VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by noname

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In Tomb Raider, any music or ambience is supposed to mute (but still be playing in the background) when you pause the game or when the camera is under water. Is there a way to do that in Glidos with the audio packs? I notice when you pause, the game uses a darkening effect on the background, can Glidos use that to tell that the game is being paused? I'm not sure if there's a way for Glidos to tell that the camera is under water though.

Also, when an FMV starts in Glidos, the ambient sounds from the previous level is still playing on top of the FMV audio. Can you fix that?

Reply 1 of 8, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's an idea. Its not the darkening itself that would be a good key, but at that stage TR has just read the LFB. I could use that as a trigger for shutting off the background sounds.

Water might be more of a problem.

Reply 2 of 8, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

It's been too many years since I played TR in DOS to remember a muting (diminishing) of the volume of the CD audio like that; but I wonder how it would be accomplished. Perhaps the HMI sound system had a way to talk to the mixer controls of the various supported sound cards for that purpose?

Reply 3 of 8, by noname

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Glidos wrote:

That's an idea. Its not the darkening itself that would be a good key, but at that stage TR has just read the LFB. I could use that as a trigger for shutting off the background sounds.

Water might be more of a problem.

Great, so will this be in the next version of Glidos?

Reply 4 of 8, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

If the muting is being done by changing the volume level, I wonder if this is something that would be better done as an ehancement to VDMSound. For example, the volume control for the sound FX on TR's main menu works, but the "music" one doesn't. If VDMSound was translating the volume changes to the SoundBlaster mixer for CD audio to the CD volume control in Windows, it seems like it would cover all the bases: the menu option would work, the muting in the ring menu would work, and the game presumably knows when the camera is under water so the muting would work there, too. Just a thought...