Reply 40 of 126, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
z9d10 wrote:

first things first ,
I ( PSP7 did actually ) translated all the .bmp's into png's for size benefit's
I am fairly certain all of the textures are captured here , although I had some problems capturing some of the small wall textures on what appears to be a static mesh near the jump ( to the last switch ) over the exit entryway .

Thanks, but sorry, could I have the bmps, exactly as Glidos captures. I need to avoid any translation process that might stop the matching process working.

Reply 41 of 126, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
z9d10 wrote:

agreed , the key being 'current' . I actually have four sets of textures in folders (named glitr , glitr1, glitr2, etc..) located directly on my root (c:\) or more often a cdrw drive but decided that other people may not want the textures unfolding some place seperate from glidos ( being related as they are to glidos ) .

Where you have them on your computer sounds ideal for the authoring stage. Release is a different matter though. The two natural placed seem to me to be in:

1. 1 your own author specific subfolder of "Program Files" (the typical place for games and game extension packs, although most extension packs are standalone)

2 a subfolder of the Glidos folder, same sort of thing as used with HL2 mods, say

You've chosen the latter, so no problem there.

z9d10 wrote:

forgive my thickness but I still can't understand why being in the texture folder would be a better that being ..elsewhere .

Well, all sorts of things, most of them subjective. For one, I intended the Textures folder to be a sort of demarcation, with everything relevant to textures being inside to keep it away from the rest of Glidos. This has an advantage if, say, a user want to delete all his textures; he just deletes the Textures folder and doesn't have to worry about there being other bits and bobs.

Also, if you put texmap inside Textures then your map file can have a relative path, which has advantages if a user wants to move Textures around, from one copy of Glidos to another, say.

Also the name "texmap" is in a way too good. Its a natural name for a folder with textures in it, and you've used it up, so no other author can use it without conflicts. Of course, Textures\texmap has the same problem, but Textures\snarsky\texmap is fine.

z9d10 wrote:

If the idea is one of modularity between texture paks I think the structure of the files inside the texmap folder has to remain fixed otherwise the link structure will fall all to hell . again please forgive my cofusion , perhaps I do not understand the special nature of the texture folder.

No not that at all. The internal structure of texmap looks ideal.

Reply 42 of 126, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ah right, this thing about the "ROOT:" being relative is more important than I thought. I just:

1) Deleted my Glidos folder

2) Installed Glidos, changing the installation path to c:\Program Files\Glidos2

3) Installed your textures, changing Glidos to Glidos2 in the installation paths.

Everything installed ok, but your mapping file still has

ROOT: c:\program files\glidos\\texmap

so the textures don't work.

Reply 43 of 126, by z9d10

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

generally when trying major changes to different tex paks I (use to) simply rename my glidos folder and install a clean new one , but this got old fast so now I just edit the snarsky.txt file , leaving all texture folders outside of glidos on some root directory.

as for my problem with winrar the cause was a loose nut behind the wheel . the solution was to use a shot of whiskey (or two) AFTER navigating the sfx creation 😉. (the winrar has the capacity to run scipts and unpack to a temp folder, although that would mean all my fine icons never get seen 😀

Reply 44 of 126, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
z9d10 wrote:

generally when trying major changes to different tex paks I (use to) simply rename my glidos folder and install a clean new one , but this got old fast so now I just edit the snarsky.txt file , leaving all texture folders outside of glidos on some root directory.

Yes, that's a very good practice during texture pack development. That's exactly why I allow absolute paths in the mapping file. But I still think they aren't a great idea in released texture packs.

Reply 45 of 126, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Totally agree -- absolute paths are completely wrong for released sets, you simply cannot make any assumptions about how a user's machine is setup. At least a relative ROOT path gives you a greater chance of your packs working on someone else's machine.

Reply 46 of 126, by z9d10

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

you simply cannot make any assumptions about how a user's machine is setup

whoa , ease off there sonny boy , let's be realistic , how many people are actually going to download an incomplete amatuer created texture pak for a ten year old game ?
the answer right now seems to be a very limited number of people of whom most are fairly conversant with glidos and texture pak creation .

In short I expect the people downloading this at this stage and level of dispertion to be somewhat competant at handling files on their own respective machines, especially since they are downloading pieces of an ongoing project .

