VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Poll: How should I release TRX texture packs?

• 2 votes (13%) 2 votes (13%)
  • 11 votes (69%) 11 votes (69%)
  • 2 votes (13%) 2 votes (13%)
  • 1 vote (6%) 1 vote (6%)
  • No votes No votes

Trying to get a feel for what people want. Please answer the poll above.

Reply 2 of 9, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I must point out that if I opt for #2, they will be updated later anyway once I have to time to add all the enemies and sprites and things.

Please note that the result of the poll is not necessarily indicative of my final decision!

Reply 3 of 9, by Lux_Veritatis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey, Gambit! I voted for # 2, thinking that it will be even quicker than option # 4... So, I'm all for whatever will take the least amount of time. I have been completely fascinated with your textures, and the examples of your new Lara for TR1.

I just want you to know that your work is greatly appreciated! Oh, and when you post to forums about updated textures, please don't forget the Lara Croft Online forum; I'm a member there. 😁 Here is the addy.

http://laracroftonline.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl

THANKEES! We love your textures!

Reply 4 of 9, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the comments! Nice to know the [slow] work is appreciated.

Bear in mind that if I go with option two, I'll update the packs again with everything else -- which means you'd eventually need to download the packs twice and that serioiusly eats up bandwidth.

I'm looking at new hosting at the moment as I seem to have lost the hosting at larashome.com (the packs are currently 404). Depending on what deal I get, I may not do option #2 or #4 purely to limit data trasnfer usage...

Reply 5 of 9, by Salk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Personally I'd like to make you feel comfortable about taking all the time you need for feeling yourself first fully satisfied with a release. Said that, I would though love to see much more frequent updates about how your work is doing. Keeping a WIP diary sort of will perhaps also motivate you further. Thanks again and good luck! 😉

Reply 6 of 9, by Jedi Ninja

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I would prefer option 2, more/faster updates would probably generate more interest in the project. If bandwith is a problem maybe you could relese the updated textures and keep them seperate from the original release. So have 3 options in the download area when everything is finished: Level-x textures, Level-x textures update pack (requires Level-x), and Level-x complete (for new users that dont have any textures). Anyway great job with the project I'm sure everyone will enjoy it just as much no matter how you decide to release it.

Reply 7 of 9, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's really not worth making different versions available. The extra space it would take up, plus the time required to manage version control would be a nightmare. Much easier to just put new packs on that replace old ones.

Reply 9 of 9, by Guest

User metadata

Well i guess the best way would be to do the sequences so if you find something in a later level with same theme as a previous one you can go back, touch it up, and not make it seem out of place. When you say "much quicker" for just then environment how much do you mean. I would like to see updates as soon as possible but it is your project and I believe you should do it the way you're most comfortable with. Maybe if you posted screenshots of your progress more often it would keep us nonchalant until your next release.