VOGONS

Common searches

Tomb of Qualopec / JC

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 44, by JC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If it is any help Gambit, I just realised that I had duplicated one of the Vilcabamba letter folders in the Caves folder in the post above.

7564D67E6E017EB1EDDC14F9BCC27F26 should be deleted from the Caves, bringing the total characters down to the expected 89!

Reply 21 of 44, by JC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is keeping me entertained Slube! I think I'm sorting things out just fine - alongside Lost Valley and the Folly you appear to have posted all of Vilcabamba too! As I suspected, your texture pack experience is full of gaping holes, but I'm sure we can fix it!

Reply 22 of 44, by slube

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, that capture feature goes nuts sometimes. I'm glad you're finding all the holes, because I was only able to find one after hours of searching. I'm finding that sometimes I should just post the issue instead of trying to fix it myself, because there's usually a better way of doing it, and that way ends up getting done anyway, and my work is for naught.

This should come in handy. If you keep a record of all the different filenames for that level, you can share it with the other people doing textures, so it will be compatible from the start. I imagine I'll have to do this for the whole game, as texture packs come out.

Reply 23 of 44, by JC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You have four folders in Qualopec with different names and the texture maps are arranged differently. I am about to create alternative mappings, but it will take me a while to do this and post it.

Reply 24 of 44, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

We should definitely share the consolidated captured folders. This is something else I can host on my site when it's up and running. It'll be a good base for everyone else to work from in future, if more artists get in on the action.

A similar thing would be good for updated folders too, though as we've already proved this would become a nightmare to manage...

Reply 27 of 44, by Antonijadis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just see your work JC.I think this is great! 😀 The Scion and red-dino are particular good work. Compass with that reflection of Lara is also great, but you must to pile it a little better. Also what do you think that you add some "oldness" at some textures? I do that at "Folly" by the Gambit advice, and I gat much better result when I compare that work with old one. Anyway that is just proposal. By the way, how much of the sound stuff did you done?

Reply 28 of 44, by slube

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So...any comments on the paint job?

I thought I posted something, but it didn't go up. Basically, I really like the textures. I think you made it a lot darker, which suites it well. The detail in the carvings is great, and I like how you've been able to de-emphasze the seams.
I agree with Antonijadis that it all seems a little too new. The original textures were so low-res that they actually suggested age and wear, but yours are so detailed, they are crisp and clear - it looks like the place was just built. I think it would be helpful to throw some dirt and wear on it, to make it feel older. But still, great work.

Reply 29 of 44, by JC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Maybe I will go back in there with Doctor Dirt and Mrs. Grime at some stage then, but not just yet - I'm kind of burned out with this level for a while!

This was not one of my favourite levels so it was a bit of a challenge to rework it. I never did like the garish colours of the original- it seems far too jolly for a tomb! I kind of wanted to make it darker and more tomb-like but, although I do tend to stray off and reinterpret the textures quite a bit, I do get a guilty conscience about it. This may have held me back from fully developing the atmosphere I wanted to achieve. However, I am already well under way on my reworking of St. Francis Folly so I will be sure to sprinkle the dust of ages through there as I progress!

I've not gone any further with the audio triggers at the moment as the other guys seem to be progressing just fine with those. I might try my hand again if they falter in the task, but in the meantime I am also trying to sort out the alternative mapping puzzle and that is taking hours!

Oh yeah, the compass...that is tiled quite roughly! I didn't sort it out because I didn't decide if I wanted to keep it. The Gambit is of the opinion that it's a bit cheesy and perhaps he is right?

Reply 30 of 44, by Guest

User metadata

This was not one of my favourite levels so it was a bit of a challenge to rework it.

I agree, which is why I'm glad you tackled it. I imagine there will be more versions of it, but I'm sure more people are interested in doing colosseum or some of the other levels, but someone has to do this one! It's definitely good to see.