While criticism is fine as a construction tool I would much prefer to see a little more carrot and a little less stick

Reply 48 of 126, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Uh, I think you took that rather too personally zd. I was simply stating a fact that you shouldn't make assumptions about a user's machine. Chill, man. 😀

Reply 49 of 126, by z9d10

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

machine. Chill, man.

hehe, correct-u-mundo , I have , recently ,been trying to figure out how, from utilizing being (cough, occassionally, cough)wound too tight, to profit from a combination and coal and anal tightness . So far the results have been merely painfull messy and curiously unsatisfying . 😉

Reply 50 of 126, by z9d10

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hello , thanks to matt and paul (and whomever) for including my previous stuff on matt's web site 😀

Also thanks to JC and Anton for all the effort in their textures

I'vee been pretty slack but have some new stuff if anyone cares to puruse it
On a side note if anyone would like to help me aquire a copy of the british? , or european ? version of tomb raider I will make a texmap that natively supports that version.

O.K. you will need the original files plus: < the new equivilence map and tex map files

(original ancient stuff removed get the newest stuff from : http://tombraiderxtra.com/artists.php?artist=Quest )

Last edited by z9d10 on 2007-08-15, 17:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 51 of 126, by z9d10

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

here is the house and title files ( I moved all the junk out of the texture folder as it was extremely sloppy event for me ) just drop these into your texmap folder

lara's house: credit to Antonijadis for the books in the library .thanks I borrowed all your library books- remember only your friends steal books;)

(original ancient stuff removed get the newest stuff from : http://tombraiderxtra.com/artists.php?artist=Quest )

Last edited by z9d10 on 2007-08-15, 17:41. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 52 of 126, by z9d10

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

folly completed ( well almost , say 95%, although the 'friezes' need proper hands , feet , and in some cases heads and genitals )

drop this folder in your texmap folder

Last edited by z9d10 on 2007-08-15, 17:41. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 53 of 126, by z9d10

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

just drop these folders into the italy folder

Matt if your offer to load thing to your site is still extended tell me how I can do this and I will re-package everything and upload stuff directly

Last edited by z9d10 on 2007-08-15, 17:42. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 54 of 126, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Great stuff. Good to see you back. Hopefully I should have some time tomorrow to take a look at all this nice new stuff.

Don't worry, about getting hold of the British version. We have a way to handle multiple versions automatically now.

Reply 55 of 126, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
z9d10 wrote:

Matt if your offer to load thing to your site is still extended tell me how I can do this and I will re-package everything and upload stuff directly

Yes, the whole idea behind the new site was that each artist manages their own page so I don't have to keep getting involved... 😀

Do you have FTP details from Paul? Do you know about creating a self-extracting installer for your textures? Do you know about creating a news item?

Most of this information is available in other posts, but I guess I should write a "how to" at some point anyway. If you need help, let me know, and I'll write something up.

Great to see you back by the way and that you have new stuff. Oh, are you happy that you are still called "Quest" on the site?

Reply 56 of 126, by z9d10

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Do you have FTP details from Paul? Do you know about creating a self-extracting installer for your textures? Do you know about creating a news item?

erm, no , possibly but probably no,and no...

Most of this information is available in other posts,...

I would save you the trouble if you could point a fellow in that(those) direction(s)

Great to see you back by the way and that you have new stuff. Oh, are you happy that you are still called "Quest" on the site?

thanks and yeah that's cool . I actually had a chance to stop at home for a while and found one of my old codes books , unfortunetly the password /login info I scribbled down for quest no longer seems to work . [/quote]

Reply 57 of 126, by z9d10

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Great stuff. Good to see you back. Hopefully I should have some time tomorrow to take a look at all this nice new stuff.

Thanks , and there are some very nice stuffs although: abunch of the house textures are not complete (like lara's body whihc is obviously still in the 'working' state), and a number of textures from all three levels are still quite ruff or (moslty small textures and the characters) missing . All in all though I think it is a signifigant increase in the over-all quality compared to my previous stuff , still not professional but then again still free 😀

Don't worry, about getting hold of the British version. We have a way to handle multiple versions automatically now.

I would still like to get the versions that you fellows are using so that I can compare how the texture link -up works out . the equivilence tools is quite awesome but sometimes it doesn't seem to want to 'hook' some textures and in some cases I have removed selected textures from my "omni-capture" file so that they are not linked in the equiv file.

If someone has an extra one that they would like to sell let me know , if I know what version you gents are using I could find one on the ugtz or something [/quote]

Reply 58 of 126, by z9d10

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Paul or Matt , can I get whatever info I need to update the info at matt's site(perhaps you could leave the info as a message on this forum ) ?

I have the cistern level complete and I would like to tie together and tidy up the files . ANy help would be appreciated

Reply 59 of 126, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There. I've resent the details for accessing TRX.

I made some changes to your archives before I uploaded them that you may wish to keep. I added a equiv file that mappes your letters to all levels. I also combined that with the version equiv file, so your stuff will work with any version. And I changed the archives so they didn't report an error.