VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've just released new versions of Glidos and VDos32.

The main difference is improved support for Tomb Rainder I on 32bit Vista. The FMVs now play full screen and the background music doesn't continue through the FMVs.

Also VDos32 now supports Descent II.

64bit Vista still isn't supported.

Reply 1 of 58, by tizerist

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

AHA!
well i found it (although the 'versions' section of the vdos website won't show you the new one!?)

intro / music problem: seemingly sorted. well played!

full screen FMV though has slowed the footage down to about 2% of what it used to be, and is unwatchable, and also has a nasty scratching sound over it.

Reply 2 of 58, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Glidos link is in Paul's profile. The Glidos site also points to VDos32.

http://www.glidos.net/
http://www.vdos32.com/

I don't have any problem with the FMVs under 32-bit XP. Are you running Vista?

Reply 6 of 58, by tizerist

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm, yeah dgvoodoo mode was alot better, but it was still unwatchable, and cuts out in this mode. clicking the mouse did nothing.

about the graphics card thing, i don't know to be honest.
i will try to remember how to open my graphics card settings and have a look.

for me though, i'm fine to not use VDOS32. But if you want me to keep experimenting i will.

its just that the FMV's play on my monitor, and the actual game plays on my TV (which is now the primary display device) so i have to keep them both on, but i'm happy with that.

tell me what you reckon.

Reply 7 of 58, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No, you'd best stick with non-VDos32. Thanks for trying it out.

For the FMVs playing on your monitor, try enabling Glidos's VESA emulation. Should make the FMVs play on the TV. Might give the same
problems as with VDos32, but that would be interesting to know.

What graphics card do you have. If it uses ATI or nVidia chips its always worth grabbing the latest drivers from the relevant web site.

Reply 8 of 58, by 2007Jenn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there,

Just wanted to let you know - the new versions of Glidos and VDOS32 run well on (my) Vista 32-bit. They no longer require unlocking after re-booting and play FMVs in full screen - cheers!

Now if we could sort out the sound... 😉

Reply 10 of 58, by 2007Jenn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi again,

Yep, sound is still a bugbear. In the FMVs you cna hear some sound, but it is very sluggish / crackling and very out of sync with the pictures. For the In-game Cut Scenes Animations (not too sure if this is the right term - e.g. when Lara is talking to Larson at the end of the Tomb of Qualopec level) there is no sound at all.

Also, ambient music (e.g. from memory, wind noises in the St. Francis' Folly level) does not play at all.

Finally 'action sounds' such as walking, gun, enemy noises are very sluggish and crackly, but they do play.

HTH - if not, let me know if you need more detail.

Reply 11 of 58, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ah right. The cut scene's sound tracks, and the ambient noises are CD tracks. VDos32 has no support for CD audio at the moment, but you don't really need it when using Glidos; you can use the audio packs, which provide the same sounds in MP3 form.

The FMVs and gun noises are played via VDos32's Sounds Blaster emulations. Not sure what is wrong with that. It works fine here, but that's running under XP.

When you say sluggish, is that delayed or is the tone wrong?

Reply 12 of 58, by 2007Jenn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I didn't know about the audio packs - will look into them...

I am sure Vista is the problem! It's not (yet) a good O/S IMO.

For the FMVs the sound is both delayed and the wrong tone. For example, when Lara speaks to Larson in the opening FMV it sounds garbled like she is underwater and it is also a few seconds out of sync with the pictures.

The walking / gun noises are also slow and crackle a bit - however I do believe they are the correct pitch?

Reply 14 of 58, by rimsky82

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just decided to get Tomb Raider 1 out today, after hearing about the upcoming anniversary. I got the new versions of your programs, the sound pack, and texture packs, and came across the sound problem.
I am running Vista Ultimate (32-bit) and am willing to help you correct the problem so that we vista users can play with good sound. Everything else works great so far, although I haven't actually started to play the game yet, only noticed the crackly audio at the title screen.

Let me know what info you need to help identify the problem.

Reply 15 of 58, by rimsky82

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have fixed the sound issue, I loaded up the tomb raider setup.exe in vdos32 and changed the sound card from sound blaster 16 to just the regular sound blaster and it's working now. The only problem I'm having now, and probably the last problem I will deal with, is the game freezes when I try to change the controls.

The sound isn't quite 100% in the FMV's, but much, much better and definetly watchable.

I did notice when I hit the test button in the setup program, the sound was cut off a little short. I will let you know if that happens in game.

Reply 17 of 58, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Glidos wrote:

Gives people a temporary solution while I sort out what is wrong with VDos32.

Mmm, Rimsky's comment is interesting. Maybe the SB16 issue is not specific to VDos32. As far as I can remember, I've never been able to use SB16 in TR1 (Glidos + VDMS under 2000/XP). I always got the cracky sounds described above.

Reply 19 of 58, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
Glidos wrote:

Maybe the timing gets more critical when using 16bit sound. It seems to work here without crackling, but maybe its more prone to being thrown out of sync by system variation.

I don't know how much SoundBlaster code that is shared between VDMSound, Glidos, VDOS32 and DOSBox, but if there is some sharing going on, maybe the thread here will be of interest:

Wing Commander III - Sound issues

I heard a distinct improvement when choosing 8-bit SB sound instead of SB-16.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions