VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 39, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Damn! I've seen that d3dx9_27.dll warning, but I can't remember what caused it. I have swapped to the August2005 version of the SDK, but that shouldn't be the problem.

Does Crock still work how it used to with v0.1?

Do you have DirecX 9.0c installed?

Reply 21 of 39, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ah, stupid microsoft: that dll isn't included in DirectX 9.0c, but application writers can destribute it as part of an installer. There is an installer for just that dll here: http://www.toymaker.info/Games/html/d3dx_dlls.html

Reply 24 of 39, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeepee! That did the trick.

Man, Microsoft is so full of muck. It's probably unrelated, but I have noticed that something went very wrong in TR2~5 after updating from DX9.0b to DX9.0c more than a year ago. For some reason, I can spot thin black lines between polygons, especially on Lara's mesh and on the sky's texture -- it looks a bit like the OpenGL texture clamp issue some games were having after OGL 1.2. But here the catch is, it only happens when one enables AA or AF, which of course kinds of kill all the fun...! I've confirmed this to happen on two different systems (Win2K+GF3, WinXP+R9550) and the only common point is DX9.0c.

Ah, I seriously digress... I should properly report this in the Windows forum, but just in case someone knowledgeable has also encountered this problem, feel free to suggest some solutions... 😵

Anyway, psVoodoo works very well with Croc's demo. NFS2SE on the other hand has a problem; it seems to work (I can hear music and roaring engines in the background) but the display remains completely black. I can kill it with the Task Manager without any problem though. Here's the log attached.

Attachments

• Filename
    psVoodoo.log
    File size
    734 Bytes
    Downloads
    282 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 26 of 39, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks Kaminari. I'll see if I can find the demo for NFS2SE, and try to get it going. That failed call to "Present" in the log is almost certainly the cause of the black screen. Hmmm, I wonder if this is one of those games that leaves the frame buffer locked for writes. psVoodoo wouldn't handle that at the moment.

Reply 27 of 39, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What's the trick to getting NFS2SE running under XP? It does nothing for me. Works to some extent on 98SE with psVoodoo, but the frame rate keeps dropping and there are warnings in the log file.

And Crock crashes under 98 🙁 Still a fair amount to sort out it seems.

Reply 28 of 39, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Let me see... My readme says this is the 3dfx demo -- was NFS2SE ever compatible with D3D? It works ok for me on XP SP2, but I notice I enabled the Win95 compatibility mode, which might make a difference (I also disabled visual themes and advanced text services, just to be on the safe side).

Reply 30 of 39, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I gave it a closer look and it's rather weird. The demo works with every wrapper I tried (DG, GW, OG) providing that the compatibility mode is disabled -- otherwise, it won't run at all. PS is different, it will only run if Win95 compatibility is enabled (notwithstanding the black display I reported earlier).

[Edit] It also works with DG in compatibility mode, but the frame rate is then botched up.

Reply 31 of 39, by Markus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Paul,

to avoid the problem with those dlls you can get any directx 9 sdk before the february 2005 update. In earlier versions d3dx.lib was a static import library. At least october and december 2004 are still available on microsoft.com.

And have a look at the Eula for the newer sdks: there had been versions, that required you to distribute the whole directx runtime with your app...

Reply 32 of 39, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kaminari wrote:

I gave it a closer look and it's rather weird. The demo works with every wrapper I tried (DG, GW, OG) providing that the compatibility mode is disabled -- otherwise, it won't run at all. PS is different, it will only run if Win95 compatibility is enabled (notwithstanding the black display I reported earlier).

[Edit] It also works with DG in compatibility mode, but the frame rate is then botched up.

Strange: for me it doesn't work with any wrapper with any compatibility mode. It says it is the 3dfx demo (size of NFS2EA.EXE 961,536). Works under W98SE, albeit not very well, showing errors in psVoodoo.log

Croc, on the other hand, works under XP, but not under W98SE. It crashes going from the initial scene-rotating screen to the game, again with all wrappers.

Maybe these games don't like my AMD64 CPU, although that shouldn't matter.

Markus wrote:

Hi Paul,

to avoid the problem with those dlls you can get any directx 9 sdk before the february 2005 update. In earlier versions d3dx.lib was a static import library. At least october and december 2004 are still available on microsoft.com.

And have a look at the Eula for the newer sdks: there had been versions, that required you to distribute the whole directx runtime with your app...

That's an idea. I suspected it was static with the version of DX9 that I used for psVoodoo v0.1 because the binary was much bigger. Do you think I'd not be losing out on much by forgoing the updates, then?

Reply 33 of 39, by Markus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hm, I think, it's pretty easy: your code compiles and links with last years sdk, so you're not using any new functions, that are available in newer sdks only.
I'd say, you're not losing too much unless you find that one particular cool feature, that's missing in the older ones;-)

There's hardly any information about sdk changes, you can find some in the sdk documentation, that gets installed with the sdk but it's near to nonexistant - if you really want to know, what's new, you have to compare the headerfiles (use e.g. diff.exe from cygwin.)

I will only get a new sdk, when 9.0d arrives.

Reply 35 of 39, by Markus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, great. I was thinking there might be bug fixes and optimisations too, but I guess probably not.

Of course there are, but there can't be any major improvements, since the end-user-runtime hasn't changed since April 2004.

Hey, you wouldn't know where I could find DirectX 8 SDK, do you?

I don't know any place to download it, on microsoft.com there's only the DX9 sdk - but you can develop DX 8 programs with it, the headerfiles are all there, you only have to use
#define DIRECTXVERSION=0800 (don't know exactly, check headers.)

Perhaps you have a copy of Visual Studio 2003 laying around - the DX8 sdk is included (at least headerfiles and libs, haven't checked for examples and docs.)

Reply 39 of 39, by amano

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm. Browsing the sourceforge CVS it seems that development of psVoodoo has started again.

Thanks to GliDos that this wrapper is still being developed. Probably the last chance to get a wrapper with a compatibility next to 100 %.

:thumbs up:

EDIT: BTW, is this the right place to discuss this wrapper?

Maybe it should go to the PC forum where the other wrappers are discussed?