VOGONS

First post, by doomer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There will be a remake of the original Tomb Raider. 😁

In its first decade, Eidos' Tomb Raider franchise became a surprise hit, a system-selling franchise, a pair of big-budget Hollywood movies, an interactive punch line, and a surprise hit once again. The publisher today announced that it will commemorate that run with a 10th Anniversary Edition of the original Tomb Raider for the PlayStation 2, PlayStation Portable, and PC.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6152838.html

I enjoyed the first Tomb Raider tremendously (and all the other parts, of course) so I can't wait to see how they will remake this unforgettable classic. And as IGN put it "we'll be re-exploring the original tombs before long."

http://pc.ign.com/articles/713/713003p1.html

I just can't wait. 😀

Reply 2 of 12, by Vandome

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Looks like Raziel Raider is invading St. Folly's, Peru, Atlantis, Egypt....
Ajump back in time? I don't think so! But it's a dream comming to reality: A remake of TR1, the legendary.... 😁

Reply 3 of 12, by doomer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

/sarcasm Yeeppe, another remake.

/ignoring Dosfreak didn't miss even this thread. I'll just pretend I didn't read his comment.

/serious No need to infect other people's threads if you dislike any particular game.

/bored Whatever. Some people never cease to amaze me.

Reply 4 of 12, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sorry but I see the great stuff that GliDOS did with TR and with all of the people creating Texture Packs and I don't see the point of making yet another remake. (Besides wasn't that the point of TR:L? To do TR for a new generation?)

MAKE NEW STUFF. DO NOT MAKE REMAKES.

If they want to make people happy then simply create a Win32 ver of the original TR (Along with an update to upgrade the ver of TR that people already bought) with a couple of updates and the ability for modders to update the textures and people will be happy. (But of course this wouldn't make them any $$).

It's already been shown that TR:L is just as good as the original, if not better (although short), is it really that hard to create a new game?

Next, we'll have people excited to hear about a Monkey Island remake, or a DOTT remake, an Indiana Jones remake, or hell even a Bladerunner remake. Geez people. Get a grip. STOP BUYING THIS CRAP!.

And as IGN put it "we'll be re-exploring the original tombs before long."

Sweet. Re-exploring Tombs you've already explored before. Whooptyfrickindoo! But hey! Mabye they'll be in "HD", that'll make it better.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 12, by doomer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

It's already been shown that TR:L is just as good as the original, if not better (although short), is it really that hard to create a new game?

They will make a new game, I am sure of that. It is inevitable that they make a sequel to Tomb Raider: Legend. But why are you bothered by the fact that they will remake the first Tomb Raider? Why not enjoy the thrilling gameplay of Tr:L put into the puzzle world of the original Tomb Raider? Nobody is saying that glidos is bad or something like that. But you cannot forbid Eidos/Crystal Dynamics from remaking tr1 or any other game of the series. Everybody is free to play whatever they like. You play the old tr1 with the new textures, but wait, it still looks old and it is the same tr1. Tr1 time was 1996/7. You cannot force everyone to play Tr1 in 2006 with just a win32 patch. I personally do not care at all about graphics, I'm all into gameplay. But Tr:L showed what can be done with the series. Having in mind how few tr and tr-like games are out there, you simply cannot dump any future tr projects, be they remakes or new games. I love the tr style and gameplay and you cannot doom me to playing tr1 (even if there are 9999 new texture packs) from 1996 all my life.

Reply 6 of 12, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just hate buying something I already bought. 😉

If your happy buying the new TR then that's your decision and I hope the game makes you happy.....I just hate seing bastardized remakes of classic games to make a quick dime when they could easily just update the game as much as necessary and then re-release it without ruining the atmosphere of the original (that also includes trying to "improve it").

Reply 7 of 12, by doomer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

By 'updating' you mean just releasing a win32 patch or some direct3d patch? And a few new textures here and there? Seriously now, how would buy such a thing? And I think you should stop criticising them for their "making a quick dime." I don't think they are the only ones *cough* *cough* trying to make money off old game/s. Nobody is denying the place the original TR1 has. But remaking tr1 will not lead to disaster. This project intrigues me, that is all I can say. Dismissing it without even seeing what it is about is not very smart.

Reply 8 of 12, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't get me wrong. I do look at the remakes but it's just that. A "remake". I prefer new content rather than old content with a "HD" remake. It's pretty much why I don't care about HD-TV/Blu-Ray. I care about the story more than I do the graphics and DVD is "good nuff".

Probably the biggest benefit to remaking TR with the new engine will be the control of your character. Second will be the updated graphics. Honestly controlling the character in TR1 never bothered me that much and graphics do not concern me much either.

I can criticize all I want. It's America.....at least it is where I am sitting. I'm tired of game/move companies remaking old material. Youve' already made the material.....so why don't you bothered updating it to work with newer machines rather than re-releasing it.....and not creating new content. (We all know the answer to this of course.).

Reply 9 of 12, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did you see the leaked video from the cancelled PSP version that Core were working on?

While I agree in principal with what you're saying Dosfreak, it did look sweet! 😉

Reply 10 of 12, by pbjpb1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

this is just my two cents but i don't mind the remake as long as CD doesn't "legendify" it by redesigning the whole thing using shiny objects, the headset, linear levels, new inventory system, new controls (camera mostly), new music, and finally the easiest puzzles ever invented. after playing TRL i am a little worried that they will. by the way gambit your review of TRL is exactly right. if you guys are interested you should see what ppl are saying about the remake here:

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23

Reply 11 of 12, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep, been following the various threads with interest...

I'm actually a little torn. The larger part of me wants the original game left alone, but after seeing the leaked trailer, despite its "Legendyness", it made me more excited for a new TR game than Legend ever did. But I don't trust Crystal Dynamics to make they game I would want to play -- I *do* trust them to mess it up in exactly the way they did with TRL.

So, on balance, I think it should be left well alone, but hey I know what I'm like -- I'll probably still buy it!

Reply 12 of 12, by OCcsdude

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hopefully this turns out to be really awesome. Imagine exploring the lost valley and the egyptian levels again with updated models/animations/textures. That would be really sweet. They could add more areas and secrets to the levels (and make them super hard to get to). An extended lost valley would be the best thing for the game 😉. But I would agree that they should not change anything unless they are going DO IT RIGHT. I would rather them make a clone-game with updated textures only then do things wrongly and ruin one of the best games ever made.