VOGONS

Common searches

something new

Topic actions

First post, by z9d10

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Been away a while , although I have not been exactly idle. keep forgetting my passwords and stuff for this site though 😀

here are some textures for the first four levels. download them all to your C:\temp folder and clicking on startehere.exe will load all of them ( if they are in another folder you will have to execute each archive manually)

(original ancient stuff removed get teh newest stuff from : http://tombraiderxtra.com/artists.php?artist=Quest )

Last edited by z9d10 on 2007-08-15, 17:26. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 126, by z9d10

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

remember you need the "start here" file to get all the common textures and most importantly the textrue remapping file:)

(original ancient stuff removed get the newest stuff from : http://tombraiderxtra.com/artists.php?artist=Quest )

Last edited by z9d10 on 2007-08-15, 17:27. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 2 of 126, by z9d10

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

the textures are best viewed in 1600x1200, remember "F4" flips you back and forth between new and old textures

(original ancient stuff removed get the newest stuff from : http://tombraiderxtra.com/artists.php?artist=Quest )

Last edited by z9d10 on 2007-08-15, 17:29. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 126, by z9d10

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Gambit I am sorry I did not use your file structure I already had one in place before I realized you started a standardized one .

Last edited by z9d10 on 2007-08-15, 17:36. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 5 of 126, by Jedi Ninja

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just did a quick run through the levels you released so far. I like the style and amount of detail you put in but some of the scenes didnt seem to blend well. Like in the lost valley the dark green floor makes the bright tree tops seem out of place. A little color tweaking and I think it would look much better. There was also a couple textures missing but that could be my fault, I installed the pack manually. I didn't really like the menu background but honestly I would rather see work on the levels. Overall I really liked the pack so far and can't wait for the the next set. Keep up the great work. 😁

Reply 6 of 126, by z9d10

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The menu background is something I did simply because I was tired of looking at the low res original ( after seeing it about a millions times during testing ). Lara does look like she has some serious alien funk going on . I like the scion though the purple rays might be a bit over the edge.

The LV level plants were the bane of my existence. I actually have a note hanging on my computer to:

1)make better plants for the LV level

2) reduce some of the color in the ground texture .

Unfortunetly the nature of the repetetive texture on the 'green'ground in LV is , much like the base texture for caves, somewhat difficult to overcome.

IN the LV level I opted for more 'grit' in the rock textures after having seen the inside of a number of actuall a caves . That and it seems to me that with new technology artists have to choose a tone , and clearly there is a "cleaness" in less busy more cartoonish texture design . currently this gritty flavor is closer to what I feel a dirty secret cave burried inside a mountain should be like . ask me tommorrow and I may have a different answer though.

About the textures being missing i am somewhat stumped as to why . They ARE in the pak but glidos is ignoring certain ones for some reason . it's odd because I didn't change anything and just loaded them into a .rar sfx

Last edited by z9d10 on 2007-08-15, 17:34. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 126, by z9d10

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

here are some totally rough an pre mature folly textures , if you do not want to see work in progress do not down load these .

Last edited by z9d10 on 2007-08-15, 17:36. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 126, by z9d10

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I notice that the 'starthere.exe' file has not been downloaded as much as the other files . Just so everyone knows you need to have the start here file because it contains a number of the common files and the directory structure for Glidos texture mapping

Jedi I am currious what res are you running? are you using an unlocked GLIDOS ?and which textures are missing? ( I notice that with the locked version of glidos two textures on lara's front are missing ( except in the LV level were only one of her front textures is missing, and one type of door edge in the vila level haven't noticed ant others yet ),

and thanks , I am not an artist so all input be it praise or criticism is appreciated .

Reply 9 of 126, by Jedi Ninja

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was using 1600x1200res with 4x aa 8x af unlocked. Lara seemed fine except the yellow thing in her hair didn't show your texture until the third level and her boots but I'm not sure they can be textured. Same with the enimies, none of them showed your textures until Lost Valley. In level 2 the skeleton key and its keyhole were untextured, the gold key was fine until I put it in and the keyhole went back to the original texture. The underwater levers didn't show and the last one I remember was the door at the end of LV after you go under the waterfall was untextured.

Didn't get to try Qualopec yet but I took a screenshots and thew all the parts together. Hope it helps. Oh and you had me fooled about the artist thing 😉

Attachments

• Filename
    untextured.jpg
    File size
    379.69 KiB
    Downloads
    466 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 11 of 126, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I downloaded thinking they were from a brand new artists, but this is you again Quest! Very confusing!

I'll post some feedback when I've had a proper look at these. All I want to say for now is -- please change your installation procedure! I hate that each EXE file is dependent on a prevous one to work properly. Really bad form. It would be better if you package these up independently so we can install it how we wish.

Reply 12 of 126, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh, and for textures not working, it'll be because of the different folder names generated depending which version of TR you have. There are numerous threads discussing this problem, but as yet we haven't consolidated anything.

Reply 13 of 126, by JC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm keen to take a look at these but I'm also concerned about the installers as I haven't a clue as to what might get overwritten. I'm going to have to do a major spring clean and backup of my Glidos folder before I can risk taking a look! - Oh well, I guess its a chore thats been long overdue anyway.

Reply 15 of 126, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Glad to see the mapping file being well used. I would change things a little though.

1) Having the "texmap" folder outside of the "textures" folder forces you to use an absolute path in the mapping file, which isn't ideal. I'd stick that folder inside the "textures" folder. Also I'd call it snarsky, rather than texmap to make it very unlikely that other textures will conflict.

2) Glidos can read several mapping files, so I'd split the current one into one per level, calling them just level1map.txt, level2map.txt,... or caves1map.txt, vilacabamba.txt,... (which ever we can all agree on). Then users can mix and match levels from different authors without moving everything around.

3) Also would be worth putting copies of the mapping files into the snarsky folder. They would be unused there, but there could be a bat file usesnarsky.bat that copies the mapping files out to where they will get used.

If we obeyed a convention along these lines, users wouldn't have to worry about conflicts so much I think.

Reply 16 of 126, by Jedi Ninja

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had the same problem with the installer, it ran and seemed to do everything fine but then gave and error. I wasn't sure so unpacked the files from the exe with winrar and placed them manually. JC maybe you could do something similar so you dont have to worry about overwriting.

Gambit is there an easy way to figure out the proper names for my version and get the missing textures to show?

Reply 18 of 126, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jedi Ninja wrote:

Gambit is there an easy way to figure out the proper names for my version and get the missing textures to show?

No easy way. The starting point is to run Glidos in capture mode (edit glidos.ini, and change "TextureOverride: Yes" to TextureOverride: Capture"). Run through the level making sure you see all the textures that are unmapped. Then look in the Capture folder to see if there are any strange folder names not mentioned in the mapping file.

Reply 19 of 126, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I didn't realise: I'm missing loads of textures. There are five folders, from the caves level, differing when capturing from the version of TR that comes with UB.

Here are the folders with their captured bmps. I'm tempted to try to create the extra links, but its not easy to find everything.

Attachments

• Filename
    Unmapped.zip
    File size
    389.46 KiB
    Downloads
    758 downloads
    File comment
    Differing capture folders from UB version (caves level)
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception