VOGONS

Common searches

Everyone but me

Topic actions

First post, by Ernie2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi , i saw your Texturpack Screenshots and downloaded it, and i followd the insturctions from X´tra page, but in the texture menu of Glidos there is no JC in the rollout were the names have to be!
Did i something wrong???
No matter what i try, i always see only the normal textures, and the loading time of the levels is very long

Please help me! 😕

Reply 2 of 23, by Ernie2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK i solved this problem by my selfe! If someone has the same Problem, here the solution!
I am using a germnan version of WIN XP and ther is no folder "Program files" becouse it is called in german "Programme".
Glidos istals itself into "Programme" And thats all!!!
Make a folder "Program Files" and instal all there and it works in the german version too 😉

Reply 4 of 23, by Ernie2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Glidos, as well as the texture packs ar automaticly installed into the "Programme" Folder in the german version of win XP, but XP makes a difference between "Programme" and "Program files". Normaly most Programs automaticly create a new folder named "Program files" But Glidos dont. And with installed in the "Programme" Folder Glidos works only in normal mode, but not with texture packs! For german XP, the user has to create a folder named "Program files" by himself and has to install glidos and the packs there and then all works fine.

Reply 6 of 23, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That doesn't sound right. "Program Files" is a system folder and will be flagged as such even in another language. As long as Glidos (and any other program) use the environment value for this folder, it should always install correctly. Texture packs should also work OK as they use WinRAR self-extractor which also picks up the folder name from the system.

My guess is Glidos installer has it hard-coded -- dunno why WinRAR should also be getting it wrong though?

Reply 10 of 23, by Ernie2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can only repeat what i said before! Glidos has installed itself two times into "Programme" and it does not work then with texture packs. Mayby u are right and Glidos was fine, but the texurepacks were in the wrong place. Now it works fine with everything in the Program files folder!

Reply 12 of 23, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, I just tried an install of Glidos again to test and it appears to be hard coded to install to C:\Program Files as my system drive is D:\ and it doesn't pick that up -- come to think of it, it never did -- I've always had to move it to D:\ after installation. (Though of course you can manually edit the install location in the text entry box during install).

I think Ernie is mistaken and WD is correct.

EDIT: reading above again, Ernie says that Glidos installs into Programme, so I'm wrong. I got confused. However, why should this prevent texture packs from working as according to Ernie, they also go into Programme...?

Paul, are there some hard-coded refs to "%SYSDRIVE%\Program Files" in there?

Reply 13 of 23, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ernie, you seem to be saying two different things. Please can you CLEARLY state in numbered steps exactly what you're doing, then we can help understand the problem better. There should be no reason for you to create a "Program Files" folder UNLESS there is a bug in Glidos.

Reply 14 of 23, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Browsing the Glidos installer:
C:\Program Files\Glidos wb
looks hardcoded, and that's what shows up as the default installation
location as well, no matter what language chosen (which shouldn't
matter, well...)

The texture packs seem to correctly identify the program files
folder as C:\Programme here.

Reply 16 of 23, by Ernie2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok......again.....!

Glidos trys to install itself into PROGRAMME and it works! but if i install texturpacks to PROGRAMME too, it wont work. ( Glidos yes, texturepack no)
If i make a folder PROGRAM FILES and install both there it all works fine

Clear enough?

Reply 17 of 23, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Do you mean Glidos will install to PROGRAMME if you edit the string in the dialog box?

The thing is, I've taken a look at the source, and I just have code that copies the string "Program Files" into that edit box, so it would be strange if Glidos was using "PROGRAMME" automatically.

Reply 18 of 23, by Ernie2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In the german version of Windows XP, games and programms wich are ment to be installed on english windows often install themselfs AUTOMATICALY into the GERMAN VERSION OF PROGRAM FILES, WICH IS CALLED PROGRAMME, it is an Windows automatic funktion to make them install there. When i install Glidos i do not change anything. German Windows makes Glidos to install itself into Programme insted of Program Files. Also the Textur packs do that. The difference is that both in "Programme" ( Wich, as i said is the defoult german program files folder) do not work, both in Programfiles DO WORK FINE but i have to make this folder called "Program Files" by my own, becous the german Windows XP dosent know a folder called Programm files! It never has a folder called like that, not even Win 98 had that! in germany it always was called Programme, and in this folder, wich glidos is automaticaly directed to, it only works in normal mode, but not with Textures!
I hope that was Clear enough to be understandable for everyone 😵

Reply 19 of 23, by tannerstevo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So what you are saying is that even though glidos is installed in the programme folder, it still looks for the texture packs in the program files\glidos\textures folder.