VOGONS

Common searches

Tomb of Qualopec / JC

Topic actions

First post, by JC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This texture pack removed. Latest version can be downloaded at http://www.tombraiderxtra.com

Attachments

• JC-Title.png
    Filename
    JC-Title.png
    File size
    133.96 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by JC on 2006-10-18, 18:18. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 44, by JC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This texture pack has been removed - latest version can be downloaded at http://www.tombraiderxtra.com

Last edited by JC on 2006-10-18, 18:28. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 2 of 44, by JC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This texture pack has been removed - latest version can be downloaded at http://www.tombraiderxtra.com

Last edited by JC on 2006-10-18, 18:28. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 4 of 44, by slube

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Very impressive. I liked the fact that you really changed it, and made it darker. The red dinosaurs are particularly nice.

I seem to be one of the few with a different version of the game, so at least one of the folders has a different name. You should copy the folder: E4331C64C8717CC3F4AC57A9EF293C78 and rename the copy to 8CA6BB5A1BE82664431D9F1933075712, then add that second name to the mapping folder. That will enable me to see the scion and the mummyjar.

Reply 5 of 44, by slube

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Incidentally, did you change the two mummies and the skeleton in the room where you get the first piece of the scion? I switched back and forth, but didn't see them change. I just want to be sure that's not another differently named folder in my version.

Reply 6 of 44, by JC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes Slube, the mummies have been reworked. I suspect you are missing a lot more as well - If you could run through the level in capture mode, then send me your captured folders with just the "complete.bmp" in each I will be able to make it fully compatible!

On another note, I had neglected to say that the mapping file assumes that Glidos has been installed in C:\Program Files. If it has been installed anywhere else then the mapping file will need to be edited to show Glidos the path to the JC folder.

Reply 7 of 44, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Aha, now that's interesting. I was wondering why you had deciced to take *all* the images out of the weird named folders and use mapping TXTs for every image. The compatibility with different versions is an excellent reason for this, so I think i'll do it the same way. It's nice, because we can included all the weird named folders for *every* version in a level pack without fear of messing each one up.

Are these textures any different from the preview you sent me?

Lastly, a bit OT, you seem happy determining coordinates from complete.bmp. I found this very laborious and error-prone, especially for letters that have extra empty space around them. Have you found a good method for doing this?

Reply 8 of 44, by JC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I sharpened a few to combat the blurry effect and I believe I have reworked one or two (including the title screen, which heads this thread). I added the mummyjar you sent me "as is" - but I left Lara's reflection on the compass.

Re: determining coordinates: I simply switch the photoshop grid and rulers on and show the navigator, which gives an instant XY coordinate read out. Knowing the dimensions and placement of the letters, paticularly "g", "y" and "j", makes disregading the empty space a doddle!

Reply 9 of 44, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK, so did you create mapping files for ALL the letters and punctuation in the levels you completed so far? If so, can I grab them from your packs and use them myself? 😉

Reply 10 of 44, by JC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes I have. I wll sort them out and send them to you later.

Of course, this wll not account for different versions of the game - if Slube is able to send me the complete.bmp's I will work on alternate mappings...I always did love a good jgsaw puzzle! Isn't it great that Tombraider is still able to deliver great gaming enjoyment even at this level!

Reply 11 of 44, by JC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok - I have attached what I have for the letters. This includes the title and the first 5 levels. There are 89 characters for Vilcabamba, Lost Valley and St. Francis' Folly; Qualopec has twice as many (accounting for the cut scene folders); for some mysterious reason, the Caves has 137 and the Title has just 79 because it doesn't use the "big" numbers.

There are some characters I haven't done - symbols for the sound controls, the exclamation mark, and some strange Greek (?) character resembling a capital B with a tail. If you have characters for the latter 2 in the same style Gambit, I will revise the pack to include them, although I am not sure they get used at all.

Attachments

• Filename
    TR Letters.zip
    File size
    412.5 KiB
    Downloads
    373 downloads
    File license

Reply 12 of 44, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh, I only meant I needed the mapping files, not the images themselves. I found that there were some problems with a couple of your PNGs as you've modified them from my originals.

What are the larger numbers used for? There shouldn't be any need for those surely? The letters I created are more than high enough resolution for any purpose, they don't need to be any bigger!

Reply 13 of 44, by JC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The "big" numbers are used to count down ammo used and for items in the inventory. I suppose these could be diverted to use the standard numbers as well, but I haven't tried this.

The PNGs are taken directly from your download pack (with the exception of the "big" numbers). I think an earlier pack that I sent to you used some rough and ready conversions, but I'm sure I have replaced all of these.

Reply 14 of 44, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh, right. I had intended drawing completely different numbers for the ammo. The gold lettering was purely meant as a replacement for all the other stuff. I simply haven't finished all this stuff yet...

You have changed the W and the 1 -- squished them slightly or made them wider. What was the reason for that? I was very careful to manully tweak letters that required it, so I don't think you should have needed to make variations.

What was the reason for renaming all the lettering? I preferred the lc/uc (upper case/lower case) naming rather than tacking numbers on the end.

Anyway, we're going off topic again! 😉

Reply 15 of 44, by JC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh yes- I did need to tweak those guys, but I don't remember why. As far as I'm aware you haven't released a letter pack with names yet - I just named them according to a whim I had at the time...

Reply 16 of 44, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK, my bad, i thought my title pack had named letters, but I see now it's an older version with coordinate filenames.

Would you mind terribly if I take charge of lettering? I'd like to rename all this stuff a bit more clearly. I'm happy to do the work and send you back an updated set of folders. It just seems a bit counterproductive that you've made some graphic changes without access to my source files.

Reply 17 of 44, by slube

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

send me your captured folders with just the "complete.bmp" in each I will be able to make it fully compatible!

Here you are. There are a few folders from the title, and maybe one from the very beginning of the next level, but I didn't want to delete them and risk deleting something important. They should be easy to spot.

Attachments

• Filename
    capture Qualopec.zip
    File size
    1.2 MiB
    Downloads
    366 downloads
    File license

Reply 18 of 44, by JC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Will be fine by me Gambit! However, I'm concerned that you might want to go further and rename other common items such as Lara, weapons, etc. and this would be one nasty old workload to take on!

Thanks Slube - this should keep me busy for a while!
Dang...you've done more than capture Qualopec - I may have trouble determining which level each folder belongs to...Oh well, there is nothing like a challenge!

Reply 19 of 44, by slube

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, I was afraid of that. I was trying to make sure I captured all the folders, so I began at the very end of Lost Valley, and then I think it went into Folly at the end. Also, I was playing in full screen mode, so I wasn't able to clear out the title sequence folders.
If it's too tricky to try to figure out which folders belong only to Qualopec, I could try again, starting from a savepoint early in Qualopec and then stopping the capture near the end of the Larson dialogue. Of course, there will be some bleed over between Lost Valley and Qualopec, just because some of the textures are used in both.
Let me know if you'd like me to try that.