Common searches

Peru Levels (screenshots) / JC

Topic actions

Reply 41 of 48, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ooooooooohhhhhhhh! I'm so excited! These look freakin' awesome! Really looking forward to playing this. The Lost Valley is looking a lot tighter, and Qualopec - well, looks even better than Legend! 😁 😁

I especially love these ones:

download.php?id=3109
download.php?id=3110
download.php?id=3112

Excellent stuff! You've surpassed yourself -- can't wait to see your Egypt textures!

I do feel rather let down by my own efforts now though -- might need to do a little tweaking.... 😉

Reply 42 of 48, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
JC wrote:

I don't really understand why I should need to do the combine equiv file thing?

If you already include mappings to both versions of the games then you don't need to. But if you are mainly supporting just one version of the game, the version-equiv file gives you a single operation to make what you have work for both versions.

also, I'm scared that it might negate my 'hide the texture' trick.

It wont. The version-equiv file contains only links between the two versions. It has no links between different levels. It will have no visual effect on the version of the game you used to develop the pack. It will just make the other version look identical.

Obviously keep a safe copy of your current equiv file just in case there is a bug in my combining program.

You can think of it like this. If you put the levels and versions in a grid

L1V1                       L1V2

L2V1 L2V2

L3V1 L3V2

L4V1 L4V2

L5V1 L5V2

then your equiv file contains just vertical links, and mainly ones restricted to just one of the columns. The version-equiv file contains all the horizontal links, but absolutely no vertical ones.

Reply 43 of 48, by JC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Right - I get it now! Stupid of me not to have figured that out!
On another matter, before merging my new Peru pack with the Rome pack I ran the tool to check for duplicate textures/mappings and it didn't find any. I then generated the new equiv file and tested it and all seemed to work perfectly. When I had a little snoop into my mapping folders I found that links to common textures (e.g. Lara) were in fact duplicated. An urge to tidy up prompted me to delete the duplicated links from the Rome pack, but when I went for a test run some textures had got lost...? I chucked all the duplicate links back since they don't appear to cause any conflict. Is there a possibility that this might create problems further down the line?

Reply 44 of 48, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's strange. Could it be that the textures in question are actually very slightly different? If so the autogenerated equiv file would not link the textures. Or could you have applied your texture hiding trick? In any case, it shouldn't cause a problem: if the pack plays fine and there are no reported duplication then it should be ok. I could take a look when you release the pack.

Reply 45 of 48, by JC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

can't wait to see your Egypt textures!

Hang on a bit...! Although I think Anton has done a beautiful job of Cistern and Tihocan, I do still want to do my own versions! I know you can relate to this Mr. G!

Reply 46 of 48, by JC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Could it be that the textures in question are actually very slightly different?

I'll have to take a closer look!

Or could you have applied your texture hiding trick?

Texture? what Texture?.....No, I've been very economical with that!

Reply 47 of 48, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JC wrote:

can't wait to see your Egypt textures!

Hang on a bit...! Although I think Anton has done a beautiful job of Cistern and Tihocan, I do still want to do my own versions! I know you can relate to this Mr. G!

Heh, I wasn't assuming you'd forget those -- I was just thinking that you'd do a good version of Egypt!

Reply 48 of 48, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Glidos wrote:
You can think of it like this. If you put the levels and versions in a grid […]
Show full quote

You can think of it like this. If you put the levels and versions in a grid

L1V1                       L1V2

L2V1 L2V2

L3V1 L3V2

L4V1 L4V2

L5V1 L5V2

then your equiv file contains just vertical links, and mainly ones restricted to just one of the columns. The version-equiv file contains all the horizontal links, but absolutely no vertical ones.

I wish you'd drawn that diagram originally! As an aesthetic (not analytical) person, I instantly got it. I'd never really understood your previous (fairly wordy) explanations!