VOGONS

Common searches

Equivalence tool v1.04

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 33, by JC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well I'm still investigating the croc, but basically he only got partially retextured. Can't remember off hand whether this happened in Cistern or Tihocan, but I patched it by throwing in another link file. The problem raised its head again in City of Khamoon (came back to bite me I guess!) and this is what I'm looking into now.

Reply 21 of 33, by JC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

...As far as being patient goes - surely you look through each captured level to see what you will be reworking? Whilst you're snooping through why not create a 'taken care of' folder and chuck all the obvious bits in there out of the way. The only reason I can think of that this calls for patience is that some of the bits are so small that you have to magnify them to see if they qualify...

Reply 22 of 33, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are you kidding? 😲 😲 I don't know how you can possibly remember what tiny brown square relates to say the medipack in all levels or possibly a monster on only four levels. Or how many tiny grey squares belong to either the shotgun versus the pistols? Either you have a fantastically good visual memory or you are working a completely different way to me.

Anyway, after a lot of faffing about using pngcrush, removing palette data, rewriting files, renaming files, etc -- I've managed to create a complete game capture that is much better and duplicate file finder is now showing repeated textures much better across all the levels.

I'll get there in the end!

Reply 23 of 33, by JC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OK - so I'm determined in a 'whack it with a hammer' kind of way! But actually, when I've spent a bit of time doing a re-take of those little brown squares I do remember them when I see them again!

Re: the nasty old crocodile- He appears in seven levels consecutively from 'Folly' to 'Obelisk of Khamoon'. He has 19 pieces and the equivalence file takes care of 12 of these throughout. 7 pieces are 'one-offs' in Tihocan, and the equiv file doesn't do the job. The same 7 pieces are covered by the equiv file between the two Egypt levels independently.
Three possible solutions I can think of are: 1. Link to these seven pieces three times (from Tihocan, from an earlier level and from one of the Egypt levels); 2. Manually edit the equiv file, or: 3. Ask Paul to work some mysterious magic and amaze us all yet again!

Reply 24 of 33, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Weird! Are you sure that you can't map some of the textures to others?

I've noticed that Core made many textures that are different shapes and sizes but are basically the same thing. Because the engine stretches textures to fit the rectangle they are mapped on to, you can often substitute ONE hi-res texture in all the other TLNK files for the other places where it's used.

For example, the Uzi has three different shaped/sized side panels depending on if it's showing in Lara's hand, in the holster or the menu ring. I didn't bother making three variations of the image, I just link to the same bitmap for all three cases. It works fine and maybe it's the same issue with the croc?

Reply 25 of 33, by JC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I used the three sets of links solution and that's sorted it. The croc's mood hasn't improved though...had to let him eat Lara so I could get a look at his tongue. I can't see any visible difference between those panels but I've not subjected them to any in depth scrutiny. I'm hoping to upload the completed Egypt levels sometime this week, so you will be able to check it out from my link files.

Reply 26 of 33, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You are a texturing machine! It's so embarrasing, I still don't have one single complete level.....

...but, with the work I'm doing today, eventually things will be much, much quiciker for me.

Reply 28 of 33, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had a look at the croc tongue between the levels you mentioned and it's colour changes -- so not only is the palette different, but the actual colours of the images themselves change. Core didn't want to make it easy for us, eh? 😒

I think for my solution, I'll just edit the equiv file to combine pointers to the correct images.

Reply 29 of 33, by JC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There's more than one way to kill a crocodile! Add to my list of things that the equivalence file misses the four water panels in 'City-' and 'Obelisk of Khamoon' - they do appear to get picked up in 'Sanctuary' though.

Reply 30 of 33, by JC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think for my solution, I'll just edit the equiv file to combine pointers to the correct images.

. You will have to manually type in the seven missing pieces from Tihocan because the equiv file misses them altogether!

Reply 31 of 33, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yup -- I checked this out and the images are actually different colours entirely so the equiv file correctly doesn't link them together.

I've just finished sorting out the duplicates and now have a full game folder completely de-duped. It took quite a few hours! I still need to do some work as I go along on fixing stuff (such as the croc) but it's pretty much there.

Now to get back to making a small WIP pack and getting the site online. After that, I can texture at my leisure. 😉

Reply 32 of 33, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh man, this is so cool!

I've finally tried my new de-duped pack with save games from every level and it's pretty cool to see so much stuff auto-textured! Also, some of the later levels ebd up with very little to actually texture!

Paul, we love you! 😁 😁