Common searches

VDos32

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 49, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't know what to make of this. That does seem to imply that ntvdm would at least need to be updated (to catch int 10), if it were to support VESA under Vista-style drivers. I can quite believe that will never happen.

Is that your understanding too?

What makes me uncertain is that I always assumed that ntvdm trapped int 10 anyway.

Reply 41 of 49, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Sounds like they're only talking about the drivers themselves not being
allowed to use bios int10 services. Not sure what this implies for dos
applications (some layer might intercept application-level int10 calls
and emulate them, but it seems like the vista NTVDM/graphics drivers
don't do that).

Graphics ports access as well as int10 calls are intercepted by XP as far
as i remember, but much is forwarded to the real ports/bios (softice
might reveal more about this).

Reply 43 of 49, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I haven't heard anything about SolVBE in a long time. Is Sol_HSA still doing anything with it or is it dead?

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 44 of 49, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Solvbe Documentation: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=115369

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 47 of 49, by The_Pope

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Paul 😀

Here's a nice screenshot for you. Windows XP SP2, on a Dell Precision Workstation 620 machine. That means dual Xeons 933 MHz, 2 GB ram, Geforce 2 Pro with 64 MB. The latest Forceware wouldn't support it, I'm using Detonator 52.16. Directx 9.0c, two sound cards - one integrated and one on PCI (Windows default is set to the integrated one, although I don't think that matters).
I got that when trying to run Carmageddon with Glidos and Vdos32. I didn't see VDMsound loading, by the way.

Attachments

• vdos32-xp.JPG
    Filename
    vdos32-xp.JPG
    File size
    15.41 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Stop the world...I want to descend.

Reply 48 of 49, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for the feedback, but something odd is going on there. VDos32 can't really be affected by drivers in that way (at least I can't think of a way in which it could). Could it be that TR1 is set up for Sound Blaster Pro instead of Sound Blaster 16? What happens if you use VDos32 to run the TR1 setup.exe, and try to autodetect (if it works it takes a fair few seconds, by the way)?

Reply 49 of 49, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh no sorry!!! Carmageddon you said. Its very early days for VDos32: so far I've implemented only what is required for TR1 to run. That's possibly 90% of what is needed by all games, but each of the others will need extra little tweaks.