VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Agent_Orange89

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was wondering if there was any way to stop Carmageddon from suddenly crashing all the time, specifically on the third level?

I've also narrowed down the event I believe that causes the game to crash, its whenever my car or the opponents' cars hit the red and white poles.

Attachments

• CRASH.JPG
    Filename
    CRASH.JPG
    File size
    110.31 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 12, by ErikGG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You could try and run that race natively in XP, not using the Glidos exe of carma but the original windows exe, then you can race out the game and start the fourth level without crashing in Glidos.

If XP/windows refuses to run the game, you could try out the latest CVS of DOSBox to run through that race.

Hope this helps...

Erik.

Read the new FAQ.doc

Reply 3 of 12, by Jumbles

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There's another post somewhere on these boards that has workarounds that apparently fix the bug when using dgvoodoo. I don't know if either of them would work with GliDOS as Audrey is currently having a holiday at the Sony Repair Centre in France.

It was a user called Dornkirk that came up with this so all credit goes to him, I'm just quoting his post as the original thread is HUGE!

After some testing I found two workarounds which seem to prevent the game from crashing in 'Fridge Racer'

For both workarounds you need to decrypt carmageddons .TXT files using the 'IWANTTOFIDDLE' cheat.

Workaround 1:
Open the file 'ICE.TXT', search for the string 'START OF PEDESTRIAN STUFF', delete all but the first ped and change the number of peds to 1. You will lose all peds, barrels and mines, but the posts will break if you hit them hard enough.

Workaround 2:
Open the file 'ICE.TXT', search for the string 'Non CarObjects', delete the line 'CONE.TXT' and set the number of non car objects to 3. You will keep all peds, barrels and mines, but the posts will be rocksolid.

Personally I'd go for the second one as I don't see the point of Carmageddon without pedestrians!

I'll try it out when I get Audrey back and report back unless someone else wants to try it out.

Jumbles

Reply 4 of 12, by Agent_Orange89

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As jumbles suggested... years ago... I edited my ice.txt to make the poles rock solid and that seemed to fix the problem with the greatest of ease so I could progress through the game as intended. I'll attach my altered version if anyone else cares to give it a try!

Just drop it into your carma\data\races folder and replace the original ice.txt

Attachments

• Filename
    ICE.TXT
    File size
    195.07 KiB
    Downloads
    575 downloads
    File license

Reply 5 of 12, by Jumbles

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can't remember if I ever played Carmageddon when I got my computer back but when I got a reply notification this morning I decided to give it another go and I too can confirm that the 2nd fix works. I've had to edit ICE2.TXT as another level suffered the same problem (I think it's called Chiller) and I have a feeling I'm going to have to edit ICE3.TXT as well.

Reply 6 of 12, by Agent_Orange89

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Looks like you're right, chiller freezes too! for whatever reason I never could get that fiddle cheat to work, but the carmagedit editor works all the same. I haven't tested these files yet but it incorporates the same trick. So maybe this time I'll get past the level, really gotta save more often!

Hopefully this will put the crashing/freezing problems to an end!

Attachments

• Filename
    ICE2.TXT
    File size
    193.92 KiB
    Downloads
    546 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    ICE3.TXT
    File size
    197.18 KiB
    Downloads
    589 downloads
    File license

Reply 8 of 12, by Jumbles

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was going to post a confirmation too but I've just been having so much fun driving the Interceptor around and destroying everything in sight. 😈

I'd forgotten how tough the opposition gets in the last few levels. I spent over 90 minutes battling just one car! 😅

It might be coming on for 12 years old but it's still one of the best driving games out there! 😁

Reply 9 of 12, by Agent_Orange89

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

yeah the last few levels were insane! when they throw dumpy in there and faust (tank-car) it takes me forever to kill 'em off cause I really don't want to do the 10 billion lap race!

now I'm just putzing with the splat pack... too bad it suffers major texture problems[/img]

Attachments

• Filename
    flashing.JPG
    File size
    152.51 KiB
    Downloads
    576 downloads
    File license

Reply 10 of 12, by Jumbles

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I managed to buy the Max Pack on eBay a few years ago and had major (seemingly random) crashing problems with the Splat Pack but I'll give it another go. Hopefully it's something as simple as the three ICE maps in the original.

Reply 11 of 12, by mr_zen256

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys, I have been looking for a carmageddon fix for ages! Thank you so much for this 😁

I noticed a side effect for these patches though. It seems the sky texture gets removed and also the reflection maps (on car windscreens etc). Not sure if this is unavoidable or not.

Thanks again for this! Legendary 😁

Reply 12 of 12, by Barry_Purplelips

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mr_zen256 wrote:

I noticed a side effect for these patches though. It seems the sky texture gets removed and also the reflection maps (on car windscreens etc). Not sure if this is unavoidable or not.

Does it happen in regular, non-3dfx mode?