which I now would be beating the crap out of myself for not getting earlier had I not been so addicted to playing them, and of course the D1 & II Definitive Collection I just mentioned.).

EDIT: It turns out that the DII 3dfx patch works after all-I just forget to hit ESC. You see, my V2 1000 didn't come with a passthrough, so I usually expect sound or something else to indicate that the game has started.

Now to test Carmageddon...

EDIT 2: Carma's 3dfx .exe files don't work. Even worse, they cause the DII 3dfx .exe files to fail. I wonder why...