VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Devil Master

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I noticed that all GliDOS screenshots are windowed. Is there a way to play in full screen?

Reply 4 of 13, by Devil Master

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a problem with GliDos in full screen. I tried to run Screamer Rally with it, in full screen at the resolution of 800*600, with the psVoodoo wrapper. It's incredibly slow, I think it runs at 1 fps. If I run it in a widow, it runs fine.
I have almost the same problem with dgVoodoo, where Screamer Rally runs at 1 fps if I choose the resolution from the GUI, while it runs smoothly if I let the application set the resolution.
Why does this happen? Is there a solution?

Reply 6 of 13, by Devil Master

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Are you sure you are running the 3dfx version?

Yes, I configured GliDOS to lauch the executable named sr3fx.exe, which is the 3DFX version.

Have you tried selecting 16bit rendering from Glidos's menu?

Yep. It remains slow anyway.

Have you tried OpenGL under Glidos?

It would run fine in OpenGL mode... except that the OpenGlide wrapper does not support stereoscopy with the Windows XP nVidia drivers.

Reply 7 of 13, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You may be in luck... or not. We'll see.

Try selecting under "Extras" "Disable LFB reads" and "Delay LFB writes" Those two options were added to Glidos for Screamer 2. Difficult to explain how windowed/full screen good come into it though, so I don't know whether to be too hopeful.

Reply 8 of 13, by Devil Master

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey, thanks! It worked!
At first I thought I had done something wrong because I did get to run the game at correct speed but couldn't get stereoscopy to work, but then I tried to replace the psVoodoo Glide2x.dll with the one provided with dgVoodoo and... I finally ran Screamer Rally in stereoscopy!

Now, if I could just get audio to work...

Reply 9 of 13, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Great! Glad that worked.

I didn't quite understand: so is it that you still need to use dgVoodoo in place of psVoodoo to get the stereoscopy effect, but by running via Glidos with those settings you get the speed?

Reply 10 of 13, by Devil Master

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The only "piece" from dgVoodoo I used is the file glide2x.dll. I opened GliDOS as I do normally, I set it up to use "psVoodoo" (actually, the DLL from dgVoodoo), ran the game through it with those settings and it ran fine.

I just made another test. I actually tried to run Screamer Rally with dgVoodoo, but I selected "Disable LFB access for write" in the Glide settings for DOS. The game ran fine, but none of the 2D elements (starting logos, circuit pictures, speedometer, arrows) were displayed. The same happened with "Disable LFB access". Instead, with GliDOS everything looked like it was supposed to.

Reply 11 of 13, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Its all making sense now. I was talking rubbish before. Stereoscopy should be possible with a Glide wrapper. Most games use z or w buffering, and wrappers usually reconstruct z from w, so we do have 3D coordinates. What was confusing me was thinking that Direct3D would have problems because it would be seeing coordinates only after the perspective mapping, but of course that must be ok otherwise stereoscopy would have been possible only since T&L came out.

Also I know why it doesn't work with psVoodoo. psVoodoo is DX9 based, which makes things difficult for Glide Wrappers. Under DX9, you get no useful access to the front buffer. Because of that, rendering has to be a two stage process. The second stage is just a blit, with no 3D coordinates.

Reply 12 of 13, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In my head, all I hear is "ahsgas sdkfjrdoiuto ;lkhgt[pyt #';nb'#:g#;hkhp['pjg hp[jo hg[pjopoj[p[jopo[y luygp[o[p Glidos ir;ojghj jk DX9 dlf;ksgj jg dflkjg lfsjg lfdskjgj"
😀