VOGONS

Tomb Raider Xtra as a community effort?

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 192, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cool. OK, well I just spent some time getting a PHP routine to build a table of folder contents (I love the sample code people post on php.net function reference!).

I still need to build the site and get it all working properly -- this'll probably take me a couple of weeks as I don't have much spare time at the moment. Once it's in a testable state, we'll set up the FTP accounts and I'll post directions on how to upload packs.

Reply 61 of 192, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The offer is still open to help write the php. I would just need example pages with hardcoded content, and I could generalise it.

Reply 62 of 192, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the offer -- i think I'm OK with what I have -- I'm sure it doesn't adhere to good programming principles, but it works.... 😉

Incidentally, can this hosting account have domain names pointing to it? I'd quite like to register www.tombraiderxtra.com...

Reply 63 of 192, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wasn't thinking I'd do a better job. I just seem to have more time than you just now.

But anyway, if you feel you have it covered, all the better.

Reply 64 of 192, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The hosting can handle domains, but only two (unless I pay more), and I'm using one.

That would be fine to point that one you suggest to them, but then we couldn't point any subdomains of your main site there - but I guess we wouldn't want to.

Reply 65 of 192, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK, I'm getting somewhere. As a quick overview, artists will be able to:

1) Upload a short and long description about themselves as a TXT file that will be used on the main artists page and their individual page.
2) Upload any number of screenshots and have an-auto generated page of thumbnails of all those screens that open a popup of the full version
3) Upload their texture packs and have an auto generated page listing all the packs. If a thumbnail image and a description file matching the file name of the pack are found, these will also be displayed.

I have some ideas for a future iterations of the site which I won't implement for the initial release so that it's quicker (building before/after combined screenshots automatically from two sources, for example).

Any comments from artists reading this thread?

Reply 66 of 192, by Antonijadis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, I think that propose is just fine.All condition for good presentation are present. I hope we start with it soon. 😀

Reply 67 of 192, by JC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sounds excellent!

Reply 68 of 192, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've put a work in progress version up -- note that nothing really works yet!!! I will update this as I progress so you can see what's happening. All content is liable to change and links don't work yet. The only page vaguely doing anything is the Artists page and drop down -- this is working by reading in basic HTML files, so you can also use some basic formatting.

Hopefully, this should be enough to give you an idea of how it'll work. Check back often for updates!

http://www.resonantedge.com/trxtest/

Reply 69 of 192, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm afraid this will have to wait a little while -- I'm working on a new portfolio site as I'm now looking for another job.

Hmmm, seems like I've been here before...

Reply 70 of 192, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Still working on my portfolio, but I also severely changed the look and feel of the new site... check it out 😀

http://www.resonantedge.com/trxtest/

Reply 71 of 192, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Love it. I like the way it turns 3D as you scroll down

Reply 72 of 192, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, I did a version where it was just the 2D top half that faded to black. This one looks much better - all done in Photoshop too! The perspective on the pillars is wrong, but it's good enough... 😉 The images are quite hefty file sizes for a website but I figured everyone is on broadband by now...

By the way, the pillars are hand-drawn vector shapes using nothing but layer effects for the shading/definition! I did them a cople of years back as an experiment for fun -- they finally came in use for something!

Also, another little addition to the site will be the abilty to upload any number of news items. As long as they fit a certain format and file name, the news page will automatically search for them and display them by date, so that any artists can make a note about a new update and it'll appear automatically.

Reply 73 of 192, by Antonijadis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Waau!! Great work. 😮

Reply 74 of 192, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK guys, we need to agree on how packs will be packaged up and released so that I can write the download/installation instructions for the site. It'll also help with consistency of downloads.

I originally used self extracting archives and some of you have been doing that too. I favour it as it makes the installation easier, but I know some end users don't trust or don't like EXEs.

I can build the download page to automatically display *everything* in the download folder for each artist, but I would rather it be selective: I intend that for each download there would be the download and an associated HTML file -- as long as they share the same name but with a different extension, all is good.

Please throw in your ideas.

Also, I got the screenshots page working and it's quite nifty -- you only have to upload your large images and the thumbnails are created automatically the first time the page is viewed.

Reply 75 of 192, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Self extracting archives make a lot of sense. Can't think why not use them.

Also, I think they should be set up to install into the Glidos folder, with the upper-level-folders Textures/<Author specific subfolder> encoded into the archive. Then the end user is less likely to mess up if they have to alter the install path to match a non-stadard glidos install location.

Reply 76 of 192, by JC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Site design looks great Gambit! I'm happy to use self-extracting archives!

Reply 77 of 192, by pbjpb1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

yes i agree the new site looks awesome. can't wait for the new textures.

Reply 78 of 192, by Tombcool

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If you look at my new thread, I am doing Atlantis levels, I hope that's fine. 😀

Reply 79 of 192, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cool, good to see some new talent!

Do you want to be included as an artist on the new site?

I am working on the site still, it's just slow.