I'm not sure about the compass, as I've never given it a good look. I'll have to look again.

Reply 32 of 44, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think its good that we have a variation of styles. I'm really enjoying this level, although short of time to play at the moment. I reckon you could tweak for a lifetime. Better to break ground on new levels.

Certainly if we are going to have several people interpreting a single level, it would be a great shame for them all to look the same.

Reply 33 of 44, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I agree. As I pointed out in another thread, my motivation is to update the original pretty closely. It's good that others are keen to do something completely different.

For fun a while ago, I replaced all the textures in the caves with brightly coloured flat colours. It was amazing how much difference it made; was like playing in legoland!

Reply 34 of 44, by JC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here are the alternative mapping files for anyone running the Slube version of the game. (I am working from the "Sold Out Software" version - which version do you have Slube?).

The four alphanumeric folders need to be added to to the "_04_Qualopec" folder, and "mapping.txt" needs to be overwritten with the one included in the zip. I haven't been able to check my handiwork for errors of course, so you will need to report any errors that you come across.

Textures that were affected are:
The letters, Lara, the wolves, the dinosaurs, the mummies, Larson, Qualopec and the skeletons, Qualopec's throne, the golden statues, the Toltec statues, the mummy jar, the Scion, large and small medi-packs, shotgun, pistols, uzi clips, magnum clips, the sound controls and the compass. The Game Controller that I see is not there at all, and I couldn't find anything that resembles it. I'd be interested to see a screenshot of what you have replacing it

Attachments

• Filename
    Textures.zip
    File size
    121.56 KiB
    Downloads
    242 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 35 of 44, by slube

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

which version do you have Slube?

It's a full retail version (American, if that makes a differenece). I'm not sure when I got it. I don't know how to tell what version it is, but my tomb.exe says: Created Wednesday, November 06, 1996, 6:11:12 AM, and the size is 750 KB (768,563 bytes), if that means anything.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by game controller. You mean the four arrow keys where you can customize the controls? I tried to capture an image of that, but it didn't work.

It seems like your textures are all there now, though I think I was already getting the main gist of it.

Reply 36 of 44, by JC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I did see the four arrow keys so I can more or less imagine how they appear on screen. You were getting all of the main texture tiles, but as can be seen from my list there were lots of little details missing. The reason it took me so long to convert it is because it was mostly the fiddly little bits, but I spent a lot of time working on those in the first place and would not be happy about them being left out of the equation!

Reply 37 of 44, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The two main versions available are identified by the file dates on the exe/phd files, as Slube points out:

V1: 25/10/1996
V2: 06/11/1996

The 06/11/1996 version uses four arrow keys instead of the 'pong' controller. This change in mesh data and texture data significantly changes the captured textures as you've discovered.

I believe there is also at least one, possible 2 more versions of the game that would create further differences.

Paul, how does Glidos generate the texture folder names?

Reply 38 of 44, by L0ki

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!
I like the texture remakes very much! They`re greater than i expected.
But now i have a problem.
The self-extracting packs aren`t any problem, but with quallopec e.g. i create following path:
c:\programme\glidos\textures\JC\_04_Qualopec\(here are the number folders)

it doesn`t work... what`s the matter?
My Tomb DC is running with GliDOS 1.32
Can anybody help me?

greetz
Loki

Reply 39 of 44, by JC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi LOki - You could try downloading this self-installing pack which include Qualopec:

http://download.glidos.net/TR1/TexturePacks/JC/JC.exe

It is a 16mb download though! If you have a problem with this, or if it still doesn't work let me know and I'll try to figure out what's wrong.
(There are 4 folders in that download that might cause conflicts later, and which you should delete:
'JC/_05_St Francis_Folly /5D64DD6CF356637D951848EDD8777F38 / 5520E1D3AFB73ABD47BA480C59D5D735 / 677095CA9D84964106A8588218549276 / A202E3BAC8D60830028F9FF99B7894AE )