VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by bdwilcox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When I run Blood in GLiDOS, I have thin, flashing white lines on top and bottom of the screen. I also can't seem to get cutscenes to work. I have the Blood CD, so I added appropriate lines for the cutscene files to the Blood.ini, but the movies still won't play. Is this a limitation of the Blood version found on the GLiDOS website?

System:

Operating System: XP SP2 w/ DirectX9c
Motherboard: Intel D865GBF
CPU: 2.4 GHz P4 with HT
Memory: 1.5 GBs
Hard Drive: 120GB Seagate
Video Card: 128MB ATI Radeon 9800XT with Catalyst 6.7 or 6.9
Sound: Integrated SoundMax
Emulated Sound: Latest Beta of VDMSound
GLiDOS: 1.36 in OpenGL mode

Reply 2 of 8, by bdwilcox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, I looked again and the thin, flashing white line goes around the entire screen, not just top and bottom. I upgraded to Catalyst 7.1 and the line remained. I then switched GLiDOS to DirectX mode and the line disappeared. Either it's a bug in the Catalyst drivers or GLiDOS.

Reply 3 of 8, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It may be a bug in OpenGLide then, since that's the component that is cut out of the picture when you set DirectX - or maybe a bug in Blood that is shown up by OpenGlide. It may be that Blood isn't drawing the entire screen, and the initial contents of buffers are visible (although strange its always white).

I can't get Blood to run at all here on my 8800

Reply 4 of 8, by bdwilcox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It appears to be a flashing white line, but upon closer inspection, the flashing pixels are cycling through various colors (though they are predominately white most of time, which makes it appear to be white). It's kind of like multi-colored static or interference only a pixel or two wide encircling the screen.

Is there any way to get a screen shot of this in GLiDOS?

P.S. How about the cut scenes not playing? Is this indeed a general limitation of Monolith's 3dfx patch rather than GLiDOS or the GLiDOS version of Blood?

Reply 5 of 8, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have seen the flashing white lines, so I know what you mean. When I can get Blood running again, I'll take another look, see if I can figure out the cause. You say the problem doesn't occur with the DirectX setting. Is there any problem with using that?

The cut scenes: I've never had them work. It could easily be the 3dfx patch. It was only ever released as a beta, I believe.

Reply 6 of 8, by Wintermute

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, I had the same problem; cutscenes only work without the 3dfx patch.
But in my opinion the patch isn't worth it anyway. You may get filtered textures, but at the same time lose the three dimensional voxel objects.

But as Glidos already said, there is only a beta version of the patch available.

Reply 7 of 8, by bdwilcox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

DirectX is fine for now. With my setup, it's slower than OpenGL, showing occassional hiccups and pauses. Nothing major, though.

Was more wondering if there was something wrong with my system or configuration.